Aces Go Places 5: The Terracotta Hit (1989) - opinions please

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

First of all, I've never seen any of the Aces Go Places films so I really don't know what to expect from them. After finding out #5 was directed by Liu Chia Liang and also stars Conan Lee who I loved in NITDD and Tiger on Beat, I'm really interested in seeing it because I heard this film leans more towards martial arts than the others in the series. Are the fight scenes plentiful and action good in this film and does Conan get to show his skills off alot? Any info on this film would be greatly appreciated.

Guest WalkOn

Funny film, but not a great one, IMO. Conan doesn't get to show off his skills, but there is a 2 minute Billy Chong cameo, and that alone made it worth viewing for me! ;)

Guest Chinatown Kid

Never knew Billy was in this film, thanks for the info WalkOn. I sure hope his 2 minute cameo features him showing off his fighting skills! Shame to hear Conan doesn't get to fight though. This film might have been made shortly after he injured himself in the fall during filming of Tiger On Beat 2 and the reason why he doesn't fight in the film.

Guest WalkOn

He and director Liu Chia Liang didn't get along so his role as a henchman (yes, Billy was a bad guy) was cut very short. Honestly, I can't even recommend the film based on the Billy cameo alone unless you're a Billy Chong hardcore fan, or a fan of the series get it. But, it didn't do much for me... Listen to additional comments from others or watch it yourself, but I seriously doubt I missed the mark by much!

Guest jmungus

the series (1-5) is definitely recommended to all suckers of 80s hk action cinema.

these movies simply work! all of them!! doesnt mean they re something else, but its an interesting franchise for ppl that got the likes of wheels on meals, yes madam, rosa, naughty boys, armour of gods, legend of wisely etc in their cherished collections.

i`d rate the entire series 6.7/10. i guess everyone has their personal faves among the 5. the original feels a tad too dated for my likes nowadays, TERRACOTTA HIT misses some of the 'good' wackyness and originality its predecessors have, its also not as daring in a way.

comes off a bit more generic, then again its very apparent this was the latest of the pack; the only AGP movie that doesnt scream EIGHTEEEES right in your face.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks jmungus! I was wondering though, since Lau directed #5 does it feature alot of Kung Fu action? This will be the deciding factor on weather I buy it or not.

Guest jmungus

frankly, i couldnt tell anymore. been a few years.

i HAVE A FEELING there was 1 really good kf fight and an additional "usual amount" of kf fighting thrown in for good measure.

u know how it is with these type of movies that wanna serve equal amounts of comedic elements, high octane shooting and explosions action, put on a 'big' stunt show and most definitely feature some over the top chase sequences.....

then theres the script packed with solo moments for each of the main stars to showcase their cool n do their thing, some romantic ballyhoo and last but not least all the elements to develop the prime plot.

long story short- theres never enough screen time left for "a lot of kf action".

so dont sue me cuz my memory is seriously blurred, but i think 1 good one and then some (alright stuff to spice things up furthermore).

if youre generally cool with this sorta flick and its not a fortune u`d have to pay for it, i`d recommend for u to grab it. i think its good for what it is.

Guest theportlykicker

If you want to watch an Aces Go Places film with HOT action then check out Lucky Stars Go Places. Okay, it's not a proper Aces Go Places film, but the fights bloody rock in it.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks guys, I think I'll pick the film up on vcd since it's so cheap and hopefully I'll get some enjoyment out of it. I 'll also look for the Lucky Stars Go Places film since you say the action is so good portly. :)

Guest D1 Ma

I remember watching AGP (actually, it was Mad Mission :) ) back in the 80's and I thought it was one of the best movies ever action-wise. Now, almost 20 years later, I still think it's the best in the series

Part two had its moments ,(Some really great stunts, including one of my favourites - Sam Hui's character jumping off the bridge on a bike, landing onto a moving double-decker, jumping off the roof and finally landing on the road - all in one contineous shot!)

part 3 SUCKED big time, part 4 was a decent movie, almost as good as the first two, with some insane stuff going on.

Part 5 wasn't bad, but there was nothing really special about it.

Overall, quite entertaining and worth watching

Guest Chinatown Kid

Cool Mr. Ma, I've ordered the vcd and am looking forward to seeing it. If I happen to like it alot I'm going to upgrade to the Dutch remastered DVD under the title Mad Mission 5 at the D&T Mailorder site.

Guest Markgway

The interesting thing for me about the Aces Go Places series is that the best two entries (1, 2) were directed by Eric Tsang (best known as an actor). Whereas the less good entires were directed by such nobodies as Liu Chia Liang, Ringo Lam and Tsui Hark. :hat

Guest Chinatown Kid

Lol, that is very ironic. The main reason I was interested in #5 was because Liu did the directing and you can usually count on him for some good kung fu choreography. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see for myself if it satisfies. :\

Guest Dion Brother

I have such a fondness for this series...ACES 2 is one of my all time favorite movies. It really...well...moves. Part V is fun, but weaker than the others. Still, it outgrossed THE KILLER in Hong Kong!

I have been hesitant to watch this ever since the Stunt People review said that action wasn't all that great.

Excellent review, OAB.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
2 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I have been hesitant to watch this ever since the Stunt People review said that action wasn't all that great.

Excellent review, OAB.

Cheers Doc, actually reviewed it for this months mutual review thread, but as those reviews tend to become almost impossible to back reference, I always like to link anything that's posted there to dedicated threads for the movies in question.

• Like 3

Cognoscente
On 6/17/2007 at 11:23 PM, Guest Markgway said:

The interesting thing for me about the Aces Go Places series is that the best two entries (1, 2) were directed by Eric Tsang (best known as an actor). Whereas the less good entries were directed by such nobodies as Liu Chia Liang, Ringo Lam and Tsui Hark. :hat

I honestly think that Eric should have been the director of the films which those three men had directed Jackie Chan in.

• Like 2