ESPN 30 for 30 - 'Be Water' (2020)

DragonClaws

maxresdefault.jpg

Sundance Film Festival has announced its lineup of movies for their 2020 festival, one of which includes a Brand New Documentary about Bruce Lee titled Be Water.

At first glance I thought the post over at CityOnFire.Com was about the recent Chow Yu-Fat movie of the same name. The over commericialized quote wasnt the work of Bruce Lee, but writer Stirling Silliphant, which the Bruce Lee Estate has conveintly forgotten about.Thanks to the top team over at CityonFire.Com for posting this news. Please click on the link below for the full story from them.

Source- https://cityonfire.com/sundance-film-festival-accounts-new-bruce-lee-documentary-be-water/

Be Water, My Friend is an upcoming Hong Kong domestic drama film directed by Anthony Pun and starring Chow Yun-fat as a pathological gambler who searches a way to communicate and connect with his autistic son. The film's English title is based on Bruce Lee's famous quote on martial arts philosophy.[2] Production for the film began in January 2019 and wrapped up in late March of the same year.[3]

Source- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_Water,_My_Friend

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Be Water / U.S.A., United Kingdom (Director: Bao Nguyen, Producer: Julia Nottingham) — In 1971, after being rejected by Hollywood, Bruce Lee returned to his parents’ homeland of Hong Kong to complete four iconic films. Charting his struggles between two worlds, this portrait explores questions of identity and representation through the use of rare archival, interviews with loved ones and Bruce’s own writings. World Premiere

Source- https://www.sundance.org/blogs/news/2020-sundance-features-announced

• Like 2

I still think we are yet to see the best Bruce Lee documentary,this maybe worth watching but if they tell Bruce’s story using the same footage that we’ve all seen before then I don’t see the point,but I will still check it out when it becomes available.

• Like 4

On 12/10/2019 at 10:37 PM, sym8 said:

I still think we are yet to see the best Bruce Lee documentary,this maybe worth watching but if they tell Bruce’s story using the same footage that we’ve all seen before then I don’t see the point,but I will still check it out when it becomes available.

Hi @sym8.

I'm not holding my breath for anything new, but they should have one hell of a budget if the ltest law-suit goes through?. Lets say if someone revealed the most rare/in demand Bruce Lee footage, pictures or writing out there. It would never come close to making this kind of money. It's no mystery why so much rare Bruce Lee mateiral is just circulating between rich collector's. That said, if it wasnt for some of these collectors. There just wouldnt be much out there now, full stop.

$41 Million Lawsuit.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @sym8.

I'm not holding my breath for anything new, but they should have one hell of a budget if the ltest law-suit goes through?. Lets say if someone revealed the most rare/in demand Bruce Lee footage, pictures or writing out there. It would never come close to making this kind of money. It's no mystery why so much rare Bruce Lee mateiral is just circulating between rich collector's. That said, if it wasnt for some of these collectors. There just wouldnt be much out there now, full stop.

$41 Million Lawsuit.

I wonder if the Bruce Lee estate has any footage we/us fans haven’t already seen?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sym8 said:

I wonder if the Bruce Lee estate has any footage we/us fans haven’t already seen?

Please read the folowing quote.

Jesse Glover when he was alive also told me and a group of other people that Linda is sitting on a tonne of footage of Bruce training and teaching and that she has absolutely no interest in sharing or selling it. - @fabhui

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Yet they do seem interested in selling a desk top Bruce Lee bobble head for $20.Maybe one day they will use the footage they have in the best Bruce Lee documentary that has yet to be made.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 1/2/2020 at 5:47 PM, DragonClaws said:

I wonder if it's not very flattering footage. Could be all Bruce having temper tantrums at his students.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Here's a bit more news for you @sym8.

I think this is gonna be a photo based documentary rather than new footage.Hope they don’t start using doubles to tell some of the story’s in his book,affairs,tantrums etc imagine that

Edited by sym8
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, sym8 said:

I think this is gonna be a photo based documentary rather than new footage.Hope they don’t start using doubles to tell some of the story’s in his book,affairs,tantrums etc imagine that

George Tan used the doubles idea in Death by Misadventure, only he used to clips from the Bruceploitation bio's. The mans not hear to tell his story so you have to find other ways of doing it.I cant see the Estate letting anything really negative get put out?. Hard to say, we will just have to wait and see. I have faith in Mattew Polly, and if his book is the blue-print for the film?. Then it's got to be a bit different to what we have viewed many times before. Between footage beng held back, and a public image to maintain. It's no easy task making a film about Bruce Lee.

7 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I wonder if it's not very flattering footage. Could be all Bruce having temper tantrums at his students.

Good point, there must be many different reasons for footage being held back, and not just becuase of some long term business plan.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 12/10/2019 at 4:37 PM, sym8 said:

The best ones imo is the A&E biography and legends. 

• Like 5

Sundance: How Bruce Lee Documentary ‘Be Water’ Subverts His Portrayal in ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ (Article & Video)

Source- https://www.indiewire.com/video/bruce-lee-documentary-be-water-interview-video-1202205688/

Sundance '20: Be Water (Review)

Source- https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2020/01/sundance-20-be-water.html

9a3610a348360b720f8a2958243715fc.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Sundance: How Bruce Lee Documentary ‘Be Water’ Subverts His Portrayal in ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ (Article & Video)

Source- https://www.indiewire.com/video/bruce-lee-documentary-be-water-interview-video-1202205688/

Sundance '20: Be Water (Review)

Source- https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2020/01/sundance-20-be-water.html

9a3610a348360b720f8a2958243715fc.jpg

Thanks for the link to the review,but I can’t make out wether the guy liked it or wether it was a good well made documentary or not.For me that was a hard read.Will have to watch and judge for myself 

• Like 4

On 1/26/2020 at 5:58 PM, sym8 said:

Thanks for the link to the review,but I can’t make out wether the guy liked it or wether it was a good well made documentary or not.For me that was a hard read.Will have to watch and judge for myself 

havent had the time to sit and read the review, but it's always good to make your own mind up. Here's another point of view from DEADLINE.

He showed Shannon Lee a cut of the film and asked her if there is anything she wanted him to cut to which she answered, “Bao, this is your film, this is not my film.”

‘Be Water’ Director Bao Nguyen Puts An Honest Lens On Bruce Lee’s Trailblazing Impact And Struggles As An Asian American Icon – Sundance

Source- https://deadline.com/2020/01/be-water-bao-nguyen-interview-bruce-lee-asian-american-diversity-inclusion-representation-1202839252/

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Shannon sure didn't tell Tarrentino that about his film did she, but he wasn't thoughtful enough to ask her first like Bao did....

• Like 2

Sundance Review: BE WATER Captures A Multi-Faceted Bruce Lee: Sure, he was a legend, but he was also a human being.

It’s been a huge year for Bruce Lee.

Between his controversial portrayal in Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood, his ass-kicking portrayal in the action-packed Ip Man 4: The Finale, to this documentary, and even to the announced release of four of his films to The Criterion Collection… Bruce Lee just seems to be having a cultural moment. I won’t speculate as to exactly why that moment is occurring now, but I’d argue that there’s never been a time in my life when Bruce Lee wasn’t relevant-- never a time when he wasn’t hallowed and whispered about as an absolute legend. If Bruce Lee is on screen, then whatever is happening is electric.

Source- https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/01/27/sundance-review-be-water-captures-a-multi-faceted-bruce-lee

• Like 3

'Be Water': Film Review

Reviewed at Sundance Film Festival, Jan. 30, 2020. Running time: 104 MIN.

Production: (Documentary — U.S. — U.K.) An ESPN production in association with Dorothy St Pictures, East Films, Bruce Lee Family Archive. Producers: Julia Nottingham, Bao Nguyen. Executive directors: John Dahl, Libby Geist, Rob King, Connor Schell.

Crew: Director: Bao Nguyen. Camera: Caleb Heller. Editor: Graham Taylor. Music: Ton That An, Goh Nakamura.

With: Linda Lee Cadwell, Robert Lee, Andre Morgan, Leroy Garcia, Paul Heller, Diana Inosanto, Nancy Kwan, Sylvia Lai, Tony Liu, Angela Mao, Doug Palmer, Barney Scollan, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dan Inosanto, Shannon Lee. (English, Chinese dialogue.)

Source- https://variety.com/2020/film/reviews/be-water-review-1203489550/

ESPN Documentaries - (2020) - Preview Advert.

Link- https://www.clippituser.tv/c/vyxkbl

• Like 3

2 hours ago, laagi said:

Any word when or where this will available for rent or purchase?

At one point, Netflix had all of these, but it'll obviously for surely be on ESPN network. Been waiting for this one, too. Hopefully it has something new to offer. 

• Like 4

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, laagi said:

Any word when or where this will available for rent or purchase?

October or Novmber time?, but don't quote me on this one. It will porbably be out around the same time Ciritierion release their box-set.

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

It sounds like another whitewash if it's supported by the estate. I don't we'll ever get The REAL Real Bruce Lee documentary. I've been a fan since Jan 1974 when I saw Fist of Fury (which tells you how old I am) and I've seen/read probably 99% of everything about him and it's only in recent years that we've been getting some idea of what he was really like. I just wish the estate would stop trying to make out that he was a Saint.

• Like 3