ESPN 30 for 30 - 'Be Water' (2020)

DragonClaws

12 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

It sounds like another whitewash if it's supported by the estate. I don't we'll ever get The REAL Real Bruce Lee documentary. I've been a fan since Jan 1974 when I saw Fist of Fury (which tells you how old I am) and I've seen/read probably 99% of everything about him and it's only in recent years that we've been getting some idea of what he was really like. I just wish the estate would stop trying to make out that he was a Saint.

I highly recommend Bruce Lee: A Life by Matthew Polly. Probably the perfect time to take a stroll outside and listen to this on audio. There's a lot of stuff and it would never make into a documentary, unless it was a mini-series. 

Polly paints him as he was: a VERY flawed guy with one hell of a passion. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Did they just dropped the trailer during the Last Dance documentary last night?

How did it look? Do we learn anything new about the guy besides being the 'father' of Mixed Martial Arts? 

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
19 minutes ago, mpm74 said:

How did it look? Do we learn anything new about the guy besides being the 'father' of Mixed Martial Arts? 

LOL, nah I missed it last night. heard they did a teaser trailer and I've been looking everywhere online for it. I think it sorta the same stuff we heard before just polished differently through ESPN lens.  I still think the Biography one in the 90s on Bruce was the best one. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

LOL, nah I missed it last night. heard they did a teaser trailer and I've been looking everywhere online for it. I think it sorta the same stuff we heard before just polished differently through ESPN lens.  I still think the Biography one in the 90s on Bruce was the best one. 

I'm looking forward to seeing it, kinda. Maybe they got a hold of the #1 authoritative Bruce Lee figure, George Tan!  Crossing my fingers. 

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 5/12/2020 at 4:04 AM, mpm74 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing it, kinda. Maybe they got a hold of the #1 authoritative Bruce Lee figure, George Tan!  Crossing my fingers. 

Rumours persist online, that you have Mr Tan held hostage along with The Big Boss 2, and a rare longer Asian print of The Big Boss. Held in cool storage at the deep vaults of CityonFire.Com.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Rumours persist online, that you have Mr Tan held hostage along with The Big Boss 2, and a rare longer Asian print of The Big Boss. Held in cool storage at the deep vaults of CityonFire.Com.

How can you forget the lost footage of the "basement" level of Game of Death with Bolo painted in green? 

Edited by mpm74
  • Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm only 20 mins in and I'm already foaming at the mouth. They couldn't find one person to narrate this doc? Shannon lee is in this way too much. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It was watchable. ESPN documentaries have a tendency of coasting with a bunch of stock footage that almost tricks the audience into thinking "Hmmm... there's a relation there!". Correct me if I'm wrong, but that Green Hornet press footage was new stuff?  

Edited by mpm74
  • Like 3

Something about it just turned me off, I've seen alot better docs before without all the estate propaganda and politics.

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 3

Mike Leeder

Briefly worked on it, and their original intention sounded like a really cool take on things, this is sadly just the Bruce Lee Estate approved take on things....why print the truth, run with the legend... very disappointing, a few nice moments but.......

Strangely no mention of the importance in Bruce Lee's films and life of that guy who honestly really worked so closely with Bruce Lee and nobody knew about it for 40 years guy who appeared a few months back?  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Phantom Dreamer
4 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

Strangely no mention of the importance in Bruce Lee's films and life of that guy who honestly really worked so closely with Bruce Lee and nobody knew about it for 40 years guy who appeared a few months back?  

Who are you referring to?

A well made documentary,but nothing new for the fans.You have the Bruce Lee Estate involved,Robert Lee involved,these are supposedly people that have unseen footage(or at least rare)yet we get nothing new.ESPN 30 for 30 are normally great viewings so I think this was a missed opportunity.Worth seeing but if you are a fan like most here we’ve seen and heard it all before.👍👎👍👍

• Like 3

Mike Leeder

That's the guy!   Joey Chen!

But yeah amazed the documentary didn't go full Dragon the Bruce Lee Story and claim Bruce's back injury was caused by Johnny Suynn or The Legend of Bruce Lee and claim the evil Chuck Norris tried to stop him from teaching martial arts etc

• Like 2

shaolin swords

is it just me i found it really weird that when the peoples where talking they did not show the person talking just heard the voice and not the actual person talking in the doc it was just a whole bunch of footage put together but you did not see any one talk that just threw me off i watched a hour of it from what i saw it was ok but am not the biggest bruce lee fan sorry i just found that weird that they did not show no body at all in person and it was all footage just my opinion 

• Like 5