Operation Bangkok (aka Heroes Return) (2021)

Drunken Monk

Hung Guo directs this action film about aging soldiers who are at war with modern day thugs. The cast includes Yuen Biao, Ken Tong, Ng Man Tat, Ray Lui, Raquel Xu and and Kathy Chow.

1567321341ifije.jpg

• Like 5

One Armed Boxer

I'll be the one to ask - 

1. Why are the credentials on the bottom of the poster for the 2011 Jason Momoa starring Conan flick, 'Conan the Barbarian 3D'!?

2. Why is the release date for said Conan flick listed as August 91!?

3. What does any of this have to do with 'Heroes Return'!?

Capture.PNG

• Like 5

It looks like one of those low budget productions that Biao shot in the Philippines. He didn't convince me very much. It all looks rough and amateurish. I have a feeling that Yuen will have few scenes in the film. let's hope it's at least "watchable"

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 1/16/2021 at 12:45 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Looks like this one is going straight to streaming.

Hitting HK Blu-ray & DVD on Friday!

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 9/19/2019 at 1:25 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Please, oh please, oh please, let Yuen Biao have some killer MA fights in this.

Apparently you and I are on the "pay no mind" list with our wishes. :dull

On 1/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

I'll be the one to ask - 

1. Why are the credentials on the bottom of the poster for the 2011 Jason Momoa starring Conan flick, 'Conan the Barbarian 3D'!?

2. Why is the release date for said Conan flick listed as August 91!?

3. What does any of this have to do with 'Heroes Return'!?

Capture.PNG

Based on everything I've read, you'll have a lot more "why?" questions once you see this @One Armed Boxer. Like...

1. Why have so much potential ans apparently suck?

2. Why waste Yuen Biao?

Etc.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Looks like this one is going straight to streaming. It also looks like Yuen Biao isn’t in it that much.

Oh no. :squigglemouth:

On 1/18/2021 at 5:29 PM, JackieRome said:

It looks like one of those low budget productions that Biao shot in the Philippines. He didn't convince me very much. It all looks rough and amateurish. I have a feeling that Yuen will have few scenes in the film. let's hope it's at least "watchable"

Those were far from classics, but still enjoyable. So... maybe this will be...? :sweating

On 2/1/2021 at 9:41 AM, Qing Long said:

tttghghh: https://www.chrichtonsworld.com/2021/11/review-heroes-return-aka-operation.html

Dammit! :neutral:

On 7/21/2021 at 8:50 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Hitting HK Blu-ray & DVD on Friday!

I almost pulled the trigger and bought this on Blu-ray along with KUNG FU STUNTMEN (2021), but I can't find anybody saying anything positive about it. So... no. :lipssealed

• Like 4

ShaOW!linDude
On 1/1/2022 at 1:35 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Apparently you and I are on the "pay no mind" list with our wishes. :dull

Sad but true.

I'm coming to the conclusion that either Biao isn't being offered much in the way of roles, which is stupid 'cause the guy has charisma, acting, and MA chops; or he prefers small roles that lean more towards acting than action because he's lost interest in the physical stuff. Maybe it's a bit of both. I don't know. Shame though.

• Like 3

The movie is still better than Vincent Zhao's similar Counter Attack. By a lot. In fact, Heroes Return or whatever it's called managed to slightly amuse me. There are a lot of okay-ish shootouts, some nifty moves, a cool female archer so I only felt occasionally bored. But I regularly watch Chinese made-for-streaming military actioners so perhaps I just already let go of bigger expectations. I just wonder who the real director of the movie is. Ken Yip?

• Like 2

I watched this a while ago and can barely remember anything. Yuen Biao basically didn't do anything in the movie. So if you were wishing for some sweet hand to hand combat you'll be sorely disappointed. It's just another one of those movies with some famous name attached to it. Althought I have to wonder how many people outside of this fandom would recognize Yuen Biao and therefore would pay any attention to this movie.

• Like 3