Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021): Tom Holland, Zendaya, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jamie Foxx

AlbertV

Tom Holland told EW that this is the finale of a trilogy and after his next MCU film (which he's a supporting player), he's done but Sony may be up for bringing him back if it calls for it, especially for a project with Tom Hardy's Venom:

“We were all treating [‘No Way Home’] as the end of a franchise, let’s say. I think if we were lucky enough to dive into these characters again, you’d be seeing a very different version. It would no longer be the ‘Homecoming’ trilogy.

We would give it some time and try to build something different and tonally change the films. Whether that happens or not, I don’t know. But we were definitely treating [‘No Way Home’] like it was coming to an end, and it felt like it.”

• Like 2

Man, if Tobey Maguire ends up having a major part in this, I will defiantly be checking this out. The Sam Raimi's Spiderman films are some of my favorite superhero movies(Yes, I even like the third one), so it will be awesome to see all the characters back again. 

• Like 2

Well, some good news for Spider and the MCU; Sony executive Amy Pascal has announced that even though No Way Home will end a trilogy, Spider-Man will be staying in the MCU and Sony is now planning the next Spider-Man film with Marvel Studios...make that a new trilogy!

"We are getting ready to make the next #SpiderManSpiderManNoWayHome_2021_v2.png movie with Tom Holland and Marvel. We're thinking of this as 3 films, and now we're going onto the next 3."

• Like 2

This was/is best comic book ever..or at least best spider movie..was bit worried at first as not big fan of a multiverse. But what a blast, so many good old villains. Goblin and Sandman particularly deliver..You see some allies on spiderside too. I think go to see this again to cineme. Sony, keep spidey on your branch and co-operate with disney do not sell it, it is rare case comic book movie this great,,,and what happens in next dr strange movie???

• Like 3

They took some of the most hated aspects and redeemed them. They told the audience your going to love andrew garfield as spiderman and your going to love the almost exact same tobey spiderman 3 ending you swore you disliked haha. 

Thought the movie was incredible in its own ways, havent felt much feeling like that from anything as far as I can remember in recent times. Gut wrenching scenes near the end (I thought). And Ive been a longtime disliker of mcu and tom holland for some time.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch

The second theater watch of the year.  So many of my friends were on me to watch this, but I wanted to wait until the theater was emptier than not.  This was the most fun I have had in an MCU film in quite a while.  Now The Eternals is the only MCU movie I have not seen.  I am not sure how much I want to rectify that like how F9 is the only Fast & Furious film I have not seen.

How do I write this without spoiling?  I avoided as much talk/tweets as I could on this, of course with so many friends telling me to watch the damn film so we can discuss. I had an inkling of what was in this due to pictures that would pop up, but I avoided every single review (and trailers). If you have not seen this movie, you might want to avoid this thread.

I feel it helps to have seen all of the Spider-Man films.  I have talked to several people who have not and still enjoyed this movie (with a few who thought it was overrated), but those who have seen all got more nerdy joy from it.

But all three Spider-Mans are here and many of the villains played by the same people (and a good use of Electro).  Oh, that was fun.  Does it seem like William Dafoe has aged or has he always looked crazy, I mean older?  But the banter between the three and the fact that they teamed up well was certainly fun and a highlight of the film.  I am still of the opinion that Tobey Maguire was the best Spider-Man and the first two directed by Sam Raimi are still my favorites (and I feel the acting skills and presence of Dafoe and Molina help so much in this movie), but I had a lot of fun with this movie.  I did not dislike Andrew Garfield as much (kidding, I actually liked the first Amazing Spider-Man though I did not like the second at all). I  am still not sold on Rhys Ifans.  A decent use of Sandman.

J. Jonah Jameson was doing an obvious Alex Jones reference.  Especially with the supplement sales.  A lot of Doctor Strange style action, which has its influence from Inception.

I have the Jordans that he is wearing early in the film – the Jordan 1 Hyper Crimson.

The movie could have been a bit tighter with the plot and sometimes it meanders (both good and bad).  The resolution is unfortunately obvious from the beginning of the film and creates so many possible paradoxes that it is best not to think about it.  Memories have too many threads.  It some aspects it reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  I was also thinking that they would not have the balls to keep reveal Peter Parker’s identity to everyone.  And then when Doctor Strange came in, I am thinking I know a good chunk of this story arc.  Sometimes I feel that with the inclusion of characters like Doctor Strange – they are just too powerful and with their warlock ways go too far into fantasy (though I did like the first Doctor Strange movie a lot).  The pathos could be a little grating as well. 

But overall good action, fun dialogue, a great return of some characters (and kudos for getting the original actors) without demeaning them and creating new possibilities and just a good time in the theater.

• Like 2

Spider-Man: No Way Home got one Oscar nod: Best Visual Effects. Congrats to Kelly Port, Chris Waegner, Scott Edelstein, and Daniel Sudick.

• Like 2

Finally watched it and I'm gonna be that guy, I thought it was just OK. Definitely doesn't live up to the hype!

Don't get me wrong it is pretty entertaining and I'm a sucker for a good superhero movie. Disney went out of their way to really amp up their game with this one. Especially when it comes to the Memberberries.

And truth be told I enjoyed that aspect of the movie. Needless to mention the craftsmanship when it comes to the CGI as well as the action is top notch. But that's to be expected by now I'd argue.

Unfortunately with everything else, the movie pretty much lost me with Peter's first little "mishap". Not to mention by the second time around I was pretty dumbfounded. Also some of the jokes were pretty bad and not in a good way.

Last but not least MJ as well as Ned were rather subpar. This whole dynamic about their friendship... I don't know.

Glad most if not all seem to enjoy this but for me it just didn't do the trick.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4

In regards to Spiderman 4

I love venom as much as the next guy, but Im not at all excited to see holland duke off against venom yet. Guess I just dont have a great urge to see venom on the screen anytime soon. Its just a tired concept, Id much rather see a different villain again like weve gotten. I mean how annoying would it be if they had redone the green goblin in this series or anything for that matter, the spiderbite, his best friend osbourne, uncle ben getting shot. Its all been taken care of in the first franchise. I feel that way with venom, spiderman 3 was perfectly fine for the most part. 

I dont even have the desire to check out the venom movies, theyre far down on my list. Crazy that hardy gets to play two of the biggest most badass comic villains bane and venom. 

Just feels like a wasted opportunity for a new character onscreen. Weve already gotten several venom movies, theyre fine on their own (probably).

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, Koravec said:

I dont even have the desire to check out the venom movies, theyre far down on my list.

I feel you on this. Never have been a Venom fan. However, my daughter wanted to see the 2nd one (with Woody Harrelson playing Carnage) on the big screen when it came out, so I took her. That was actually pretty good. I almost want to watch the first one now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I feel you on this. Never have been a Venom fan. However, my daughter wanted to see the 2nd one (with Woody Harrelson playing Carnage) on the big screen when it came out, so I took her. That was actually pretty good. I almost want to watch the first one now.

I love venom as much as the next person like I said. I wouldnt doubt that the tom hardy venom movies are “pretty good” but just that doesnt drive me to want to check them out asap. Didnt even know woody harrelson was in it.  

Although maybe I should say the trailer and promotion for the first one didnt get me hyped at all, yet morbius and black adam somehow did? If I wanted more venom I could just rewatch the underrated blast (yet admittedly messy) of a film that is spiderman 3 or read some comics.  

Just feels like were being robbed of another great villain portrayal. however the more I talk about it the more excited I actually get lol

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2