Stupid endings to martial arts movies

TheKungFuRobber

TheKungFuRobber

I felt I should create a thread where we can disparage movies for their bad endings. One of the worst endings I saw in a martial arts movie was in New Fist of Fury. I won't leave any spoilers, but it is just the most nihilistic ending in a kung fu movie I have seen. After seeing the Jing Wu school going through almost 90 minutes of abuse from the Japanese), is that the only resolution that the film could have? At least Bruce Lee's character in Fist of Fury went out as a martyr.

Also, My Life is on the Line was just confusing. Who the hell won the fight? It's almost as if they ran out of time to finish the fight and instead decided just to have the film end where it did? Did Beardy win? Did Minute Fong win? Did they both kill each other? Who knows.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKungFuRobber

Chinatown Kid also had a dumb ending. It plays out as a serious movie about the breakdown of a strong willed character as he becomes disillusioned with gangs, corruption and loss of old relationships, and then it plays out on some pro-education message? It's just totally unfit for a Chang Cheh movie.

Graeme Of Death

Hmm I quite liked the ending of Chinatown Kid, I thought it kept with the theme of the whole thing, go to school don't be a junkie or a drug dealer. 

12 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Also, My Life is on the Line was just confusing. Who the hell won the fight? It's almost as if they ran out of time to finish the fight and instead decided just to have the film end where it did? Did Beardy win? Did Minute Fong win? Did they both kill each other? Who knows.

While I've not seen My Life's on the Line it sounds kind of similar to Duel to the Death, at least in the sense of there's no obvious winner. IMO though I feel it was fitting for DTTD as to me it matched it's idea of a futile tradition. 

12 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Chinatown Kid also had a dumb ending. It plays out as a serious movie about the breakdown of a strong willed character as he becomes disillusioned with gangs, corruption and loss of old relationships, and then it plays out on some pro-education message? It's just totally unfit for a Chang Cheh movie.

If you're referring to the Celestial remastered version, you need to watch the international English dubbed version, it has the proper ending with the more effective dramatic impact. It's one of my favorite kung fu movies as you can tell by my forum name.  If you were talking about the English dub ending, then I respectfully disagree. 😎

TheKungFuRobber
2 hours ago, CT KID said:

If you're referring to the Celestial remastered version, you need to watch the international English dubbed version, it has the proper ending with the more effective dramatic impact. It's one of my favorite kung fu movies as you can tell by my forum name.  If you were talking about the English dub ending, then I respectfully disagree. 😎

Well the version I watched was in Mandarin Chinese, runs for 90 minutes (accounting for PAL speedup). I've heard a lot of people talk of the English dubbed version being about 20 minutes longer in runtime and that no HD mastered versions of the longer version are around at the moment and perhaps never will be, so all we have are Letterbox VHS rips floating around the internet. Overall, I think it's a great movie and definitely worth a watch

TheKungFuRobber
2 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Hmm I quite liked the ending of Chinatown Kid, I thought it kept with the theme of the whole thing, go to school don't be a junkie or a drug dealer. 

Perhaps, I just wanted to see people get killed. It's a Chang Cheh movie.

2 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Well the version I watched was in Mandarin Chinese, runs for 90 minutes (accounting for PAL speedup). I've heard a lot of people talk of the English dubbed version being about 20 minutes longer in runtime and that no HD mastered versions of the longer version are around at the moment and perhaps never will be, so all we have are Letterbox VHS rips floating around the internet. Overall, I think it's a great movie and definitely worth a watch

Yes that version from what I understand was a Taiwanese edit that was released there to appease the censors. Some scenes were completely reshot in it such as the ending that had a completely different outcome. Alot of violence and blood throughout the movie was cut too, including  the finale. When this was released by Celestial over a decade ago it pissed off everybody like me that had seen it on Black Belt Theater or on vhs/at the moviehouse because that was the version we had expected to get. If you can put up with the unremastered pic quality which isn't  bad on the international longer version I suggest you check it out. It's better and also the way Chang Cheh intended it to be seen.

1 hour ago, De Ming Li said:

I didn't like the fact that The Association with Byong Yu had no proper ending at all!

Yeah that was one awful, bizarre movie all around lol!

TheKungFuRobber
3 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

I didn't like the fact that The Association with Byong Yu had no proper ending at all!

I enjoyed The Association, it's a good murder mystery film for all it's flaws. Certainly a product of it's time with the lesbianism and satanic prostitution ring (which I would call a guilty pleasure if anything), but I was a bit disappointed in the ending.

Game of Death 1978, the internatinal ending with Billy Lo chasing Dr Land. Even the alternative Hong Kong ending isnt upto much, formerly dead actor battles syndicate before going to live the quite life. You would have expected the dock to be full of the press wanting a picture/story.

The endings to Lion vs Lion and Fatal Flying Guillotines were pretty weak. There was also one where the ending was cutoff. I'm thinking Bloody Ring for some reason.

Shaolin vs Wu Tang,as much as I love this movie I just couldn’t get my head around the way after going toe to toe with Wang lung wei they suddenly become concerned about his well being then it just ends

16 hours ago, sym8 said:

Shaolin vs Wu Tang,as much as I love this movie I just couldn’t get my head around the way after going toe to toe with Wang lung wei they suddenly become concerned about his well being then it just ends

I aways thought that was a really poor ending, guess they were concerned becuase he was a former Shaolin Monk?. Rather than just being a totally evil villian fro day one.

Just one of many stupid endings that I've totally forgotten about, until reading your post @sym8. No shortage of strange, bizarre finale's in Old-School Kung Fu film's.

Hero of The Time(1979) has a really badly filmed final few scene's, the ending was just one big mis-oppertunity really. The fight between Tan Tao-Liang and Lung Fei is just made un-watchable via all the wacky close-up's, & Fei's character's shiny gold armour etc.

Have to admit that the final shot of John Wick 3 disappointed me to write the least... The pissed off line is kinda cheesy.

Otherwise, the ending of police story 2 with the fireworks is a bit grandiloquent to me.

Killer Meteor
On 10/14/2019 at 10:36 PM, De Ming Li said:

I think he quit before shooting wrapped. The ending as it is suggests Wong In-Sik was going to escape the stakeout and fight Byong at the hospital.

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 10/15/2019 at 11:10 AM, HyperDrive said:

The endings to Lion vs Lion and Fatal Flying Guillotines were pretty weak. There was also one where the ending was cutoff. I'm thinking Bloody Ring for some reason.

Yes. I had watched the first half then got bored. Later I fast forward to the ending hoping for at least a good finale. Nope, weak ass Wong Yue gets chased around by Wong Lung Wei until, well, I don't want to give it away, but it wasn't any good.

Archived