Hydra (2019) - Kensuke Sonomura's Directorial Debut

AlbertV

An assassin for a secret organization keeping Japan safe from underworld threats finds himself targeted by evil forces aiming to unleash an unstoppable criminal syndicate upon Japan.

Starring Masanori MimotoMiu, Tasuku Nagase, Takaya Aoyagi, Tomorowo Taguchi, Satoshi Kibe with fight choreography by Sonomura, Mimoto, Naohiro Kawamoto, and Koji Kawamoto.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer

This was pretty damn good.  Approach it as a low-key drama, then expect to be blown away by 2 of the most blistering fight scenes committed to film in recent years!  I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/hydra-2019-review-kensuke-sonomura-masanori-mimoto/

A big thanks to @Takuma for assisting with some actor ID’s!

• Like 6

I read some positive reviews of this film, so my expectations were amped up going in but this was not a good film; let alone for being billed as a kinetic intense hand to hand action flick. The very short runtime belies the agonizing slow pacing. The buildup to the finale left me bored and not caring about any of the characters (there is very little suspense and almost zero character development) but my main issue was the fight scenes were few and far between and nothing special.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I read some positive reviews of this film, so my expectations were amped up going in but this was not a good film; let alone for being billed as a kinetic intense hand to hand action flick. The very short runtime belies the agonizing slow pacing. The buildup to the finale left me bored and not caring about any of the characters (there is very little suspense and almost zero character development) but my main issue was the fight scenes were few and far between and nothing special.

Anyone approaching this as an action flick is going to be severely disappointed, as it's not. As I mentioned in my comment earlier in the thread and review, it should be approached as a low-key drama. The marketing from WellGo USA definitely isn't helping, but they're doing what they need to do make sales, I get that. It reminds me of when Dragon Dynasty released 'PTU' back in the 00's and they marketed it as an explosive action movie (complete with the DVD cover containing exploding helicopters and buildings!).

• Like 5

That was certainly...different. And I think in a good way. Not what I expected.

With its synthy sound throughout and the flashy intro that seems to pay homage to 80's action.

A showcase of independent action (martial arts) filmmaking. Pretty unique stuff and I can clearly see that it won't be everybody's cup of tea. But the speed and precision during the fights... Holy cow!

There is a bit of a story which comes to a really inconclusive ending. Or maybe just a setup for part two? Although I highly doubt it.

Also I think it's pretty obvious this was shot on a budget. But again what it does especially in the few fight scenes makes it all the more worthwhile.

Watch it as a testimony that it doesn't take much (budget) for action to feel fresh and unique if you got the right crew and lifeblood for the job. Well done!

Edited by laagi
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Trailer for the director's second feature called "Bad City". Certainly has a good vibe and luck has it will be shown here at a local festival. I might end up checking it out if time permits ;) @One Armed Boxer

• Like 4

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 8/18/2020 at 3:51 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

This was pretty damn good.  Approach it as a low-key drama, then expect to be blown away by 2 of the most blistering fight scenes committed to film in recent years!  I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/hydra-2019-review-kensuke-sonomura-masanori-mimoto/

A big thanks to @Takuma for assisting with some actor ID’s!

@One Armed Boxer I'm thankful for your review because I went in with the proper expectations. Your description above is perfect, and would've served viewers better than Well Go's Action-centric misinformation, though likely would've sold less copies. I bought it and I'm very glad I did. Yes, it's a small film on a budget, but it doesn't feel cheap or rushed. Though there's not a ton of character development I was still always completely interested in what was going on with them. Masanori Mimoto as lead Takashi gives some of the hardest looks I've ever seen; and I laughed out loud in an "Oh shit! kinda way when he did it! Every time he looked at someone like that- it was like the human equivalent of a cobra rearing up and spreading its hood- and they didn't immediately shut up and run I figured they deserved everything coming to them. The fights were fast and vicious. :bigsmile:

I loaned it to my son and he really dug it too.

On 8/10/2021 at 3:03 PM, laagi said:

That was certainly...different. And I think in a good way. Not what I expected.

With its synthy sound throughout and the flashy intro that seems to pay homage to 80's action.

A showcase of independent action (martial arts) filmmaking. Pretty unique stuff and I can clearly see that it won't be everybody's cup of tea. But the speed and precision during the fights... Holy cow!

There is a bit of a story which comes to a really inconclusive ending. Or maybe just a setup for part two? Although I highly doubt it.

Also I think it's pretty obvious this was shot on a budget. But again what it does especially in the few fight scenes makes it all the more worthwhile.

Watch it as a testimony that it doesn't take much (budget) for action to feel fresh and unique if you got the right crew and lifeblood for the job. Well done!

Well said @laagi. I'd certainly be happy if it spawned a sequel.

2 hours ago, laagi said:

Trailer for the director's second feature called "Bad City". Certainly has a good vibe and luck has it will be shown here at a local festival. I might end up checking it out if time permits ;) @One Armed Boxer

This looks very promising! I heard that the film's release will coincide with star Hitoshi Ozawa's 60th birthday (that would be yesterday as of this posting), and man does he look spry in that trailer. There's no stiff older actor movements like in THE IRISHMAN here, with Ozawa looking strong and fast.

If he looks familiar to you it's because he's been in nearly 100 movies, including Takashi Miike's DEAD OR ALIVE, WARU, GOZU, and AGITATOR, Ryuhei Kirtamura's ALIVE and LOVE/DEATH, and Takeshi "Beat" Kitano's BOILING POINT.

Anyway, bring it on! If Well Go (or any other company) decides to release this to home video I will pre-order it the second it's listed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

There's no stiff older actor movements like in THE IRISHMAN here, with Ozawa looking strong and fast.

If he looks familiar to you it's because he's been in nearly 100 movies, including Takashi Miike's DEAD OR ALIVE, WARU, GOZU, and AGITATOR, Ryuhei Kirtamura's ALIVE and LOVE/DEATH, and Takeshi "Beat" Kitano's BOILING POINT.

Anyway, bring it on! If Well Go (or any other company) decides to release this to home video I will pre-order it the second it's listed.

Right? I thought it was just me but I was like damn that old boy (no disrespect) can move! Seems like director Sonomura was able to get a legend for this one. I'm so game and atm it looks like I'll be able to catch this on the big screen together with The Roundup aka The Outlaws 2. I'm super psyched!

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yes! I'm sure he'll be doubled for some stuff, but the way he was moving in the trailer (when it was clearly him) was impressive.

Dude, I am very excited for you! Getting to see "Big Don" smashing people on the big screen is a special experience. I look forward to hearing what you think of both films. Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1