Bruce Lee Comics

DT-Nice1988

I red the last couple of days some Bruce Lee Comic series and now want to share my thoughts on them. 

I red two Bruce Lee Comic series and one comic of a never finished series. 

The first series I red was released by Malibu 1994, which also released some "Mortal Kombat" Comics. First I noticed, that Bruce Lee has long hair. Maybe this was choosen to seperate the character from the real deal. The Story (there are 3 Main Storys merged into one) remembered me of the Bruceploitation flicks, because there is a Bruce Lee guy in a mixed up story between little real facts and some fictional rivalries. 

The Story is about Bruce Lee, who first demonstrate his One-Inch-Punch at a Martial Arts Tournament at Long Beach and then get noticed by a Karate school leader, who doesn't like him (Because Bruce gets more attention) Bruce opens his Jeet Kune Do school across from the school of the Karate teacher. He wants Bruce to leave, so he starts a rivalry, In that he even kills a student of him and tries to put the blame on Lee, but he failed. The rivalry ended in another Tournament in which Bruce Lee beat the teacher and becomes the champ. The teacher felt in a coma after the battle. Now Bruce got noticed by a film producer and first started to work as a stunt cordinator. Then he acted as the villian in the next film and finally gets the main role in the follow up. But that film is only produced in mexico to hide a drug smuggling. Bruce recogniced that and tried to catch the crooked direktor and "General" (A strong big gang leader, who kills bulls with his bare hand -  a nice Bruce Le - Bull scene homage from "Challenge Of The Tiger is shown in that story) The last comic of this series has an open end. Bruce beats the general but couldn't catch the crooked director, who leaves him a letter. 

Maybe there was a plan for a follow up series, but never saw the light of day.

The other Bruce Lee Comic series I red was "Bruce Lee - The Dragon Rises" from Magnetic Press Series . The Comic Label worked for that one with Lee's daughter Shannon Lee together. The story is about Lee, who was frozen over 40 years in a hidden futuristic scientist building. Because Bruce Lee was never dead. After an accident he escapes and walk through the near by city, without any memory about himself. Only when it comes to a fight, he uses his Jeed Kune Do techniques by a reflex. Nobody in the city noticed that he looks like Bruce...Only a aged Afro wearing black guy, named Joe Toomey, regonized him and reveals that he and Bruce were very good friends, before Bruce leaves. He tried to hide Lee, because some thugs are after him. Bruce and Joe have to survive several attacks by them. Bruce also tried to help two kids, who missed their father. As the story goes on the big unknown woman, who leading the thugs, is revealed as a demon lady with some sorcery abbillities. Bruce wants to find out what's behind all the things that happened to him, so he and Joe enters the hidden building, in which Bruce was frozen. But Bruce is catched again, escapes again, helps another ex-frozen celebrity to escape and all leads to the big end battle. The problem is that happen in No. 5, and that magazine was never released... 

It's sad they never finished this series, but I think it would be a great story for a modern day bruceploitation film. Think about that 😁

Magnetic Press planed to released a follow up series with the title "Bruce Lee - The Walk Of The Dragon", but they only released one comic. The comic retells the story of the first series at the first page. It reveals that Bruce has beaten the demon lady. The comic itself is about Bruce, who tried to get his memories back. After he fought some thiefs on the streets, he finds himself on a martial arts convention. On that he get confused with a bruce immitator and is forced to re-create the collosseum battle with a Norris clone. 

What are your thoughts on them? 

Edited by DT-Nice1988
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, DT-Nice1988 said:

I red the last couple of days some Bruce Lee Comic series and now want to share my thoughts on them. 

I red two Bruce Lee Comic series and one comic of a never finished series. 

Great post @DT-Nice1988, I'd love to add more but Bruce Lee graphic novels/comics ae something I know nothing about. Apart from there a lot of fans out there who do collect them.

What were the earliest BL comics?, would Marvel's Shang Chi charcter be considered the first?.

• Like 1

I found this site. There is listed nearly every comic Bruce Lee appeares in. 

After a research I found out which was the first comic book with Bruce. 

"Issue #28 of the Magazine Management black-and-white comics magazine The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (Sept. 1976) was an all-Bruce Lee special, including a 35-page comic-format biography written by Martin Sands, and drawn by Joe Staton and Tony DeZuniga" (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee_(comics)) 

And this was the first Bruce Lee Comic (Strip) series:

The Los Angeles Times Syndicate launched The Legend of Bruce Lee comic strip, featuring fictional stories about the deceased actor and martial artist, in May 1982.

These rare comic strips, when you found them, have very expensive prices. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DT-Nice1988 said:

I found this site. There is listed nearly every comic Bruce Lee appeares in.  

After a research I found out which was the first comic book with Bruce. 

Thanks for the reply @DT-Nice1988, those links have answered my query and then some.

blcomic12.jpg

blcomic14.jpg

blcomic15.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

The creator's of this comic series, appear to have given Bruce Lee's character a Kung Fu fighting teenage sidekick. As he fights giant butterfly's or horent's?.Were the writers experimenting with LSD when they wrote this edition?.

blcomic20.jpg

blcomic21.jpg

blcomic22.jpg

blcomic23.jpg

blcomic24.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:35 PM, DT-Nice1988 said:

Do have any knowledge on some of the Japanese comics?, the following one is currently going for a high price on Ebay.

1970's Japanese Bruce Lee Comic Book w/Poster in Middle - 7.5" x 11" Rare, NM

Source- https://picclick.co.uk/1970s-Japanese-Bruce-Lee-Comic-Book-w-Poster-in-273989983763.html

1970s-Japanese-Bruce-Lee-Comic-Book-w-Po

Another vintage Japanese comic from the 1970's.

bruce-lee-japan-manga-comic-1974_1_7e27c

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

DragonClaws

In this vintage comic mash-up, Bruce Lee goes fishing, and fights off ninjas and robots. Someone should have turned this into a Bruceploitation movie.

blcomic7.jpg

blcomic9.jpg

blcomic10.jpg

blcomic11.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

DragonClaws

Looking at the cover of the new Eastern Heroes magazine, there's a new Bruce Lee themed comic being planned. The first issue of their new magazine has already sold out.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

DragonClaws

‘The Legend of Bruce Lee’: The little-known syndicated comic strip

Link- https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_legend_of_bruce_lee_the_little-known_syndicated_comic_strip

According to Allan Holtz, author of American Newspaper Comics: An Encyclopedic Reference Guide, “Caniff grew disgusted with what he considered nitpicky suggestions from the syndicate and dropped the project.”

However, five years later, in 1982, the Los Angeles Times Syndicate did run a Bruce Lee strip for approximately a year in “a vanishingly small number of newspapers,” as Holtz puts it. So don’t be too surprised if you missed it in your halcyon youth, it didn’t last very long and it wasn’t in too many papers.

https://dangerousminds.net/content/uploads/images/_framed/Legend_Of_Bruce_Lee_764-original-764-396.jpg

• Like 3

I lucked up yesterday and found this in a collectibles store for a dollar! Haven’t read it yet, but I did flip through the pages and it looks pretty interesting. There is one page near the beginning  that has some dude punching a bull out with his fist. I’m pretty sure I saw a Bruceplotation movie that had a similar scene like that, but I cannot remember which one it was. 

1BD96EB1-2A6C-43E1-A099-F0C4BABD2FD2.jpeg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I’m pretty sure I saw a Bruceplotation movie that had a similar scene like that,

Bruce Super Hero(1978) has one such scene, but I think there are others with similar scenes two. That was has the trio of Bruce Le, Bolo Yeung & Chiang Tao.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Bruce Super Hero(1978) has one such scene, but I think there are others with similar scenes two. That was has the trio of Bruce Le, Bolo Yeung & Chiang Tao.

yup, I remember that scene with Bolo delivering a karate chop to the bull (special effect showing bull's skin sliced up like if hit with a machete) and the bull immediately collapses and goes into death throes like an actor hamming it up lol. That bull used for that scene looked pretty tame too and not vicious at all which made me a bit sad that it had to die in the name of Bolo's awesome death punch.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

yup, I remember that scene with Bolo delivering a karate chop to the bull (special effect showing bull's skin sliced up like if hit with a machete) and the bull immediately collapses and goes into death throes like an actor hamming it up lol. That bull used for that scene looked pretty tame too and not vicious at all which made me a bit sad that it had to die in the name of Bolo's awesome death punch.

I seem to recall it being Bruce Le who fights/kills the bull?, but I could be wrong. It's a very random movie and I've not viewed it that many times.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:52 PM, DarthKato said:

I lucked up yesterday and found this in a collectibles store for a dollar!

I'm no expert, but I think that comics from a series released in the 90's?. Around the time Dragon The Bruce Lee Story was released. Cool find @DarthKato.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I seem to recall it being Bruce Le who fights/kills the bull?, but I could be wrong. It's a very random movie and I've not viewed it that many times.

I'm pretty sure it's Bolo because it's etched in my brain but I could be wrong and will gladly eat crow if it was Bruce Le. Regardless who it was, I did feel bad for that bull. It looked sickly and gaunt and no real threat to be a danger to anyone. But it made the ultimate cinematic sacrifice for us kung fu fans lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I'm no expert, but I think that comics from a series released in the 90's?. Around the time Dragon The Bruce Lee Story was released. Cool find @DarthKato.

I just went and checked the date it was released, and it was indeed in the 90s(November 1994 to be exact). Thanks @DragonClaws, ever since I saw ya'll talking about them(Didn't even know they were a thing), I've been trying to find some.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, DragonClaws said:

Ok, I remember the movie where Bruce Le kills the bull. It was Challenge of the Tiger. It's timestamped below:

• Like 2