Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (2023) - Tom Cruise, Rebecca Ferguson, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames

AlbertV

Production is set to begin later this year on the seventh installment of the Mission: Impossible franchise, which stars Tom Cruise as M:I agent Ethan Hunt. The previous installment, Fallout, scored the biggest ratings and highest gross in the franchise and now, director Christopher McQuarrie plans to shoot this and the eighth installment back-to-back.

For this next film, Rebecca Ferguson, Ving Rhames, and Simon Pegg are returning. New cast members will include some Marvel favorites and a now former X-Man: Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter), Pom Klementieff (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2's Mantis), and Nicholas Hoult (Hank "Beast" McCoy of the recent X-Men series) along with Shea Whigham. All the new roles are being kept under wraps at this time.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/nicholas-hoult-joins-mission-impossible-7/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Glad to hear the positives. Ghost Protocol was a step down in the franchise for me. Then Rogue Nation and Fallout came out and assured that things got back up. They stuck with the same director too, who did those two outings (also made Cruise look great in Jack Reacher). That's how you preserve consistency while raising the bar with the latest follow-up.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

I watched the first movie and loved it, but I haven't seen another one since then. I'm going to have to remedy that at some point. 

• Like 1

I was distinctly underwhelmed. The big stunt I'd seen lots of times oin the trailer, and frankly I thought the script was execrable. The ten minute exposition scene at the start, the constant pickpocketing of the key despite apparently being the most important key in the world, and I really disliked Hayley Atwell's character, who isn't anywhere near as interesting as Rebecca Ferguson's IIsa.

I did enjoy Pom Klemmemtieff and the last forty minutes or so on the train was up there with the very best MI setpieces.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've always enjoyed this series. I lost track of it for the next couple of movies, but looking forward to catching up soon.

How would you rank this latest entry among the other MI?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 2:12 PM, Agent U said:

How would you rank this latest entry among the other MI?

I've yet to see the new one. But here's how I'd rank the other installments:

1. M:I

2. Fallout

3. Rogue Nation

4. M:I3

5. M:I2

6. Ghost Protocol

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

My list goes...

1. Fallout

2. Rogue Nation

3, Ghost Protocol

4. Mission: Impossible III

5. Dead Reckoning Part 1

6. Mission: Impossible

7. Mission: Impossible II

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Dead Reckoning was a fantastic movie, sad that it didn't have the box office reaction it deserved...

My ranking of M:I fliks

1: Fallout

2: Dead Reckoning

3: Rogue Nation

4: Ghost Protocol

5: M:I

6 M:I 2

7 M:I 3

Honestly a wild and entertaining ride from start to finish!

However, it's not without its faults. Some scenes are just needlessly dragged out.

What's even more surprising considering the budget and the work ethic and hence demand for quality Tom Cruise has for himself and his crew some of the CGI looks incredibly sloppy.

Also last but not least if one would feel malicious I'd say these movies are now at a point to only serve Tom Cruise's hunger (ego?) for adrenaline and recognition. And yes kudos to him to do all this crazy shit!

Overall highly recommended and I share the sentiment that it fell victim to "Barbenheimer" this summer.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, laagi said:

Honestly a wild and entertaining ride from start to finish!

However, it's not without its faults. Some scenes are just needlessly dragged out.

What's even more surprising considering the budget and the work ethic and hence demand for quality Tom Cruise has for himself and his crew some of the CGI looks incredibly sloppy.

Also last but not least if one would feel malicious I'd say these movies are now at a point to only serve Tom Cruise's hunger (ego?) for adrenaline and recognition. And yes kudos to him to do all this crazy shit!

Overall highly recommended and I share the sentiment that it fell victim to "Barbenheimer" this summer.

Tom Cruise is obviously an adrenaline junkie these days.

Still, despite all the side stuff that surrounds him, most of which is not really anyone's business, I still feel he works really well as an action star, which is a lot more than I can say about most others in this field.

And Dead Reckoning was clearly more of a victim of very bad timing than anything else. 

• Like 1