What ever happened to shaw brothers actress Hui-Ling Liu?

Treacherous Mastermind

Treacherous Mastermind

I've seen Shaw Brothers actress Hui-Ling Liu in many Shaw Brothers and wondered what ever happened to her after the end of SB studios. It seems she was active in the movie industry until she disappeared suddenly in the 80s.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a link or a picture or some titles of movies in which she appeared ?

I can't find anything on hkmdb under this name.

24 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Ah, yes, I should have tried by putting Liu at first, thanks !

Unless I didn't understood weel, Baike site says that she died prematurately here :

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fr&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fbaike.baidu.com%2Fitem%2F刘慧玲%2F62647

But on the search page on google, it says that she is 69 years old and I checekd several links, and none of them talks about her death, so, she must be still alive.

It seems to me that I saw her in several TVB series, but I'm not 100% sure...At least, she is mentioned on baike as playing in the 1978 series Chu LIu Xiang with Adam Cheng.

I can't find anything else at this moment.

HKMDB lists her as playing a nurse in 77 Heartbreaks (2017) also with few other older actors like Kara Hui and Henry Yu.

The other day after reading this thread

I decided to count how many films I had seen all my favorite HK/Taiwan actors in. There are 165 actors that I keep track of and I was surprised to find that I had seen Lau Wai Ling in 57 films. Third place of all the women, with Ching Li in 2nd with 58 and Lily Li in 1st with 72.

She has a great mischievous look in her eye all the time, so unless it's been made clear, you can't tell whether she's going to be good or bad in a film until it's revealed.

I loved her in the first movie I saw her in, it was Virgins of the Seven Seas in a theater.

She was a heroine for me after I saw this movie, and I'm glad that she is still around !

13 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I loved her in the first movie I saw her in, it was Virgins of the Seven Seas in a theater.

Have seen it just once (from excellent quality german dvd) but I think it`s best Shaw foreign co-production.

But hopefully it changes as haven`t seen Shatter ever....

Did she get married somewhere in the 80s?  That could explain things.  Thirty four years is a long gap in appearances.

I think that she was also into music/compositing.

She is listed as one of the composers for A Borrowed Life. I cannot find my VHS of A Borrowed Life so I cannot check the credits.

She is also listed as the composer for The Love of Three Oranges (1999) and The Wall-Passer (2007).

All 3 movies are Taiwanese so she must have moved/settles there.

Archived