What should I do for my next big custom project?

TheKungFuRobber

TheKungFuRobber

I want to do another restoration project like I did on Hitman in the Hand of Buddha. I need a new movie to do. I'm stuck between trying to recreate Lee Tso Nam's official print of Edge of Fury with Bruce Li, or Lau Kar-wing's He Has Nothing But Kung Fu with Gordon Liu and Wong Yue. Both are amazing movies which have been lacking in a decent release, and considering that you can now get a HD print of He Has Nothing from Chinese VOD, I figured that I would be up to the job of reconstructing the Cantonese print and writing accurate new English subtitles from the Hardsubs (because I can't understand a word of Cantonese, only Mandarin).

Give me a recommendation, and I'll let you come up with something. Just please oh please, don't ask me to reconstruct a movie that doesn't exist anymore such as The Big Boss II or anything which doesn't have a cinemascope edition. LOL

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A HD custom of He Has Nothing But Kung Fu sounds very interesting.

I would really love to see someday a custom version of Little Superman/Bruce D-Day at Macao, one of my favorites. Maybe it is possible to combine the cut german DVD with the french lbx version.

TheKungFuRobber
On 8/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, kevenzz said:

Edge of Fury already has a reconstruction… I don't know maybe it could be perfected a little bit.

https://www.amazon.de/Asia-Line-Bruce-Vergeltung-Limited/dp/B0736QDY9N/

Didn't know that. Well it's just an idea. Guess I'm doing Nothing but Kung Fu, but I have a few errands and favours to do first.

See what I did there? xD

here's what that german dvd look like…. but I believe this is the shorter german cut… the English version is longer… I can't remember right now :)

On 8/29/2019 at 3:53 AM, Avenger said:

A HD custom of He Has Nothing But Kung Fu sounds very interesting.

It does indeed. It's one I've always wanted to see in better quality.

21 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Didn't know that. Well it's just an idea. Guess I'm doing Nothing but Kung Fu, but I have a few errands and favours to do first.

Sorry, I know its a bit late inthe day for suggestion's.

TheKungFuRobber
13 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Sorry, I know its a bit late inthe day for suggestion's.

Might be worth considering for a DVD, especially if I can get a nicer print.

TheKungFuRobber

Changed my mind on the project. Instead of doing a custom of He Has Nothing But Kung Fu, I'm going to do a custom of the Cantonese print of Game of Death, which I promised to do years ago now. Basing it on the UHD French blu ray, so it will be in 4K this time. Expect to see the film in a way you've never seen it before, unless you were lucky enough to have seen the Cantonese print in theatres. I'm only 21 so, not me unfortunately. I've got some really good materials to work with. Movie will be posted on Internet Archive as I did with Hitman in the Hand of Buddha.

17 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Changed my mind on the project. Instead of doing a custom of He Has Nothing But Kung Fu, I'm going to do a custom of the Cantonese print of Game of Death, which I promised to do years ago now. Basing it on the UHD French blu ray, so it will be in 4K this time. Expect to see the film in a way you've never seen it before, unless you were lucky enough to have seen the Cantonese print in theatres. I'm only 21 so, not me unfortunately. I've got some really good materials to work with. Movie will be posted on Internet Archive as I did with Hitman in the Hand of Buddha.

Good luck with this one @TheKungFuRobber, looking forward to watching this version when it's out.

Did the Cantonese print run longer than the International version?.

TheKungFuRobber
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Good luck with this one @TheKungFuRobber, looking forward to watching this version when it's out.

Did the Cantonese print run longer than the International version?.

It runs for 98 minutes at film speed, so not particularly. International version is longer because it has a longer title sequence and a scene with Roy Chiao. Thing is, Game of Death was going to be an English language film to begin with, and 1978 film was shot edited and released along two lines with actors speaking their own language, kind of like a spaghetti Western. It's unfortunate that they didn't decide to include any of the fight footage with Cheih Yuan or James Tien in the final cut. I guess that they decided it wasn't appropriate to use given the circumstances and people would rather see Bruce Lee fighting through these people as an action movie, while the original cut of Game of Death, as shown in the movie Bruce Lee in GOD is much more experimental and has a lot more dialogue and extended duels. The best cut of the 1978 film is the Japanese cut, which is about as long as the English version but has a longer cut of the Ji Han Jae fight and Bruce Lee's actual battle cries edited in from his earlier movies, rather than being dubbed in by the soft spoken man who provided ADR for the English version of Game of Death.

52 minutes ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

It runs for 98 minutes at film speed, so not particularly.

Thanks @TheKungFuRobber I've only seen some few non-action scenes from the Cantonese version, and some of the Pogoda fight's.

54 minutes ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

while the original cut of Game of Death, as shown in the movie Bruce Lee in GOD is much more experimental and has a lot more dialogue and extended duels.

This also varies slightly to John Little cut of the existing pogoda scene's. In terms of colour, sound, dialogue and runtime.

TheKungFuRobber
On 9/8/2019 at 7:34 PM, DragonClaws said:

Thanks @TheKungFuRobber I've only seen some few non-action scenes from the Cantonese version, and some of the Pogoda fight's.

This also varies slightly to John Little cut of the existing pogoda scene's. In terms of colour, sound, dialogue and runtime.

Yes. The Bruce Lee in GOD cut also omits the log scene which exists partly in the John Little cut. If anyone knows where I could get either version in HD, please hit me up. I would love to have Bruce Lee in GOD on Blu Ray.

I red a lot times, that Robert Clause didn't like the Bruce Lee footage and he and Raymond thought there were already enough pagoda films and audiences already tired of this. So the try to create something new. There plan was to cut in little footage in a film that includes parts of  Bruce Lee life and rumors about his death plus they wanted as many friends of Lee in this as possible. But as you know, instead of Inosanto everybody refused to be a part of the film

On 9/3/2019 at 1:45 AM, kevenzz said:

here's what that german dvd look like…. but I believe this is the shorter german cut… the English version is longer… I can't remember right now :)

The German DVD has 3 versions. The German version (Runtime 72 min.), The English dub version and a extended version 

On 9/7/2019 at 10:31 PM, TheKungFuRobber said:

Thought your next project would be something like Shaolin Vs Lama... thanks for all your hard work anyways☺️

Archived