Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022) - Elsie Fisher, Sarah Yarkin, Jacob Latimore, Olwen Fouere, Mark Burnham

AlbertV

Legendary Pictures has scored the rights to bring a new Texas Chainsaw Massacre film to the forefront. A rumored idea is to bring a sequel ala the 2018 Halloween film (but focus solely on the Sawyers with the passing of Marilyn Burns in 2014), where all the sequels and reboots are retconned to have an official sequel set after all these years. That's just speculation. Two news have been confirmed though.

Fede Alvarez, who helmed the acclaimed remake of The Evil Dead, Don't Breathe, and The Girl in the Spider's Web will produce the film and Chris Thomas Devlin will be writing the new film. Kim Henkel, the co-creator of the original 1974 film with the late Tobe Hooper, will serve as executive producer. Henkel and Alvarez are currently collaborating to find a director for the new film.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3584086/fede-alvarez-texas-chainsaw-massacre-exclusive/

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3594724/chris-thomas-devlin-writing-texas-chainsaw-massacre-reboot-producer-fede-alvarez/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Irish brothers Ryan and Andy Tohill, who directed a thriller called The Dig have signed on to direct the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre film. Alvarez was impressed with the vision the Tohills pitched and it's happening. It is said it will be a complete reboot of the original 1974 film.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51447806

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-reboot/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Shooting on the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre began last week in Bulgaria, but Legendary were unhappy with the footage they saw. As a result, the Tohill Brothers exited the project due to "creative differences". However, a replacement was found right away in award-winning cinematographer David Blue Garcia. Garcia is starting from scratch on the new film, which looks to be retconning all the sequels (and reboots) a la 2018's Halloween, as Leatherface is now a man in his 60s in the film. The cast includes Elsie Fisher, Jacob Latimore, Sarah Yarkin, and Moe Dunford. Aside from Fede Alvarez and producing teammate Rodo Sayagues, TCM co-creator Kim Henkel is producing alongside his son Ian Henkel and Pat Cassidy

According to sources, the film will revolve around two sisters, the older a businesswoman from San Francisco who takes her wheelchair-bound younger sister with her to Texas on a business trip only to eventually find themselves to come face to face with a now elder Leatherface. I wonder how this will be connected to the 1974 original. Will the infamous Sawyer house be involved in this "business" that the older sister is involved? Sadly, Gunnar Hansen will not be reprising the role due to his passing in 2015. Maybe Dan Yeager who played Leatherface in the 2013 film could return. He actually made a good elder Leatherface IMO.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/texas-chainsaw-sequel-directors-exit-1234582095/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

texas-chainsaw-massacre-2021-poster-405x

It is confirmed that this will follow the Halloween formula and will be a direct sequel set many years after the 1974 original.

• Like 3

I was looking at the cast for the new movie and it looks like Alice Krige (Sleepwalkers) is replacing the late Marilyn Burns as an elderly Sally Hardesty. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 11:32 AM, AlbertV said:

I was looking at the cast for the new movie and it looks like Alice Krige (Sleepwalkers) is replacing the late Marilyn Burns as an elderly Sally Hardesty. 

IMDB has two actresses listed to play Sally Hardesty. I can actually see the other actress listed as Sally as she resembles the character more: Irish actress Olwen Fouere.

Olwen%20Fouere.jpg

• Like 2

Fede Alvarez talked about the new TCM film and does confirm it is a retcon a la Halloween and talked about the tone of the film:

“It is a direct sequel, and it is the same character. It is old man Leatherface. Everything is classic, old school gags. A lot of the approach that we had with ‘Evil Dead’ – never VFX, to do everything on camera. It’s a very old school approach to filmmaking. Vintage lenses… it’s very similar to the original film.”

This sounds actually...very exciting IMO. I am looking forward to it. 

• Like 3

Oh dear. So apparently there was a test screening and it received a very negative reaction. One aspect that fans were unhappy with is that they were attempting to make Sally Hardesty like Laurie Strode in 2018's Halloween. This was from a YouTube video from a Mr. H. How Legendary is going to fix things up are in the air at this time, but here's the video about the test screening:

• Like 1

Legendary Pictures has sold the film to be a Netflix exclusive

https://www.slashfilm.com/590423/new-texas-chainsaw-massacre-movie-will-hunt-kill-eat-travelers-at-netflix-now/

Fede Alvarez mentioned that the score of the test screenings were actually good, almost to Don't Breathe and Don't Breathe 2. So now that it's going to Netflix, I'll have to check it out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Hasn't every sequel practically been a retcon of its own?

Pretty much but this is the mother of retcon. Legendary Pictures made the film and with Fede Alvarez as producer I'm hoping for more old school tactics like the original. 

Only Parts 1 and 2 were connected. The character of Chop-Top was revealed to be in Vietnam during the 1st film's events and is the twin brother of the Hitchhiker (who became a puppet in the 2nd film)

Just don't get me started on "The Next Generation" LOL

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

I love the original ending with Leatherface swinging the chainsaw around in the daytime. Usually horror characters are shown in the dark or moody lighting but seeing him in broad daylight made it feel more real.

Part 4 was awful especially Matthew McConaughey's character. So annoying.

I can't see the new movie being great. Gory as hell probably but boring.

• Like 1

The date is set and the first images are here: February 18, 2022 on Netflix. Fede Alvarez had this to say about what to expect from the new Leatherface:

“It’s basically the same character, who is still alive. Our take on it was this guy probably disappeared after everything he’s done. You know, how do you catch a guy who has a mask? Once he removes the mask and runs away, it’s very easy for him to hide somewhere. This story will pick it up many, many years after the original story. He’s been in hiding for a long, long time, trying to be a good person. These people arriving in this town are going to awaken the giant.”

image.jpeg?ssl=1
Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre.jpeg?ssl=1

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

That looks actually pretty good. I can imagine if Gunnar Hansen still alive and returning to the iconic role looking like how Mark Burnham looks from that angle of him holding the face up. I think I might be all in. 

• Like 2

There's also a new video game based on the film franchise that will be released this year, from the makers of Friday the 13th: The Game

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Here's the first image of Olwen Fouere as the original final girl, Sally Hardesty. She replaces Marilyn Burns, who passed away in 2014.

olwen-sally.jpg?ssl=1

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

That bus scene cracked me up!:BL-Laughing: I hope there's a little comedy in it, for sure that will get me interested in seeing another one of these horror franchises from way back. Never seen the new halloween movie that came out and I'm also super curious about Rob Zombie's The Munsters lmao. 

• Like 2

David Blue Garcia, who hails from Texas, introduces a scene involving Nell Hudson's character about to meet Leatherface

• Like 1