ESPN 30 for 30 - 'Be Water' (2020)

DragonClaws

From a technical point of view I thought it was well-made. Also I thought the voice-over was somehow refreshing. Probably also the first time I wasn't totally annoyed with Shannon Lee. 

What truly bothered me though is that it's sold as a Bruce Lee documentary but when you break it down there's barely anything about Bruce in it. Most of it if not all of the footage we've seen a thousand times before. And I thought while important it spent way too much time on the past and unfortunate present of america's and hollywood's bias against asian-americans or african-americans.

By now there's not a single doubt in my mind that the man is a legend and especially during the 60s and 70s must have played an important role in many adolescent lives seeking their own identity. However, it is ironic that after decades of his passing I feel I still barely know anything about him.

As aformentioned this may have to do with a certain degree of censorship from the estate. Or the mythical nature that Bruce Lee has taken on, where no one can dare to touch his persona, let alone speak critically about him.

I'm not trying to put dirt on the man or his legacy but it feels like every time there's a new documentary it's the same old same old just with a different packaging. And every subject matter is just touched on the surface without any depth whatsoever. This "new" documentary being a perfect example of the latter.

• Like 4