New Fan Project (non martial arts): Koreyoshi Kurahara's Antarctica/Nankyoku Monogatari (1983)

TheKungFuRobber

TheKungFuRobber

I've decided to put my Game of Death 4K custom on hold, largely because a 4K edition of the Cantonese version is already in the works to focus on a restoration of another movie. This time, I will be working on Antarctica, a 1983 Japanese production about a group of huskies who are abandoned in Antarctica and their stuggle of being left to fend for themselves.

This will be my first major custom fan project on a non martial arts film, made outside of Hong Kong or Taiwan. I have decided to do this project because this is a very important historical film which has a special place in my heart. If you haven't seen it I would suggest you watch it, if you love animals you will cry. I have also realised that there is no official subtitled version in 1080p (the Hong Kong DVD edition is the only English subtitled released and even then, the film is presented with hardcoded English and Japanese subtitles on top of that. There is also no cinemascope release of the English dubbed edition, which unfortunately is only out on VHS.

This edition will be based on the Japanese Blu Ray edition. I will recreate the English language version and also subtitle the Japanese version using the Hong Kong DVD as a helper. I don't think this will take long to do, as the cinematography is worth a thousand words more than any of the dialogue in this movie. It's a film which has to be seen, and for whatever reason even Eureka and Criterion have completely forgotten about this film along with Snowpeircer which is also one of the greatest movies I have ever watched and lacking a definitive physical edition.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

I heard about this movie and how harsh it is if you love dogs (and even if you don't apparently). IIRC, it had a great and very atmospheric soundtrack by Vangelis.

Is that Snowpiercer film you're mentionning the Korean movie from a few years ago with a train travelling through a post-apocalyptic (IIRC) world and its occupants being separated depending on social condition, or is it a different movie ? Cause I think the one with the train exists on DVD and BD, though I have no idea how good the US release(s) is/are.

TheKungFuRobber
1 hour ago, Secret Executioner said:

I heard about this movie and how harsh it is if you love dogs (and even if you don't apparently). IIRC, it had a great and very atmospheric soundtrack by Vangelis.

Is that Snowpiercer film you're mentionning the Korean movie from a few years ago with a train travelling through a post-apocalyptic (IIRC) world and its occupants being separated depending on social condition, or is it a different movie ? Cause I think the one with the train exists on DVD and BD, though I have no idea how good the US release(s) is/are.

Yes that's the Snowpeircer I speak of, and it doesn't even have an official uncut blu ray release in the UK.

Archived