The Empress of China (2014)

Gaijin84

empress.jpg

Just looking for some help deciphering all the different versions of this show. This is of course the one starring Fan Bing-Bing that caused all the stir with costumes that featured very low-cut fronts. This version was eventually digitally censored in China, which predictably increased demand for the original version.

This is where my questions come in... I know there are two versions out there, one that was released in Hong Kong which was censored, and one that aired in less-restrictive Taiwan that was the original version. However, the episode numbers do not match up. The English wiki page claims the Hong Kong "cut" version has 96 episodes, while the Taiwanese "uncut" version has 84?

A fair amount of torrents out there have the Taiwanese version, but with only 82 episodes, while I've seen some Hong Kong "complete" versions at 74 episodes and also references to the Taiwanese one actually being 86 episodes.

Does anyone have a definitive answer? How could the Hong Kong version have more episodes if it is censored? Simply timing of each?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Iron_Leopard

I'm sorry I cant answer this but your post has me really interested in this whole thing. 

There are so many Chinese tv shows I cant keep up with them all. 

Would this be a good place to start?

Archived