The Black Dragon (1973) - Tang Ching, Tony Ferrer, Lau Kong (Question)

DragonClaws

NoKUNGFUforYU

Honestly looks like the Philippines. Phillippino's really like martial arts, even before the kung fu craze. Lots of Kempo and Kajukenbo practitioners were Phillipino's from Hawaii, etc. Quite a few really cheap movies were made over there for both the Asian and overseas markets. Production costs were low.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Honestly looks like the Philippines. Phillippino's really like martial arts, even before the kung fu craze. Lots of Kempo and Kajukenbo practitioners were Phillipino's from Hawaii, etc. Quite a few really cheap movies were made over there for both the Asian and overseas markets. Production costs were low.

Hi @NoKUNGFUforYU, really appreciate your feedback on this one. The HKMDB page says it's a Hong Kong movie, but that doesnt mean it couldnt have been filmed in the Phillipines. My first guess was it might be a Korean production.

17 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Quite a few really cheap movies were made over there for both the Asian and overseas markets. Production costs were low. 

I bet a few of these films have slipped through the cracks over the year's. Never to be seen again outside of their original Theatrical run in cinemas.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Markgway said:

Never seen this movie, but doesn't sound like Korean to me. 

I think you and @NoKUNGFUforYU are right on this subject. Theres Korean movie by the name Enter The Black Dragon on YouTube, but it might just share the same title as @ThunderScore poster?. It's in Cantonese and looks like it been ripped from a bootleg VHS release?.

4 hours ago, ThunderScore said:

Perhaps this is the Korean title -

Looks like Korean star Bobby Kim front and centre on the poster, even though he's not in the movie.

• Like 1

It was released by IFD as The Great Dragon Boxer. The scenes on the back cover look filmed in the Philippines.

MV5BZmU3ZmJkYzYtNDU0MS00ZjVhLWI3NjctYzUx

MV5BYTE5YzU5Y2MtOGQ1NC00MGZiLWFmMDktY2Ux

VHS cover with gwailos so maybe it's an IFD cut and paste of The Black Dragon.

MV5BMTU3ODZkNzQtY2FmNi00OTFhLTgwNjAtNzY2

Edited by HyperDrive
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Markgway said:

10 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

It was released by IFD as The Great Dragon Boxer. The scenes on the back cover look filmed in the Philippines.

Thanks for the feedback guy's, I think we can safely say this one was made in the Phillipines.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 1/21/2022 at 10:59 AM, DragonClaws said:

Black Dragon (1973) - Did this South Korean film ever get a DVD release?. I know this titles been discussed on the forums before. But I couldnt find any specific threads about?.

Not sure of the DVD release DC, but this is a HK-Philippines co-production, not Korean.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Not sure of the DVD release DC, but this is a HK-Philippines co-production, not Korean  -

Thanks @One Armed Boxer, I knew the film had been discussed here before. Feel free to merge my post into the correct topic, I'd read online that it was a South Korean film.

• Like 1