Ip Man: Kung Fu Master (2019)

Drunken Monk

First we get an Ip Man movie about undercover prisons, then OUTIC&A-esque Ip Man, and a Kato/Black Mask-esque Ip Man all in one year! I think that's a record!

I liked Dennis To as Ip Man but this is a little too ridiculous for me.

Edited by Ah_Tao
  • Like 2

I want to watch this movie, but I can’t sign up for Youku. Is there a way for westerners to do it legally?

Youku did show the first six minutes for free before telling me I had to sign up, but I couldn’t translate any of it.

The first six minutes were pretty decent, so I figured this Ip Man wouldn’t be a bad way to get my action fix.

• Like 2

After the first portrayal of Ip Man by Donnie Yen over a decade ago, one that brought him universal acclaim and three more parts starring the latter there's been countless spin-offs which has used the name of Ip Man. To most of us he's probably most known as being one of Bruce Lee's teachers during his early stages of training.

Now Ip Man has become a household name among Kung Fu fans and has joined the ranks of other folklore heroes such as Wong Fei Hung, Huo Yuan Jia, Chen Zhen, Fong Sai Yuk etc. Many of which had countless movie adaptions.

It remains debatable if any of these movies have any historical accuracy. Or any facts as a background whatsoever. What is noteworthy though at least to me is that every so often these heroes are used for propaganda or nationalism. Sadly this newest entry into a ever growing amount of Ip Man movies doesn't shy away from that too!

I can't help but think that the producers of Ip Man: KFM may have watched one too many Kung Fu movies themselves. This becomes apparent when almost everything you see on screen seems awfully familiar and at times almost blatantly copied. As for the story it's a mess of different ideas. Like mentioned before I'm not sure what they tried to achieve but at times it looks like a cheap best of something. Only that it's not really good. Lots can be forgiven as long as the action packs a punch, right? Well, unfortunately the movie is plagued by two things I've seen happening a lot recently. Overuse of slow-motion and close-ups. Used well this can add to a thrilling experience. But If I have to watch it in an endless loop it gets tiring after the second fight. Also add some poor cutting (not the worst I've seen) and there goes the last selling point.

What also becomes apparent that production may have suffered from budget constraints. Simple scenes like a train ride are poorly done. Also mild spoiler

Spoiler

it features one of the funniest child births I ever witnessed. That's one big ass baby!

One last thing I don't know what happened to this movie but the editing is extremely poor. Some key scenes which should feature some of the best fights one could assume, just cut off halfway through or are only hinted at. A very weird choice. Either the footage was not filmed or for some reason removed. It doesn't help an already poor overall viewing experience.

I haven't watched Ip Man Zero so I can't attest to Yu Hang To's overall protrayal as Ip Man. However here he pales in comparison to Donnie Yen in every way possible. Overall I'm disappointed and can't really recommend the movie. For fans of the genre it may be worth to take a peek but don't expect anything above average.

• Like 5

Ip Man 4 killed my enthusiasm for any more Ip Man movies for right now. They really should have stopped the Donnie Yen movies after Ip Man 3(At this point, I really think they should have stopped at the first one, as the others haven't aged well with me). The movies became way too much of, " China good! Rest of the world bad!" type of thing. 

• Like 3

This movie is terrible. There’s nothing more to it. @laagi summed it up perfectly. It’s blandly plotted, features no actual character development, rips off numerous movies (Ip Man even dons the famous Chen Zhen mask) and, to top of all off, the fight scenes are awful. Even without the close ups, frantic edits and slow motion it’s be Dennis To chain punching for three minutes straight.

This movie is a testament to how movie trailers can really trick you. Please, please don’t waste your money on this trash. It makes Ip Man 4 look like The Grandmaster.

• Like 6

I liked it. Perhaps because I watched Ip Man: The Four Kings shortly before. For a web movie it was surprisingly well made, the fights were plenty and exciting and I wasn't bothered by the shameless stealing and the shoddy plot.

• Like 3

I've lost interest in any new kung-fu films. Sad to say, but, in my opinion, HK theatrical films have gone to sh*t since mainland seems to have taken over. Every kung-fu film seems to be the same plot over and over and over with all originality sucked out of it! I look back on 70`s Shaw Brothers and 80`s Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao and even 90`s HK kung-fu cinema. There was so much excitement and freshness to everything. And, so many "jaw-dropping" moments it was a pure pleasure to watch, overall. Now, everything I see I've seen in at least 10 or 20 times before. It all seems like the same fight choreography, etc. The Ip Man series with Donnie Yen has been decent enough overall. Though, 4 was a little grating. 

Personally, I just have some issues with that trailer and the way Wing Chun is portrayed in it. But, yeah, another "Hero" movie. The only decent director/martial arts choreographer I have seen in the last few years is Xu Haofeng and it doesn't seem that he has been able to get a movie released in the last few years. Too bad he isn't doing more stuff. 

• Like 3

Kung fu movies, much like western and samurai movies, have gone out in fashion and no longer has anything new to tell. These sub-genres are limited in themes and concepts, and because of the particular time period the movies are set in you can't just go your way of showing whatever you like (unless you're breaking out of that tradition doing a crossover kind of thing). That's why they keep getting recycled to no end.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2020 at 5:18 AM, DiP said:

Kung fu movies, much like western and samurai movies, have gone out in fashion and no longer has anything new to tell. These sub-genres are limited in themes and concepts, and because of the particular time period the movies are set in you can't just go your way of showing whatever you like (unless you're breaking out of that tradition doing a crossover kind of thing). That's why they keep getting recycled to no end.

They, kung-fu films, were doing pretty well up until, what, the early 2000`s or late 90`s. So, that was a good 20 years at least. But, at times someone will come along and break the mold or at least shake things up a bit. However, now days, HK seems to be content with regurgitating the same old same old. There needs to be a breath of fresh air. The first Ip Man movie was a breath of fresh air at that time. Yeah, it's hard to come up with new fight choreography or find ways of looking at it from a new angle. Hollywood still seems to be stuck in Matrix mode and that came out in 99. Overall, I am still thinking about the diversity in the genre of kung-fu films that use to exist. Though, a lot of the plots were the same there was still some variance and uniqueness to the fight scenes. But, your Chans and Hungs are much older now so not even they are providing us the intent what they once did. Which makes sense as they are no longer in their 20`s or 30`s. But, there just doesn't seem to be a new generation with new ideas that injects energy into the medium. The real legends are no longer with us, like Lau Kat-leung and Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao are much older now. And, one of my favorite modern day directors, Xu Haofeng, seems to have disappeared off the silver screen. And, has anyone even seen his last film, The Hidden Sword, which was from 2017? I read there was some controversy surrounding it in HK and it was pulled from theaters or some such. Too bad Wellgo can't get a release for that one. That's been 3 years with nothing mentioned regarding him since. Too bad, as the kung-fu genre really needs a jolt to wake it up! Enough with the excessive nationalism and xenophobia that has been present in all the modern day kung-fu films that I have seen. 

• Like 2

The reason there's nothing new in today's kung fu choreography is because the paradigm of movements and pacing have pretty much been creamed out and haven't gone beyond the restrictions of traditional kung fu styles. Also, camerawork and editing for the most part tend to be repetitive.

As for as martial arts in contemporary HK action movies... There's more hope achieving breakthroughs. Modern fighting, in comparison to traditional kung fu, are pretty much limitless so you can pretty much do anything that comes to mind. Donnie Yen is still around (despite pushing his 60s) so he's the one doing new and fresh for moderns in Hong Kong.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Meh. It's not bad. There's plenty of fairly solid action, that's for sure. However, it's not good in that there isn't much focus on Wing Chun (though it's used). Unfortunately, the crutch of the fight scenes are tons of power hits resulting in numerous wire assisted "high impact" falls.

The plot is nothing to speak of. Japanese bad! Grrr! Ip Man becomes a sort of masked vigilante a la Donnie Yen's similar film (can't remember the convoluted name off the top of my head) or Jet Li's Black Mask. And that aspect doesn't last long. It's really more of a throwaway plot device. (The one neat thing to me was he sort of resembled the character of my "NightDragon" book series.) 

It was just lacking in so many ways and areas compared to Danny To's previous portrayal, and I really dig that film.

This movie definitely needed Yuen Biao and some ninjas in it.

• Like 3

I think the Donnie Yen movie was Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen.👍😁

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I think the Donnie Yen movie was Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen.👍😁

Maaaaaaan, I cain't be bothered to remember all o' dat.

• Like 3