"Ghost Stories Of Japan" series

Shosetsu

During the 1970s I remember watching a weekly series called Ghost Stories of Japan.  So far I cannot find it on DVD though.

The only episode I can actually remember is the Ghost of Oiwa-- and for two reasons.  First reason is that the Ghost of Oiwa is the most famous of all the Japanese ghost stories.  And the second reason is because that episode starred Actor Shigeru Amachi who was already very well-known to me due to his notoriety as Detective Akechi Kogoro in the Edogawa Ranpo mystery series.  That Kogoro series is another one I wish I could see on DVD.  But no such luck.

So does anybody else remember the Ghost Stories of Japan series?

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 3

Let me add that the Ghost series I mentioned is not the anime series that premiered in the year 2000.  Instead the one I am referring to came out in either 1970s or 1980s and was live-action. That's why I mentioned Shigeru Amachi.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

I think the series you’re talking about is Nihon kaidan gekijo (日本怪談劇場) (1970). It had 13 episodes. Amachi was in episode 13. I have not seen the series myself.

It has been released on DVD in Japan several times, first in 2001 by King Records (4 DVDs, 3-4 episodes on each disc), the again by M3 Entertainment (4 Disc box set) in 2007, and finally in 2014 (6 DVDs, 2-3 episodes on each disc) by a company whose name I can’t quite figure out (it’sスバック in Japanese, maybe Svac or Sbac). All should be without subs of course.

kaid1.jpgkaid2.jpg

• Like 4

I think you're 100% right, Takuma.  That must be the one--Nihon Kaidan Gekijo, as you said. It's corroborated by the date 1970 and the fact that you acknowledge Mr. Amachi's appearance in episode 13.  Thanks.  My hat's off to you.

• Like 3

Makes me wonder if that Ghost series included any on haunted Swords.  Because there are quite a number of stories of samurai-swords inhabited by an unearthly spirit.  Those cases are an outgrowth of the indigenous Japanese religion, Shintoism,  that believes in Animism, that is, nature spirits.  

An Animistic Sword can be seen in the series Bangaku. Because in that series Bangaku actually talks to his Sword.  For example in one episode he asks his Sword which town should he go to. The Sword cannot talk back but somehow it helps Bangaku to decide on what to do.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

While we're at it about the actor Shigeru Amachi in the Ghost Story series, let me add that Amachi also starred in another series, a Samurai series called Edo No Kiba (Fangs of Edo).  Much as I hate to say it, I have to say that Amachi's Sword skills were not up to par.  It was only later when he did the Karasudo movies that his Sword skills improved.  

• Like 3

New book about silent and obscure Japanese-Ghost films.

@Takuma

Wonder if Takuma can tell if any such Silent ghost films have been shown at any of the Japan theaters that he mentions in his other thread.

Anyway this is the book. You have to scroll down a bit to see a description of its contents.

https://www.amazon.com/Carnal-Curses-Disfigured-Dreams-Perspectives/dp/1840683228/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1598605568&refinements=p_27%3AKagami+Jigoku+Kobayashi&s=books&sr=1-1

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2020 at 6:18 PM, Shosetsu said:

Wonder if Takuma can tell if any such Silent ghost films have been shown at any of the Japan theaters that he mentions in his other thread.

I'm not sure since I'm not that into ghosts nor silents. Jinbocho and National Film Archive would be the most likely places to show silent films, but I can't recall if they've shown any ghost films.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2020 at 9:26 AM, Takuma said:

I'm not sure since I'm not that into ghosts nor silents. Jinbocho and National Film Archive would be the most likely places to show silent films, but I can't recall if they've shown any ghost films.

Thanks anyway, Takuma.  As far as Silents, the best Silent I've seen so far is Kurama Tengu starring Arashi Kanjuro.  Arashi was so popular from that series that he even got his own company just like Utaemon did because of Utaemon's Crescent Scar Swordsman.  What a pity that so many of those Silents have been lost/destroyed.

The first version of Kurama Tengu I saw was the one starring Meguro Yuki.  Then in watching the Arashi version later on, I notice the inclusion of the child, Sugesaku.  Good to see that the Meguro version was faithful to the original at including Sugesaku who was a child who is a street performer.  

In the Meguro version, his Sword technique seems Inconsistent because generally he seems to show mercy by using the back-edge of his blade for combat to just knock out his adversaries.  But I remember one instance where he used the sharp edge.  In that case, it was someone who later joined a criminal gang.  Up til that time, he was Unemployed, so he was financially supported by a lady who was in love with him.  But later on when he felt that his relationship with her would hinder his success, he slew her.  So it was one of those rare instances where the Tengu felt so disgusted that he used his blade's sharp side to avenge.

That reminds me of the other series Abarenbo Shogun, about the Shogun Yoshimune.  Throughout the series, he always uses the back-edge of his sword.  But there were two exceptions.   One where the Old man, Gorozaemon was slain.  And the other where his main ninja Sukehachi was slain.  In those two instances, he took personal revenge.

If I'm not mistaken (and someone could correct me), I think that the only character who always used the back-edge of his blade was Toyama No Kinsan.  From all the times I've seen him, he has used the back-edge without any exception.  But if I'm mistaken or missed an exception, then somebody can correct me.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 4

There is another Japanese ghost story series with a very similar title: Nihon meisaku kaidan gekijo (日本名作怪談劇場) (1979). It also has 13 episodes. It’s been released on DVD and VHS in Japan (no subs of course).

I actually watched the first few episodes on TV a few months ago. Not bad, though with my general lack of enthusiasm for the genre I didn’t fnish the series. What was quite interesting about it was the cast which included Nikkatsu and Toei actresses like Yuko Katagiri, Yayoi Watanabe, Mako Midori, and Erina Miyai. I didn’t even know some of the Nikkatsu girls had TV careers. There’s also a fair bit of violence and nudity. Nudity of course wasn’t too uncommon in Japanese TV in the 1960s to 1980s, and some of the Japanese shows that travelled abroad were sometimes censored (e.g. Sonny Chiba’s Shadow Warriors in the US).

jph1.jpg

jph3.jpg

jph2.jpg

• Like 3