James Bond 25: No Time To Die - Daniel Craig, Lashana Lynch, Rami Malek, Ana De Armas

DragonClaws

Don't know why everyone applauded Ana de Armas scenes. Yeah, they were somewhat refreshing, but every time a woman beats up big bad guys it destroys the movie for me. If a slim woman in a dress can defeat the evil guys, I think to myself "alright the protagonist is not in danger." If the movie is set in a realistic environment you can't do stuff like this. If it is a female super hero, let's say in a Marvel movie, that's another story.

The movie itself has boring Action (or let's say Action that you have already seen done better in other flicks), a boring plot and is an hour too long. ...Maybe a little bit better than spectre. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kwai said:

Don't know why everyone applauded Ana de Armas scenes. Yeah, they were somewhat refreshing, but every time a woman beats up big bad guys it destroys the movie for me. If a slim woman in a dress can defeat the evil guys, I think to myself "alright the protagonist is not in danger." If the movie is set in a realistic environment you can't do stuff like this. If it is a female super hero, let's say in a Marvel movie, that's another story.

In my opinion, this is a joyless way to look at female vs make fight scenes. I’ve been watching Angela Mao defeat entire rooms full of men for years now and I’ve always loved every minutes of it. Same with Atomic Blonde,  Kate etc.

Sometimes suspension of disbelief really benefits the audience. It makes things more fun. If you dwell on realism, you’re setting yourself up to not like certain movies.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
29 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

In my opinion, this is a joyless way to look at female vs make fight scenes. I’ve been watching Angela Mao defeat entire rooms full of men for years now and I’ve always loved every minutes of it. Same with Atomic Blonde,  Kate etc.

Sometimes suspension of disbelief really benefits the audience. It makes things more fun. If you dwell on realism, you’re setting yourself up to not like certain movies.

The difference is exactly what you say... suspension of disbelief. I BELIEVE Angie Mao, Kara Hui, Michelle Yeoh, Yukari etc. can actually whoop ass because the choreo, their real life skills and the movie itself MAKES me believe it. 

I don't think I have ever seen a single Hollywood fight scene that made me believe some dainty woman could take out big, hulking guys.... not a one. Maybe if I had more time to think I could come up with a few, but off hand I can't name one. 

And that run of Mary Sue fighting femme flicks that Hollywood has been spewing out for over a decade now are just embarrassing to watch. If it's a fantasy or superhero setting I can give it a pass. Not that I watch those, but I get that it has its own genre ruls. It's all those female spy, hitwoman, secret agen films..... utter, laughable trash.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

The difference is exactly what you say... suspension of disbelief. I BELIEVE Angie Mao, Kara Hui, Michelle Yeoh, Yukari etc. can actually whoop ass because the choreo, their real life skills and the movie itself MAKES me believe it. 

I don't think I have ever seen a single Hollywood fight scene that made me believe some dainty woman could take out big, hulking guys.... not a one. Maybe if I had more time to think I could come up with a few, but off hand I can't name one. 

And that run of Mary Sue fighting femme flicks that Hollywood has been spewing out for over a decade now are just embarrassing to watch. If it's a fantasy or superhero setting I can give it a pass. Not that I watch those, but I get that it has its own genre ruls. It's all those female spy, hitwoman, secret agen films..... utter, laughable trash.

To each their own. I’ve been more than content with seeing women who are maybe 100 lbs soaking wet beat up five burly guys in a row. I can’t explain why because it’s entirely illogical. Maybe some people’s suspension of disbelief is more powerful than others. To me, watching Liuxia Jiang beating the shit out of twenty guys (as she does in Bad Blood) is no different from watching Charlize Theron beat the shit out of three or four guys.

Not that I begrudge you your opinion. Not at all. I can certainly understand why it might not sell for some people. 

• Like 3

On 2/13/2022 at 4:04 AM, Drunken Monk said:

You talk about a different Genre. In a Wu Xia Movie or something similiar it's not a problem. I have no problem if Hsu Feng is the strongest fighter in "To Kill with Intrigue" and beats up Jackie, because it is set in a Wu Xia Universe or let's say there is mystery and fantasy involved. Like TibeateanWhiteCrane said the Movie sets the "rules". In "Enter the Dragon", Angela Mao finds herself in a realistic environment and fights tooth and nails to run away from the bad guys and she does get away for a long time, but it is realistic and the gang of guys corner her.

Another thing is also Girls with Guns-Movies from the 80s from HK. The whole idea is about woman who are the protagonists, so I can get behind it. Also because of the way the movie is presented. And even in that movies, sometimes I can't get behind the idea of Cynthia Khan beating up let's say Stephan Berwick. And we know that in reality she was doubled a lot even for certain moves and the real Star was Donnie.

I think the best  potrayal is when it's a Girl vs. Girl Fight. One of the better fights with women in a hollywood film is probably Michelle Rodriguez against Gina Carano in Fast and Furious 6. But of course it doesn't even come close to Man vs Man-Fights.

• Like 2

Coliseum1972

55 anniversary : YOLT (met Karin Dor in  '15 , RIP)

45 : TSWLM (Elvis saw it 4 days before he passed....also 5 yrs & 40 yrs since Moore/Jurgens passed) 

35  TLD (Bond reborn......wish Dalton would do a con , i never thought Rigg would do a con but it happened....)

• Like 2