Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) Lupita Nyogo'o, Letitia Wright, Martin Freeman, Winston Duke

AlbertV

At D23 this weekend, Ryan Coogler and Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige announced that Black Panther II will be released on May 6, 2022. Coogler will return to the director's chair and he will also be writing the script for the sequel, which will bring back Chadwick Boseman in the role of T'Challa, King of Wakanda. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Secret Executioner

Sorry in advance if it comes across as inappropriate or morbid curiosity, but has there been word on how they'll handle Black Panther following Chadwick Boseman's passing ? I felt the lead from Tenet looked a lot like him, but I imagine handling the change will be harder to pull than just bring in a different actor.

• Like 1

There have been a few theories that have popped up after the tragic passing of Chadwick Boseman. Here are a few theories:

• Re-cast T'Challa, but Marvel I think is compelled to keep Boseman's memory alive and thus, may have something else in mind.
  • One theory would involve making Letitia Wright's Shuri a replacement. Technically, if T'Challa were to pass, she would be the successor to the throne, although she still would have to prove herself in unarmed combat. We know she can handle weapons and did design the outfits for T'Challa.
  • Bring in a new Black Panther in the form of character Kevin "Kasper" Cole, a NYC cop who in the comics started as a Black Panther impersonator and would later become the hero White Tiger.
  • Another is to make it a prequel, which would talk about the history of the Black Panther legacy with T'Chaka, T'Challa's father as the main protagonist.

So right now, things are up in the air as to what they are going to do with Black Panther II. In the meantime, I keep watching Civil War, Black Panther, Infinity War, and Endgame for Boseman's memory.

• Like 4

Secret Executioner
3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Re-cast T'Challa, but Marvel I think is compelled to keep Boseman's memory alive and thus, may have something else in mind.

My first thought on the subject was that fans may not take this well. I figured the lead from Tenet could be a decent replacement because he reminded me of Boseman, but I don't know.

I also figured that with Thanos destroying half the universe and the time travelling done in Endgame to bring back everybody, followed by Mysterio messing with the multiverse in Spiderman: Far from home, we could have explanations as to why the universe (including characters) could seem different in future movies so why not use this as an excuse when characters have to be recast or altered ?

I mean, the DC Universe got modified when Flash went travelling back and forth in time, first altering the past when trying to prevent his mother's murder (it cancelled his existence but made the world a terrible place where superheroes have very different fates and a war between Aquaman's Atlantis and Wonder Woman's amazons threatens to destroy the planet) then cancelling his alteration of the timeline by stopping himself but still causing changes, namely the New 52 continuity (with a different history and altered versions of some characters). I'm wondering if it could work in the MCU - Endgame felt similar with the characters travelling in time, messing around with the timeline and continuity (were sequences we saw in the old movies actually featuring future versions of the characters ?) could have similar consequences in the MCU.

I think so far only James Rhodes has been re-cast but he was a rather secondary character in the movies he was in (which is pretty much just the Iron Man trilogy and Avengers: Age of Ultron IIRC ?), so we're in a very different case here. I'm not counting Hulk as I'm not too sure if the 2003, 2008 (The Incredible Hulk) and 2010s (Avengers series and Thor: Ragnarok) Hulks are the same or distinct versions - IIRC, the 2008 movie isn't supposed to be a sequel to the 2003 movie (in spite of connections one can find between the two movies) but has a post-credit scene where Tony Stark tries to recruit Banner.

3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Bring in a new Black Panther in the form of character Kevin "Kasper" Cole, a NYC cop who in the comics started as a Black Panther impersonator and would later become the hero White Tiger.

Considering what has been/is to be done with some characters (Captain America, Black Widow), I feel having a different guy than T'challa wearing the mantle would be a good alternative. But I'm not familiar enough with the character to know how well this could be pulled off.

• Like 2

I think what they should do is if there will be a new Black Panther film, have the character (which could be Kasper Cole or even Shuri) debut 1st in another MCU film then explain the story in Black Panther 2.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Drunken Monk

Moving Namor to Central America is a very bold choice (I can hear the Marvel fanboys crying already) but I think it's an interesting one. I kills two birds with one stone for Marvel: it separates him from being too similar to Aquaman and it gives them Latinx representation. I'm all for it.

• Like 2

One prominent character who will be missing from the new sequel is Daniel Kaluuya's W'Kabi, T'Challa's best friend turned rival turned ally again. The reason was because Kaluuya was too busy shooting another movie: Jordan Peele's upcoming horror film Nope.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/daniel-kaluuya-not-returning-black-panther-2-1235179924/

• Like 2

I don't know what it is but I honestly don't care about yet another Marvel entry.

Black Panther was so overrated and I felt like you couldn't dare not to like it because... you know.

I'm also getting tired of people repeating that we're all gonna be in tears because of the tribute to Chadwick.

I don't know too much forced feeling and an overall "this can only be good" got me kind of turned off.

Definitely not something I'll seek out when it drops. Just my two cents!

• Like 1