Kung Fu movies with Rise and Fall Gangster stories?

Omni Dragon

Can anyone recommend any kung fu/martial art movies that have a rise and fall gangster story? Like The Boxer from Shantung, Man of Iron and the Chinatown Kid.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU

Are you talking Shaw Bros level? There are several of those, especially Brotherhood being one of the best. Also, Disciples of Shaolin is a remake of Boxer From Shantung, basically. Big Boss of Shanghai is another. Also, find Furious Slaughter and Mu Yun Shen, though Wang Yu plays basically a good guy, Ma Yung Shen was a gangster. There are dozens of low budget ones- End of the Black, Magnificent Two, etc. Tell us the level or quality. Also To Kill A Jaguar, but that is all cut up horribly.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Oh hellz yeah this is my kind of martial arts movie. I'll go with the obvious and most recent one, The Man From Nowhere, The Raid, The Raid 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

37 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Oh hellz yeah this is my kind of martial arts movie. I'll go with the obvious and most recent one, The Man From Nowhere, The Raid, The Raid 2

36 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

The Way Of The Dragon? Game Of Death? 

I believe the "gangster rise and fall" concept demands the protagonist to be the gangster in question and the one who rises and falls. Those titles doesn't fall within those parameters.

OpiumKungFuCracker
17 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I believe the "gangster rise and fall" concept demands the protagonist to be the gangster in question and the one who rises and falls. Those titles doesn't fall within those parameters.

Ah gotcha. The Raid 2 is closed to that right? Well, he went undercover though and then at the end with all those dudes showed up at the warehouse, For sure he didn't come out that place alive, right? 

If you aren't against series, I would add Once upon a time in Shanghai (TVB), which is Adam Cheng's remake of Chow Yun Fat's The bund(TVB). I haven't watched this latter, but I watched the remake and it should fit your description of rise and fall gangster movies. You can find the synopsis on yesasia, or read my review in the section "reviews on TVB and ATV series", or something like that, I don't remember the exact title I chose for my thread, sorry.

Not much Kung Fu going on but there is still some to be found ...

Hero (1997) directed by Corey Yuen would fit that bill

11 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Tell us the level or quality.

Any quality.

5 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Kill bill 1 and 2? 

I'd say Kill Bill is more of a lone individuals revenge story.

4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

You can find the synopsis on yesasia, or read my review in the section "reviews on TVB and ATV series", or something like that, I don't remember the exact title I chose for my thread, sorry.

'Reviews on TVB/ATV/Taiwanese series'

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/21436-reviews-on-tvbatvtaiwanese-series/

sifu iron perm
2 hours ago, danthemandmv said:

''HONG KONG GODFATHER'' starring Beardy & Shek Kin

this is an underrated gem. i love it. 

On 1/12/2020 at 7:38 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:
On 1/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, ShawAngela said:

You can find the synopsis on yesasia, or read my review in the section "reviews on TVB and ATV series", or something like that, I don't remember the exact title I chose for my thread, sorry.

'Reviews on TVB/ATV/Taiwanese series'

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/21436-reviews-on-tvbatvtaiwanese-series/

Ah, thanks for the link.

Actually, I posted the review of Once upon a time in Shanghai in the section Adam Cheng's TV series :

I wonder...

There is a Mainland series ( I think ) with Chen Kuan Tai playing the same role as David Chiang in Boxer From Shantung, showing that Ma Yong Zhen AND his sister arrive in a city, where they loose each other due to a protestation, if I remember well, and after some tribulations, they finally reunite and he becomes a  big boss, but have many enemies. As he is about to escape with his sister and brother-in-law who wait for him  at the train station, he is killed by the axe gang while trying to save the woman he has fallen for (or while having his last dinner with her, because she is an enemy's daughter or former girlfriend, I don't remember).

I don't know if the ATV series shows the same story, but it seems to me that the series must be more faithful to his real story than a  single movie. 

In the movie Ma Su Chen, Ma Yong Zhen is depicted as  a guy who can't stand injustices of life and fight the villains for justice and there is no mention of him being a big boss, and, if I'm not mistaken, there is no such mention either in the movies Queen boxer and Kung fu Mama, So, who knows what is true or not regarding the real story of Ma Yong Zhen...The only thing in common in all the movies and series about him, is that he is seen as a great and virtuous hero by people.

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 1/24/2020 at 1:05 PM, Killer Meteor said:

How much is actually known about Ma Yong-Zhen?

From the Chinese Wikipedia, might include errors from translation: Ma Yong Zhen was born 1840 in Qiu County in Shandong, today's province of Hebei, he died April 13, 1879. He was a boxer in the late Qing Dynasty (most movie and tv adaptations are set in the 1920/30s) . Learned the martial arts and handling horses from early age. After he left his hometown he lived on martial arts, repeatedly competed in Zhoukou, Henan and Yangzhou, Jiangsu. Later he went to Shanghai to train students, he was the first martial artist to teach Cha Quan in Shanghai. He also dealt in horses and often travelled to Mongolia. 1861 he defeated Steve, the previous horse racing champion on the Shanghai Racecourse (today's People's Square and People's Park). He was a military instructor in the Qing Dynasty prefecture of Songjiang. April 13, 1879 he was invited to tea at the One Dongtian Teahouse (then located on Nanjing East Road, Jinhua Road), he was taken to a hospital and died. 

- The cause and circumstances of his death are not explained. The text mentions the 1927 movie MA YONG ZHEN OF SHANDONG where his younger sister comes to Shanghai to kill his enemies but declares this as fiction. The wiki text includes two footnotes, one is "The true Story of legendary boxer Ma Yong Zhen, a legendary boxer in Qiu County, a brave and tough man" by Yang Guowei, Yan Zhao City Network 2013-05-22, the other "Ma Yong Zhen, Huo Yun Jia, Huang Fei Hong: Three Fake Martial Arts Heroes" Phoenix Net, 2010-09-25. The footnote links do not work, at least not on my laptop. 

MA YONG ZHEN OF SHANDONG on hkmdb http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=12610&display_set=eng

MaYongzhenfromShandong+1927-1-b.jpg

Zhang Hui Chong as Ma Yong Zhen in the centre

Thank You so much for your clarification.

From what you describe at the beginning and From what I remember of what I saw when I tested the discs, it seems that the ATV series should be the most faithful to Ma Yong Zhen' s true story.

I can't believe that someone claims that neither Huo Yuan Jia nor Huang Fei Hong were true persons  !!

Chu Liu Hsiang

I guess the claim is not that they didn't exist but that (details of) their real lifes did not correspond with the legends built around them (which is true for ANY historical person). 

1 hour ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I guess the claim is not that they didn't exist but that (details of) their real lifes did not correspond with the legends built around them (which is true for ANY historical person). 

Ah, yes, then, I understand better the claim...

OpiumKungFuCracker

Isn't Michael Chan a triad member? The dude been in a shitload of classics, I just don't remember the names of them. His tattoo on his back makes him look super dangerous. 

47 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Isn't Michael Chan a triad member?

In a media interview, he admitted to have been the No. 2 the 14K Triad that dominated vice in Tsim Sha Tsui before the handover of Hong Kong.

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chan_(actor)

Archived