Calling Shaw experts: Dirty Ho question...

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

I remember reading something a long, long time ago about LKL's Dirty Ho being based on some pre-existing material ie. book, old folk tale etc. but I can't find any evidence of it anymore. Might have been on the old forum back in the day. All I recall is some vague info about Ni Kuang borrowing the whole "rotten head Ho" concept from some literary source, but that's it, and if it's true or not, I have no idea. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chen Hung Lieh

I have no idea, but after looking around a little I found this old martial arts novel series:
http://book.kongfz.com/21700/1277364390
Its author 大圈地胆 (a.k.a. 黄健) is briefly mentioned in the Baidu text of the movie as well.
https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E7%83%82%E5%A4%B4%E4%BD%95

TibetanWhiteCrane

Have a little trouble navigating and understanding all this, but what I'm getting is that it actually was a literary figure before the film, yes? This might have been what was alluded to in the info I read years ago. Thanks for chiming in, CHL.

Chen Hung Lieh
1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

but what I'm getting is that it actually was a literary figure before the film, yes?

That's all what I can understand too (appears in Chu Yu-Chai's Wong Fei Hong biography, later main character in 大圈地胆's novel series). After some google researching I found another 烂头何(aka 何辉南), an inheritor of Choy gar style who lived 1874-1965. Don't know if that guy is the same one in the movie, maybe just coincidence. But a contemporary of Wong Fei-Hung.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Thanks for that valuable info, Panku........ was hoping to hear from you on this. I knew I hadn't imagined it.

Archived