Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021): Tom Holland, Zendaya, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jamie Foxx

AlbertV

As many of you may have heard at one point, there was a breakdown of talks between Sony and Disney in terms of using the character of Spider-Man. On Monday, Sony announced that Spider-Man: Far from Home is the company's highest-grossing film for the company, beating out Skyfall with $1.1 billion. Of course, Avengers: Endgame defeated Avatar as the highest-grossing film in box office history. Well, here's what happened.

Sony and Disney decided to renegotiate on the use of Spidey in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, owned by Disney. The original deal is that Sony allowed Disney to use the character with Disney getting 5% of the films' gross profits and merch revenue. Disney has asked for equal share for Spidey and Sony flat out refused. This would mean that Marvel's Kevin Feige would no longer get producing credits on any future Spider-Man films and effectively, Spidey would leave the MCU. However, as of this post, negotiations are still ongoing so what will be Spider-Man's future? It can go either way.

What do you guys think? Would you rather see Spider-Man stay in the MCU, or do you want to see Spidey stay with Sony on a full-time basis, eventually leading to a Spider-Man/Venom collaboration perhaps? Feige did help with minor input on Sony films involving Marvel characters, such as Venom.

Sony does have two more Spider-Man films planned with Tom Holland returning as Peter Parker and Jon Watts directing. Watts did mention he wants to bring in other Spidey villains never before seen on screen. Rumor is #3 may have Kraven the Hunter possibly as the villain.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/20/did-marvels-kevin-feige-quit-spider-man-over-disney-sony-profit-dispute/

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feige-spider-man-franchise-exit-disney-sony-dispute-avengers-endgame-captain-america-winter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

So there was a bit of misinformation involving the original matter. According to reports, Disney wanted to raise their gross from 5% to 50%, but it was revealed that they were hoping for 25% of a new deal that would have included another Holland-led Spidey trilogy, which would focus on his college years and a meeting with Angelica "Firestar" Jones and Bobby "Iceman" Drake of the X-Men, and two more Avengers films and would have added Venom to the MCU. However, Sony said no and despite negotiations apparently ongoing, Holland is signed for one more Spider-Man film but could find a new director if Jon Watts (who only signed on for Homecoming and Far from Home) does not re-sign. FFH writers Erik Sommers and Chris McKenna are currently at work on the script for the new Spider-Man 3

Spider-Man himself, Tom Holland:
“Basically, we’ve made five great movies. It’s been five amazing years. I’ve had the time of my life. Who knows what the future holds? But all I know is that I’m going to continue playing Spider-Man and having the time of my life. It’s going to be so fun, however we choose to do it. The future for Spider-Man will be different, but it will be equally as awesome and amazing, and we’ll find new ways to make it even cooler.” Holland also appeared to give reassurances to the D23 crowd in a prior presentation, stating “Hey everyone, it’s been a crazy week but i want you all to know from the bottom of my heart that I love you 3000.”

Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige:
“I’m feeling about Spider-Man gratitude and joy. We got to make five films within the MCU with Spider-Man: two standalone films and three with the Avengers. It was a dream that I never thought would happen. It was never meant to last forever. We knew there was a finite amount of time that we’d be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell, and I’ll always be thankful for that.”

But overall, as mentioned in my last post, Spider-Man is no longer in the MCU.

• Like 2

Major news! Spider-Man is returning to the MCU. Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios finally made an agreement and will collaborate on the 3rd film as well as a future Spidey appearance in another MCU film. And an official release date is locked down: July 16, 2021.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/09/27/spider-man-disney-marvel-deal/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Disney head Bob Iger has revealed that after the original deal between Marvel and Sony fell through, it was Spidey himself, Tom Holland, who contacted both Iger and Sony head Tom Rothstein and now, Holland is being credited with saving the partnership which now will include Spider-Man 3 and a future appearance in an MCU film.

https://www.thewrap.com/bob-iger-explains-how-tom-holland-saved-spider-man-in-the-marvel-sony-partnership-video/ 

• Like 3

Secret Executioner

@AlbertV Sounds like some great news. I enjoyed Holland's Spidey in Infinity Wars, though I still haven't watched his solo movies from the MCU. I wonder what future movie he'll drop in, as I don't think there are many of them that make you say "Spidey should be in there". Though considering how many characters he has teamed up with and the tendency of the MCU to have random cameos, I guess anything's possible. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2019 at 1:46 PM, Secret Executioner said:

I wonder what future movie he'll drop in, as I don't think there are many of them that make you say "Spidey should be in there".

There are plans for a new Avengers film, with the new line-up so one can only guess this will be the future film Spider-Man will appear in aside from his third solo film. Most likely, Phase 5 of the MCU:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/avengers-lineup-revealed/

• Like 3

Personally, if they do SPIDER-MAN 3, they should "go big or go home" and do a new Sinister Six. I haven't the second one yet, but I imagine that Vulture, Shocker, the Tinkerer, Scorpion (Max Gargan was in Homecoming), Mysterio and the Prowler could comprise the team.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Personally, if they do SPIDER-MAN 3, they should "go big or go home" and do a new Sinister Six. I haven't the second one yet, but I imagine that Vulture, Shocker, the Tinkerer, Scorpion (Max Gargan was in Homecoming), Mysterio and the Prowler could comprise the team.

Did you see this article on ScreenRant?
https://screenrant.com/spiderman-3-movie-mcu-sinister-six-roster-prediction/

• Like 3

15 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I did now. I personally don't want another Doc Ock. Alfred Molina was *the* Doc Ock and I don't want another--especially if the technology that creates his arms can be traced back to Tony Stark. Kraven could be interesting. He should be played by Ted Nugent.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Kraven could be interesting. He should be played by Ted Nugent.

Or better yet, Scott Adkins ;)

• Like 3

At a recent roundtable, Disney chief Alan Horn and Sony chief Tom Rothman discussed the return of Spider-Man and they both said the media outputted the "split news" prematurely as they were in active negotiations at the time of the split annoucement. 

Rothman: "This was a classic win-win-win. A win for Sony, a win for Disney, a win for the fans. The only thing I would say is that news cycles and the rhythm of negotiations do not necessarily overlap. And this is, in the words of Shakespeare, a consummation devoutly to be wished. We would have gotten there, and the news got ahead of some things.”

Horn: “The fan base, which is important to all of us, seemed to really respond to what Tom [Rothman] and his folks have done before with our people They like the fact that the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Kevin Feige were involved [in the two Spider-Man films]. We heard feedback out there that suggested that joining forces once again was probably really a good idea.”

• Like 3

The next Spider-Man film may actually be a "multiverse" film (teased in "Far From Home"). It looks like it will connect to the upcoming Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness because it appears Benedict Cumberbatch will be appearing in Spider-Man 3 and Jamie Foxx has in fact signed on to return as Electro (although rumors are that he will may sport the more traditional costume or something similar rather than his ASM2 look) but that's not the shocking part...here's where it comes in.

This has just been clarified that it has not been confirmed by Sony, but the rumors is that this "multiverse" would not only include Tom Holland as Peter Parker, but the return of both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield as their respective Peter Parkers as well. Right now, it has been debunked and may be some sort of fandom things, but should this actually come true, this is going to be one insane Spidey film.
https://screenrant.com/spiderman-3-tobey-maguire-andrew-garfield-cast-debunked/

• Like 3

Get ready for these news:

https://collider.com/spider-man-3-cast-doc-ock-alfred-molina-andrew-garfield/
https://screenrant.com/mcu-spider-man-3-known-details/

Alfred Molina is returning as Doctor Octopus!

Kirsten Dunst AND Emma Stone are in talks to return to their roles of Mary Jane Watson (Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy) and Gwen Stacy (Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man series)

Andrew Garfield has signed on to return as his Peter Parker from The Amazing Spider-Man with Raimi Spidey Tobey Maguire still in talks.

Jamie Foxx's Electro will be sporting a new look as will MCU Spidey's BFF Ned Leeds as actor Jacob Batalon has lost 100 pounds.

a3b8f984f83253fca561b1b7ca55fc8a

The new Spider-Man film will directly connect to 2022's Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Major rumor is that Willem Dafoe may possibly be returning as Norman Osborn/The Green Goblin from the Sam Raimi Spidy trilogy.

• Like 2

Tom Holland shot down rumors that Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield are returning:

"No, no, they will not be appearing in this film. Unless they have hidden the most massive piece of information from me, which I think is too big of a secret for them to keep from me. But as of yet, no. It'll be a continuation of the 'Spider-Man' movies that we've been making."

Could Holland be telling the truth, or could he be actually be lying and was told to keep it a secret by denial (he has been known to divulge secrets). Only time will tell. 

https://www.insider.com/spider-man-3-tom-holland-details-information#theres-been-widespread-speculation-that-previous-spider-man-actors-tobey-maguire-and-andrew-garfield-will-make-appearances-but-holland-says-thats-not-true-5

• Like 3

Secret Executioner
On 2/23/2021 at 11:58 PM, AlbertV said:

Tom Holland shot down rumors that Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield are returning:

"No, no, they will not be appearing in this film. Unless they have hidden the most massive piece of information from me, which I think is too big of a secret for them to keep from me. But as of yet, no. It'll be a continuation of the 'Spider-Man' movies that we've been making."

Could Holland be telling the truth, or could he be actually be lying and was told to keep it a secret by denial (he has been known to divulge secrets). Only time will tell. 

https://www.insider.com/spider-man-3-tom-holland-details-information#theres-been-widespread-speculation-that-previous-spider-man-actors-tobey-maguire-and-andrew-garfield-will-make-appearances-but-holland-says-thats-not-true-5

I feel maybe he is trying to keep things down to avoid people getting too hyped. I mean, these "returns" might as well be extended cameos...

Jamie Foxx's Electro was okay, but felt a bit too one-dimensional (he is mad at Spidey for brushing him off IIRC). I hope he'll be fleshed out a bit more here. The costume switch could be neat (the AS2 design was pretty bland IMO), though I imagine they would have to tone down the colors a bit if they go for the original look. His appearance here and the multiverse thing would (should ?) mean a rather important part for Andrew Garfield's Spidey. 

Finally, how are they bringing back Gwen Stacy ? Didn't she die in AS2 ? Either it will be flashbacks (would it require the actress to return ? Stock footage should be enough) or they are paving the way for a Clone saga. The Jackal, Ben Reilly and the Punisher (since he first appeared as a Jackal ally they may toss him in as well) soon to be in the MCU ? That sounds interesting.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

I hope that, in one of the sequels, they cast Dylan O'Brien to play an antagonist of some kind. There's something quite smarmy about him that would make for an effective foil to Tom Holland.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

I hope that, in one of the sequels, they cast Dylan O'Brien to play an antagonist of some kind. There's something quite smarmy about him that would make for an effective foil to Tom Holland.

He could make for a good Harry Osborn should they go that route. 

• Like 2

The trailer was leaked but according to sources, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield return as their Spider-Mans and Willem Dafoe returns as The Green Goblin. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I'd recommend that everyone avoid the leaked trailer. Some of the visual effects aren't done and it's literally someone filming a phone using their own phone. It's no way to watch anything. I turned it off.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'd recommend that everyone avoid the leaked trailer. Some of the visual effects aren't done and it's literally someone filming a phone using their own phone. It's no way to watch anything. I turned it off.

Here it is! The official teaser!

• Like 2