Double World (2019) New Teddy Chen Movie

whitesnake

https://cityonfire.com/kung-fu-jungle-helmer-teddy-chen-is-back-with-double-world/   Cityonfire.com recently posted the news about the latest martial arts movie Teddy Chen (Bodyguards and Assassins) has directed.  It is based on the MMORPG.  Cast includes Peter Ho (Sword Master), Henry Lau (Final Recipe), Jiang Luxia (Operation Red Sea) and Him Law (The Monkey King).  The Chinese theatrical release date is November 22, 2019. 

IMDB summary:  "In a fictional universe comprising ten nations. Seeing the neighboring country become more and more powerful, a warlord organizes a competition to reveal the best warriors.  Hearing the news, Dong Yilong, a valiant young villager decides to take up the challenge despite the doubts of his village.  So begins the journey."  From https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10508838/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt 

Cityonfire.com also gives us the new trailer -

• Like 3

megadurilicus

Just finished Double World the fantasy epic.  The special fx was well done and had lots of action.  Nothing new or great going on with the story... but still a really fun movie that looks terrific.  

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
22 hours ago, megadurilicus said:

Just finished Double World the fantasy epic.  The special fx was well done and had lots of action.  Nothing new or great going on with the story... but still a really fun movie that looks terrific.  

Agreed, I also got through watching this one over the weekend.  For those that didn't know, due to COVID-19 the decision was made to skip a theatrical release and Netflix secured global distribution rights, it's been on the platform since July 25th.  I gave it the full review treatment over at COF -

https://cityonfire.com/double-world-2020-review-netflix-teddy-chen-whats-streaming-martial-arts/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Agreed, I also got through watching this one over the weekend.  For those that didn't know, due to COVID-19 the decision was made to skip a theatrical release and Netflix secured global distribution rights, it's been on the platform since July 25th.  I gave it the full review treatment over at COF -

https://cityonfire.com/double-world-2020-review-netflix-teddy-chen-whats-streaming-martial-arts/

How did it get nominated for the Hong Kong film awards (for films released in 2019) if it didn't get a theatrical release? Does Teddy Chen have pictures of HKFA members in bed with a goat?

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

How did it get nominated for the Hong Kong film awards (for films released in 2019) if it didn't get a theatrical release? Does Teddy Chen have pictures of HKFA members in bed with a goat?

We live in strange times!  Most likely as the title of the trailer attached in the OP suggests, it was initally planned to have a December 2019 theatrical release.

I also think its important to point out that the below plot description isn't entirely accurate -

185725098_DoubleWorld.jpg.661c36f87f0e0a7a69753fbdf5deb462.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not putting up with badly made costume films, with embarrassing cgi and actors not living up to expectations, I still took courage for some positive reviews I had read. At the point where the boy discovers his identity I stopped the vision, already amply burdened by rhetorical scenes, video game monsters, do-gooders etc.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 6:31 PM, JackieRome said:

with embarrassing cgi

I actually think this is the best CGI I've seen in any Chinese movie so far, and Double World is beyond any of my expectations a very enjoyable experience. I'd be the first to hate it

if it were just another lousy CGI adventure...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

I actually think this is the best CGI I've seen in any Chinese movie so far, and Double World is beyond any of my expectations a very enjoyable experience. I'd be the first to hate it

if it were just another lousy CGI adventure...

but I can't stand the CGI regardless of the quality, which however I found plasticky as in all Asian productions. For me it remains a fairy tale that I didn't feel the need for, but I've read that some liked it.

• Like 3

Fair enough @JackieRome. I'm not a fan either, that's why this came as a surprise. If Double World is the first of many, it would be a reason to feel optimistic. Chinese are slowly gaining up on Hollywood in terms of quality and imagination, part of it of course lying in the fact Teddy Chen's movie is based on a popular MMORPG game. Only thing is, DW is an expensive blockbuster, but is not dumb nor shallow, something I can't say for many US productions. Big budget and quality could be the recipe for success, many of us then perhaps wouldn't be giving priority to watching 40 years old movies instead :laugh

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Fair enough @JackieRome. I'm not a fan either, that's why this came as a surprise. If Double World is the first of many, it would be a reason to feel optimistic. Chinese are slowly gaining up on Hollywood in terms of quality and imagination, part of it of course lying in the fact Teddy Chen's movie is based on a popular MMORPG game. Only thing is, DW is an expensive blockbuster, but is not dumb nor shallow, something I can't say for many US productions. Big budget and quality could be the recipe for success, many of us then perhaps wouldn't be giving priority to watching 40 years old movies instead :laugh

I'm a little afraid of this Chinese special effects drift. if they think they are competing with the Americans on this ground, go ahead, my money will hardly see both of them. I prefer another kind of cinema: I would see Zu Warriors 200 times than this crap. But if the public responds well, it is the public who commands. Amen.

• Like 3

Big-budget fantasies coming out of China in the past decade or so have been hit or miss. This one ended up being one of the better examples of the sub-genre. The CGI is actually really good and it gives us an kung fu fight against giant scorpions (take that, crappy Clash of the Titans remake). Teddy Chen doesn't quite use CGI sparingly, but he does unleash the effects with a more careful and surer hand than many his counterparts. The world this film inhabits doesn't exactly feel lived it, but it does feel bigger than, say, just two rival city-states. Stephen Tung Wei's action is pretty solid in the usual Tung Wei way: slick, entertaining, but unlikely to result in any all-time classics. If you liked the action in Seven Swords or Warriors of Heaven and Earth, you should enjoy the weapons fighting here. The young female protagonists gets to wield a claymore, but given the film's RPG origins, I don't think we need to complain about the unlikelihood of that.

• Like 4

On 2/19/2022 at 2:29 AM, DrNgor said:

Big-budget fantasies coming out of China in the past decade or so have been hit or miss. This one ended up being one of the better examples of the sub-genre. The CGI is actually really good and it gives us an kung fu fight against giant scorpions (take that, crappy Clash of the Titans remake). Teddy Chen doesn't quite use CGI sparingly, but he does unleash the effects with a more careful and surer hand than many his counterparts. The world this film inhabits doesn't exactly feel lived it, but it does feel bigger than, say, just two rival city-states. Stephen Tung Wei's action is pretty solid in the usual Tung Wei way: slick, entertaining, but unlikely to result in any all-time classics. If you liked the action in Seven Swords or Warriors of Heaven and Earth, you should enjoy the weapons fighting here. The young female protagonists gets to wield a claymore, but given the film's RPG origins, I don't think we need to complain about the unlikelihood of that.

I watched it again and my thoughts are about the same. Good looking, fun to watch, but ultimately forgettable. Full review here: https://abeautifulfilm.blogspot.com/2022/11/double-world-2020.html

• Like 1