Boss Level (2021) - Frank Grillo, Michelle Yeoh, Mel Gibson, Naomi Watt's, Selina Lo

AlbertV

Joe Carnahan is shooting a new action thriller called Boss Level, which will star his War Party producing partner Frank Grillo as a Special Forces operative stuck in a time loop where he dies. He must use the time loop to find out who has killed him. It was announced that Selina Lo (The Scorpion King 3 and Time Rush) and Michelle Yeoh have joined the cast. They join Naomi Watts, Ken Jeong, and Mel Gibson.

The film is currently shooting in Atlanta.

http://variety.com/2018/film/global/selina-lo-michelle-yeoh-cast-boss-level-1202770241/

• Like 3

DragonClaws
11 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Isn't this the exact plot of Happy Death Day.

Groundhog Day, Edge Of Tommorrow, and I'm sure there's far more earlier examples than the Bill Murray movie I mentioned.

• Like 1

Boss Level IMDB page hasn't been updated since May 13, 2018.  The release date for the US is listed as August 16, 2019.  More recently, this Boss Level First Look appeared on Youtube in early January 2019.  Note the statue of a soldier from the Chinese Terra Cotta Army in the opening scene. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

This should be out by now, and I have to say, after seeing the trailer, I'm very interested. With Michelle in it, it's a must.

HULU have picked up the distribution rights so it looks like it’ll go straight to streaming.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

This should be out by now, and I have to say, after seeing the trailer, I'm very interested. With Michelle in it, it's a must.

Trailer Link? I thought it was taken down some time ago.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Anyone watched this?

Trailer looks like it gives away the whole movie. I mean it's a fun trailer, but that's a lot of what is most likely the best "comebacks" in the movie, etc. So many movies with this theme- Happy Death Day 1 and 2, Palm Springs, and a whole bunch of others- https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/film/10-films-that-ripped-off-groundhog-day-a3755821.html

Still, cast is good, and when Frank Grillo is on, he's great! Maybe just get the free Hulu then cancel before 30 days are up.

• Like 3

Watched it; pretty entertaining nothing special. Some good action paired with some funny one liners. It was just enough for one of those lazy evenings at home. Recommended!

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU
2 hours ago, laagi said:

Watched it; pretty entertaining nothing special. Some good action paired with some funny one liners. It was just enough for one of those lazy evenings at home. Recommended!

Gonna do the Hulu trial for the next month. Burning out on Netflix.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, laagi said:

Exactly my thoughts on this. I watched most of it, I have about 10 minutes left.

• Like 3

Roy (Frank Grillo) relives the same day over and over again thanks to the time loop machine the Osiris spindle, his wife Jemma (Naomi Watts) has been working on as part of a secret project. So he gets chased everyday and eventually killed by a bunch of professional assassins, realizing he has to figure out a way how to escape the loop, little by little. Joe Carnahan directed Narc (2002) and Smokin' Aces (2006) which means he can deliver solidly. When it comes to his latest, I dig the style, loved the energy and I'm OK with video game aesthetic, but once the opening rush wears off, Boss Level feels kinda empty and spineless. It's a fun little movie, but it breaks no new ground when it comes to action. Which brings us to the sword duel. Enter Michelle Yeoh as a famous Wudang sword master Dai Feng, a twelve time world champion who gets to train Grillo for his fight with Selina Lo. Yes, Yeoh is completely wasted and they edited the shit out of that sword fight. All the killing and fighting makes Roy realize the importance of family, so therein lies the message of Carnahan's movie. We men sometimes need to do things 250 times in order to realize what it is we're supposed to do, but you can count on us to do what needs to be done eventually.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Couldn't finish it, and I'm a gig Grillo fan. Maybe later. Just so many movies with the same story line.

True, Boss Level does not stand out sadly. Grillo is in great shape here, I'm sure he can do better than this. Though I'm tempted to praise the staircase sequence, it's nothing special really, and perhaps the best thing about the action here, are those slick, neat little details Boss Level delivers.

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer

This one landed on Netflix last month, and I echo @laagi's opinion that 'Boss Level' was an entertaining ride. Plus any action flick coming out of the States right now that isn't about a female assassin gets my vote! I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/boss-level-2021-review/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1