Undercover Brother 2 (2019) - Michael Jai White, Barry Bostwick, Gary Owen, Vince Swann

AlbertV

Michael Jai White replaced Eddie Griffin as the titular Undercover Brother in a sequel that is being released by Universal's 1440 label, which focuses on direct-to-DVD/BluRay sequels. Chris Brewster (Daredevil's fight double in the Marvel/Netflix) series served as fight choroegrapher. Conan Lee choreographed the original film which starred Griffin in the Blaxploitation homage/spoof adventure.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6843446/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_7

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming November 5 on Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital. Chris Brewster (Marvel's Daredevil stunt/fight double) is fight choreographer this time around.

OMG! What the hell did I watch? Not only was this very unnecessary, but MJW was pretty much wasted. He's only in the opening sequence and final act doing his thing (with the occasional Obi-Wan appearance in the middle), but the middle was more an attempt to launch actor/comedian Vince Swann (as UB's brother Lionel) but the script is just very bad. Only good things scriptwise? Gary Owen is funny as Militant Brother and Barry Bostwick as The Man. MJW when he does fight, goes from platform shoes to white Adidas sneakers (error) then when it comes to the stunts, back to platforms. Chris Brewster did a good job with the action. But overall, we didn't ask for it...and didn't need it. Stick with Black Dynamite.

• Administrator
23 hours ago, AlbertV said:

OMG! What the hell did I watch? Not only was this very unnecessary, but MJW was pretty much wasted. He's only in the opening sequence and final act doing his thing (with the occasional Obi-Wan appearance in the middle), but the middle was more an attempt to launch actor/comedian Vince Swann (as UB's brother Lionel) but the script is just very bad. Only good things scriptwise? Gary Owen is funny as Militant Brother and Barry Bostwick as The Man. MJW when he does fight, goes from platform shoes to white Adidas sneakers (error) then when it comes to the stunts, back to platforms. Chris Brewster did a good job with the action. But overall, we didn't ask for it...and didn't need it. Stick with Black Dynamite.

Okay... I think I f***ed up. I pre-ordered the Blu-ray of this, based on the fact that I thought it might be akin to BLACK DYNAMITE (2?), and that at the very least I'd get a Michael Jai White leading role, martial arts fights, some laughs, and a cool retro soundtrack. So, uh... no? 😕 And, to add insult to injury... I just found out I could've just watched it on Netflix for free. 😝 Doh!

Does MJW do any action stuff? 😳

I think I'm going to be returning this Blu-ray. Good thing I didn't open it.

2 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Okay... I think I f***ed up. I pre-ordered the Blu-ray of this, based on the fact that I thought it might be akin to BLACK DYNAMITE (2?), and that at the very least I'd get a Michael Jai White leading role, martial arts fights, some laughs, and a cool retro soundtrack. So, uh... no? 😕 And, to add insult to injury... I just found out I could've just watched it on Netflix for free. 😝 Doh!

Does MJW do any action stuff? 😳

I think I'm going to be returning this Blu-ray. Good thing I didn't open it.

He does...he only fights in an opening scene and then the big finale scene. But it's so funny watching him in the platforms then cutting to him sporting the Adidas when he throws kicks. I was laughing so much at it. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

He does...he only fights in an opening scene and then the big finale scene. But it's so funny watching him in the platforms then cutting to him sporting the Adidas when he throws kicks. I was laughing so much at it. 

Hmmm... I will watch it on Netflix, then decide whether or not to return the Blu-ray.

Thanks for the fast response @AlbertV.

ShaOW!linDude
On 11/21/2019 at 11:38 AM, AlbertV said:

Not only was this very unnecessary, but MJW was pretty much wasted. He's only in the opening sequence and final act doing his thing (with the occasional Obi-Wan appearance in the middle), but the middle was more an attempt to launch actor/comedian Vince Swann (as UB's brother Lionel) but the script is just very bad...But overall, we didn't ask for it...and didn't need it. Stick with Black Dynamite.

For real. I'll be honest that I didn't expect much action-wise from MJW in this, but I did think he would be in it more than he was. He's a good actor, and BD proved he has some comedic chops.

This was like a mash up of Undercover Brother and Black Dynamite, and a very poor one.

@KUNG FU BOB, just go ahead and send it back. Once you've watched it on Netflix, you won't ever be watching it again. As far as MJW doing some action? Netflix had his movie The Hard Way. Search it out and stick it in your queue. Some fantastic fights in there with him putting the beatdown on folks. I really wish that would get a dvd release.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Christ, this is going to sound super arrogant, but my youtube subs that I wrote for fun are as good as this dreck, if not, well, better. I should have kept trying to do the script thing. I certainly wasn't outclassed for the most part. Sure, there's some great comedies here and there (GOOD BOYS, SUPERBAD) but there's a ton of total shit out there. Couldn't get through 15 minutes of it. And now that you tell me MJW is only in the first part, well, that's it for me! You'd be better off seeing something truly funny like Good Boys or subversive like US. Or watch THE ART OF SELF DEFENSE .

• Administrator
On 11/26/2019 at 4:42 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

For real. I'll be honest that I didn't expect much action-wise from MJW in this, but I did think he would be in it more than he was. He's a good actor, and BD proved he has some comedic chops.

This was like a mash up of Undercover Brother and Black Dynamite, and a very poor one.

@KUNG FU BOB, just go ahead and send it back. Once you've watched it on Netflix, you won't ever be watching it again. As far as MJW doing some action? Netflix had his movie The Hard Way. Search it out and stick it in your queue. Some fantastic fights in there with him putting the beatdown on folks. I really wish that would get a dvd release.

You are oh so right @ShaOW!linDude. I watched it on Netflix and returned the Blu-ray.

Wasn't aware of THE HARD WAY. I'll check that out for sure.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:59 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Christ, this is going to sound super arrogant, but my youtube subs that I wrote for fun are as good as this dreck, if not, well, better. I should have kept trying to do the script thing. I certainly wasn't outclassed for the most part. Sure, there's some great comedies here and there (GOOD BOYS, SUPERBAD) but there's a ton of total shit out there. Couldn't get through 15 minutes of it. And now that you tell me MJW is only in the first part, well, that's it for me! You'd be better off seeing something truly funny like Good Boys or subversive like US. Or watch THE ART OF SELF DEFENSE .

I will definitely be watching the two comedies you mentioned. Unlike most people, I wasn't a big fan of US. Great, creepy build-up and idea. But once it got to the meat of the story I did not find it scary at all. It totally lost its teeth for me at that point. Disappointing. The director's first film GET OUT is fantastic though.

But back to the topic at hand...

"Can you dig it?" Hell no, I do NOT dig it. Ugh!

I'm a big fan of Michael Jai White, and since it doesn't look like we're going to get a sequel to BLACK DYNAMITE (released almost 11 years ago. Though we did get the hilarious and irreverent BLACK DYNAMITE animated series. Now if only Warner Bros. would release season 2!) I thought this might come close. Nope.

MJW is not only a total badass, but I think he is very funny. Somehow, between the terrible directing and writing the filmmakers managed to ruin both of these strengths. Does he fight? Yes. But it's filmed horribly, framed too close to appreciate the action and with four times as many edits as necessary. Then he basically gets sidelined for nearly the whole movie. Despite MJW playing the title role of Undercover Brother he's really only making an extended cameo (as @AlbertV mentioned), with the film focusing on his younger brother. So instead of UNDERCOVER BROTHER 2 it should be called UNDERCOVER BROTHER'S BROTHER. Or, more appropriately: A HUGE WASTE OF TIME. Yes, it's free to watch on Netflix, but I still feel like I paid too much! 😝 It has a few interesting ideas, but everything is executed in a lame fashion. Most of it is really poor, but there are some segments that are so bad (and go on and on) it almost had me turning it off. I only watched to the end hoping to see MJW possibly fight again. My mistake.

Okay, SPOILER ALERT: I'm going to tell you the two bits that made me laugh. Then you won't be missing anything and can avoid this film.

Spoiler

(Picture MJW with a completely serious face reading these lines in perfect deadpan style)

Sarcastic Brother: "It's an honor to meet you, and I'm being totally sincere. Even though my voice sounds like it's not."

Undercover Brother: "Well I'm happy to meet you. Although my face might look like I might punch you in your face At any second."

And after crashing a gathering of white supremacists, He says...

Undercover Brother: "Greetings inexplicably angry white people. Welcome to your worst nightmare... black men with gun permits."

The song and video at the end are amusing. But not enough to make the film worth sitting through.

I give it 3/10 stars.

Archived