Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024) - Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Bronson Pinchot

AlbertV

PandaPawPaw
2 hours ago, laagi said:

An overall decent effort mainly living from Eddie Murphy's performance and plenty of nostalgia!

Let's get something out of the way Eddie Murhpy has gotten old. That's just a fact and a fate ultimately none of us can escape.

But when it comes to legacy characters there's just no denying it's really starting to show! Still I was happy to see Axel Foley back on the screen one last time. I sincerely hope it will be a send-off for good.

Definitely better than part 3 'BHC: Axel F' still suffers from an incredibly weak story. There's zero surprise let alone suspense here. You can all see it coming a mile away! Worse even every step of the way "things" just fall into Axel's lap; at times even literally.

Fortunately most of the comedy still works so does the relationship with his daughter portrayed by Taylour Paige which in my opinion gave the best performance from the supporting-cast.

It's probably one of the better returns of a beloved character, Jesus it's a masterpiece compared to 'Coming 2 America'! If you love Axel or Eddie I'm confident you'll enjoy this. For everyone else it's light entertainment for a night at home.

C2A was absolutely awful and not a patch on the original!

I'll give this a watch just to see the old faces back but I'm not expecting much from Murphy.

Wasn't there a TV series too or something?

• Like 3

CaldoTheKid
On 7/5/2024 at 12:07 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

Wasn't there a TV series too or something?

A pilot was filmed a decade ago and was given the go ahead and its about Foley's son, Murphy also appears. Problem was the studio or network believed Murphy would be in every episode, however Murphy just wanted to stop in for the occasional episode and the higher ups didn't like that idea, so it never went ahead.

The pilot is on YouTube 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

AlbertV
Posted (edited)

I watched it on Thursday and I have to say, I liked it. What killed me though was that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was looking like the 2022 version of Jeff Wincott, who recently is making a comeback but with more dramatic roles. I like the estranged relationship between Axel and Jane (I'm assuming Janice, Theresa Randle's character from BHC3 is the mother?) and how Jane is more like her dad than she appears to be and come on, Taggart as the new chief and Serge's extended cameo was great IMO. Overall, one for the nostalgic crowd (like me)

beverly-hills-cop.jpg
jeffwincott2022.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

I enjoyed this one too. It’s very cookie cutter but it’s a damn good cookie. Eddie Murphy still proves he can be the lovable Axel Foley and the fan service is very welcome.

I love that the whole things feels like a modernized 80’s film, if that makes sense. It just sad that vibe to it. The way films used to be. Fun.

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)

The first hour or so I wasn't feeling it at all and was kind of bored but then it picked up and turned out OK. The action towards the end was fun especially when the main three were reunited and both Levitt and Taylour Paige were good! I enjoyed seeing Serge again too. I was surprised to see Kevin Bacon in this but he's always cool to watch and makes a great villain.

I thought Eddie was hit and miss as his style of comedy has changed over the years and he has a tendency to veer into the Nutty Professor/Klumps style of comedy/voice which feels odd and not as raw as he was in the first film. I also think it's a shame he changed his actual laugh as it was fun listening too though I get why he made the effort to change it.

I loved the impound scene. I found it very funny and the nostalgia of it all and the music was great. I do think the main theme was a bit overused though.

The film is slightly too long though and could of been a tad shorter. I loved the final car scene with all three chatting like old times and it was a great way to end it.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 1

Finally got around to watching this, and I was very delighted and amused altogether. Eddie Murphy has aged (still looks a bit younger his age though) but he proves that his comic prowess is still intact and as effective as ever. Great casting providing reliable support from Gordon-Levitt, Bacon, the OG actors Reinhold as well as Ashton and Pinchot, and Paige. And what a way of bringing back the classic 80s Hollywood feel by utilizing Jerry Bruckheimer for the explosive and intense action sequences, and overall vibe. Gotta revisit the original, and watch the other installments.

• Like 1