Deadly China Doll - where can I find it?

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

I've been interested in seeing this Angela Mao/Carter Huang (but not apparently Golden Harvest) basher for some time, but it doesn't seem to be on DVD or even, barring a few clips, Youtube. I wonder if Warners has it - it was an MGM release stateside back in the day and their pre-1983 titles are all with Warners now.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Custom DVD Cover, anyone on here have this release?.

MV5BNWZlYzYzOTItZjcxYi00ZjkzLWIzYTYtM2E2

I LOVE Angela Mao more and more !!

It seems to me that I had bought a bootleg dvd of this movie years ago from an ebay seller, but I haven't had time to watch it as yet. This clip makes me eager to watch it ! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

I've just watched it,starts with the MGM logo.i have hazy memories of HKFlix selling this years ago,i suspect it was this version.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

This was back when MGM was releasing Night of the Lepus and The Green Slime, so Deadly China Doll was right at home!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Are you sure that this seller sells originals and authentic official releases ?

He also sells on ebay and never shows a " real " dvd, always a cover and I'm a little bit dubious about his items...For instance, he sells some Bonzai relesases of Bruce Lee's movies, of Angela's movies and even some old school movies (such as Bloddy fists) and some Shaws' bootlegs too...

• Like 2

That listing will be exactly the same poor quality bootleg i've got from cinemageddon, please no-one pay $25 for it, if you want it let me know and i'll do it for the price of postage 😎

• Like 4

I still have the original bootleg of this. Wanted to remaster it but it is near impossible to get it colorcorrected. The same with Revenge of Kung Fu Mao. Both are such classics and the only way to watch this great fu movies are on  old bad bootleg DVD's. But i am happy to have them.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

This was a quickie flick for all involved. I doubt a print was saved anywhere. The company only made one or two movies. It was a fight fest and Mao was super popular, but not up to her Hapkido standards, etc.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 2/8/2021 at 12:43 PM, Killer Meteor said:

For all we know, Warners has a copy - they own MGM's pre-1985 back catalogue.

I doubt they kept it. No reason to.  I am sure they dumped more than just Kung Fu movies that were shown on few runs and that is it. If the VHS did not do well they probably tossed the prints and negative. It costs money to store films and keep them up.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

PS, Fortunestar owns this, which may be good news as they blocked it in the USA, etc. Maybe it will show up someday, at least on VOD, then I would do a custom. But who knows when if ever?

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

One presumes this played under it's original title THE OPIUM TRAIL in HK, so did anywhere else release it except there and the U.S.? -maybe  prints of it still exist in some other territory?

• Like 4

Cognoscente
On 8/17/2019 at 7:05 PM, Killer Meteor said:

Panasia is the production company, maybe GH did release it in HK?

It seems like Panasia was a subsidiary of GH. According to the below Chinese page, Who Am I? is one of Panasia's films.

http://movie.miaogemall.com/company/10488/

Back to The Opium Trail, the key people who worked on this movie were contracted to GH.

• Like 5

Killer Meteor

Finally watched it courtesy of Youtube. It's got a good cast but feels a bit mediocre, especially without Sammo to choreograph the action. I assume the random English language pop-song at the end was added by MGM.

• Like 3

Cognoscente

More about Panasia courtesy of Lisa Oldham Stokes and Rachel Braaten for their book, Historical Dictionary of Hong Kong Cinema: "In 1974, when Golden Harvest acquired Panasia Films, Morgan became managing director of the local distribution company. In 1976, the conglomerate formed Golden Communications (which included Panasia, Golden Communications Overseas Ltd., and Golden-Towa), with Morgan as president and CEO; the company distributed big pictures across Asia, such as Dino DeLaurentis' King Kong (1976). The company was the largest English distribution company in Asia."

• Like 4