Which Tan Tao Liang movie is he killed in?

NoKUNGFUforYU

NoKUNGFUforYU

I saw this one at the Lux, and he gets killed by someone he technically outclasses (and he has some gal helping) I want to say Chen Sing, who looked very stiff but somehow comes out on top while Tan throws kicks that most 4th degree black belts could only dream of at the time. Not a good flick, I think the scene was at a beach.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of Tan's that I somehow missed, if it's anything like his fight with Chen Sing on the ship in Tattoo Connection I've gotta see it!(Well you did say the movie was crap, but hoping the end fight might be something to see)

If it's in the Ming or Qing dynasty, could it be Revenge of the shaolin master ? I remember a fight on the beach in this one, but I don't know if Tan Tao Liang was killed in it.

Also, is he still alive at the end of Shaolin deadly kicks ? I don't remember the end (except that the place where was hidden the treasure explodes...).

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Revenge of the shaolin master ?

I think it is Revenge of the Shaolin Master.

The end fight did take place on a beach.

Chen Sing is in it but he didn't play the Villain (he did fight Lung Fei on the beach).

I think it was Tsai Hung who fought Tan at the end causing his death.

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Also, is he still alive at the end of Shaolin deadly kicks ? I don't remember the end (except that the place where was hidden the treasure explodes...).

Spoiler below

Spoiler

Yes he did survive...both Tan and Doris Lung did the freeze frame fly from the explosion shot to end the film.

2 hours ago, thekfc said:

I think it is Revenge of the Shaolin Master.

The end fight did take place on a beach.

Chen Sing is in it but he didn't play the Villain (he did fight Lung Fei on the beach).

I think it was Tsai Hung who fought Tan at the end causing his death.

Oh I saw that one, definitely not as good as Tattoo Connection but still enjoyed it.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Tan was off the charts better than most of the guys in his movies, so seeing him get beat with a bunch of choy lay fut punches you can see a mile away was annoying. When he entered the scene people were so impressed that they tried to goad him into a fight with Bruce Lee. At the time, before PKA and Kyokushin got international recognition, Tae Kwon Do was the hardest contact style, so Tan and Hwang Jang Lee were considered in the words of Lee Tso Nam "Real fighters, not like the rest of these guys". Sadly TKD devolved into a slap kick point fighting sport from its original ROK roots. My old Vietnam vet boss saw a ROK marine kill a Vietcong (dude was tied down, so kind of fucked up) with a finger strike to the eyes. They don't train like that anymore.

If I remember well, mine is in French language, so, maybe my version is cut...

I'll have to revisit it, and Shaolin deadly kicks as well (French version too...) !

2 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Tan was off the charts better than most of the guys in his movies, so seeing him get beat with a bunch of choy lay fut punches you can see a mile away was annoying. When he entered the scene people were so impressed that they tried to goad him into a fight with Bruce Lee. At the time, before PKA and Kyokushin got international recognition, Tae Kwon Do was the hardest contact style, so Tan and Hwang Jang Lee were considered in the words of Lee Tso Nam "Real fighters, not like the rest of these guys". Sadly TKD devolved into a slap kick point fighting sport from its original ROK roots. My old Vietnam vet boss saw a ROK marine kill a Vietcong (dude was tied down, so kind of fucked up) with a finger strike to the eyes. They don't train like that anymore.

Bill Wallace's kicking style is similar to Tan's in that he chambers the leg in a pre side kick position and then throws the side, roundhouse and hook multiple times before putting the foot back down. Of course he can't do the spinning and jumping kicks like Tan because of the knee injury. Wish HJL and Tan could have faced off in a movie, as far as I know they never shared the screen. I never competed in the point fighting tournaments, they were bigger in the 80s before I started TKD. I competed in the WTF full contact tournaments where you wore the chest guard/hogue, head guard and forearm/shin foot pads. It was more realistic in that it was like boxing rounds and wasn't stopped unless there was a knockout or illegal warning. You could only punch to the chest though which was limiting. Didn't like the guys that wanted to sneak a quick, weak roundhouse kick in off and on while running from you most of the fight. 

NoKUNGFUforYU

I know this sounds like "back in my day" but I did TKD both in the 70's when you did almost thrusting roundhouse and side kicks and turned the body into the kick,  than I  took a break for 5 years and came back to see the 45% (more like a bad front kick) roundhouse kick implemented and the strong side kick simply used in forms. Guys would be shocked when I hit them with a jump in or sliding sidekick. It was all turnback kicks, axe kicks and really weak roundhouse kicks. There was one heavyweight that could do both down there in Los Angeles, but IMHO the Koreans commercialized the hell out of it and turned it into a joke on Bullshido. Once Muai Thai entered the seen TKD become something done in suburban mcdojos to help kids get better grades and manners, not defend themselves. STILL, some of those kids grew up, joined the wrestling team and then did MMA. Even though most kicks are from Muai Thai, some ex Jr Black Belt club kid will drop a guy in an MMA match with a spinning hook kick that Tan or Hwang would approve of.

Yeah I know what you mean, seems like most schools today concentrate solely on the kids as that's where the money is. I  always put my body and hip behind my kicks too because what good is a technique without power? Of course you need speed as well as that generates power and enables you to strike first or avoid blows,  but you have to have something behind it to do damage. Tournaments evolved into a game of tag where all they concentrated on was piling up points with speed to get the win but in the street would not be effective. You are supposed to hit with what they call trembling shock in a tournament but alot of people would hardly tap you and the judges would still give them a point. By the time everyone was doing MMA I was to old for that. I did study Judo after UFC first came out and Gracie was beating everyone cause he proved everyone needed to know something about grappling. Also studied boxing because TKD is rather limited with the hands. My instructor passed away years ago and now I just train at home and try to maintain what I can although that becomes harder the older you get. But hey, I do the best I can. 😎

Archived