Ku Feng

ShawAngela

We are several fans of this actor here, and, if I'm not mistaken, it seems to me that there isn't a single thread devoted to him, so, I decided to create one.

I just took a look at his filmography and saw that a lot of titles have been added to it since my last visit...

376 movies !! And a large part of them are Shaws' ones, with a very few of Cathay ones too.

What a prolific actor !

And the series aren't mentioned on hkmdb, though he did some at ATV and maybe Morris Weinberg ones too.

Hkcinemagic lists some TVB series too...

Share your views on him here, please !

I think that he deserves his own thread...

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 6

Chu Liu Hsiang

I adore Ku Feng, what a great actor. He definitely deserves his own thread!

The best dramatic role I've seen him in is as Wu Song's brother in TIGER KILLER, amazing performance. I really hated his guts in NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN or AVENGING EAGLE. The way his eyes seem to sparkle with pure evilness, wonderful. He just turned 89 years old. Long live Ku Feng!

image_detail.mhtml?id=3579&image_id=1876

kufeng.jpg

AvengingEagle+1978-6-b.jpg

• Like 4

If I'm not mistaken (too many movies in my memories !!), he was also very touching in Heroes shed no tears...

And he paired very well with Wang Lai in Ripples (still if I'm not mistaken) and in Judgement of an assassin.

• Like 2

Here is what Ku Feng says :

There was no way that I could let the other stars Ti Lung and David Chiang  dominate me.

And on the other side, they wanted to win the game towards an old man like me in order to avoid loosing face.

So, Liu Shifu (Liu Chia Liang, I guess) told us : " Guys, you are going to fight for real ! " Hence, we began to be frightened because we were needed to fight for real.

After a day of unending shots, we were all wounded and we all had the same thoughts : ready to die on the movie shot.

Here are my wounds on the movies shots, even when not fighting for real, so, imagine when the fights were for real !

We were asked if we were ok, and of course, we answered  " ok " !

This is not translated in French, but he ends saying that the director (I guess) said : " so, let's go on " !

I hope that my English translation is good enough. BigRogie can correct me if I made mistakes...

• Like 6

Chu Liu Hsiang

Oh what a true gem you found @DragonClaws, thanks for sharing! And thank you a lot @ShawAngela for the translation! Now knowing this, I have to rewatch the movie soon :) 

• Like 3

DragonClaws
23 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

And by the way, thank you very much for sharing this clip !

20 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Oh what a true gem you found @DragonClaws, thanks for sharing! And thank you a lot @ShawAngela for the translation! Now knowing this, I have to rewatch the movie soon :) 

No problem, I'll keep an eye out for any other Ku Feng material while online.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon
8 hours ago, teako170 said:

Return of the One-Armed Swordsman 

I don't think Ku Feng ever looked more badass and tough than he does there with the shaven head.

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard
On 7/26/2019 at 9:27 AM, ShawAngela said:

Here is what Ku Feng says :

There was no way that I could let the other stars Ti Lung and David Chiang  dominate me.

And on the other side, they wanted to win the game towards an old man like me in order to avoid loosing face.

So, Liu Shifu (Liu Chia Liang, I guess) told us : " Guys, you are going to fight for real ! " Hence, we began to be frightened because we were needed to fight for real.

After a day of unending shots, we were all wounded and we all had the same thoughts : ready to die on the movie shot.

Here are my wounds on the movies shots, even when not fighting for real, so, imagine when the fights were for real !

We were asked if we were ok, and of course, we answered  " ok " !

This is not translated in French, but he ends saying that the director (I guess) said : " so, let's go on " !

I hope that my English translation is good enough. BigRogie can correct me if I made mistakes...

Man. Ku Feng was a beast.

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard

I think Ku Feng is my number one favorite Shaws Actor.

I've actually never thought about this before. Who I would consider my all time favorite.  I just sort of liked everybody equally cause they were all great.

It didn't dawn on me who my favorite would be until my recent first time viewing of "The Deadly Breaking Sword". I didn't check the cast beforehand like I usually do so I had no idea he was in this. But the second he showed up as the Killer Doctor I just felt this wave of excitement and satisfaction wash over me. It had nothing to do with his performance really but just the fact he was there I instantly became so much more invested in the movie. 

Hes arguably the number one Shaws villain of all time so he automatically elevates any movie he's in for me. 

So I think I just realized Ku Feng is my number one guy.

Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 4

He is great whatever character he plays.

Did you see him in movies such as Kiss and kill or Ripples, in which he sings (if Im' not mistaken this movie with another one) ?

This guy is able to do everything, and from what I read, he began as a singer.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Hes arguably the number one Shaws villain of all time so he automatically elevates any movie he's in for me. 

For some years yes. Then became time wang lung wei was #1 and finally in last years lu feng was most bad ass crook...

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard
10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

He is great whatever character he plays.

Did you see him in movies such as Kiss and kill or Ripples, in which he sings (if Im' not mistaken this movie with another one) ?

This guy is able to do everything, and from what I read, he began as a singer.

I have not seen those. Are they Shaws?

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard
6 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

For some years yes. Then became time wang lung wei was #1 and finally in last years lu feng was most bad ass crook...

Did they ever team up in a movie? That would have been great.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I have not seen those. Are they Shaws?

Yes, they are Shaw Brothers' movies.

He has small roles in which he sings in The shepherd girl, Call of the sea and Ripples and he has funny roles in Kiss and kill, maybe Operation Lipstick, All mixed up, and I haven't watched all of his movies.

I just saw that he also played in Stage door Johnny and a few other ones that i already watched and i didn't even spot him !! I need to revisit them in order to see him !!

• Like 4

Light in the Dark
18 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

So I think I just realized Ku Feng is my number one guy.

Ku Feng shines in every role he plays even the smallest of ones.  For me, it's been neck to neck between Ku Feng and Lo Lieh for a while now.  I do believe Ku Feng has the lead right now and it also helps that I recently watched Tiger Killer and The Black Tavern.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Did they ever team up in a movie? That would have been great.

All 3 appeared in 10 tigers of kwantung and 5 deadly venoms.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
2 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

All 3 appeared in 10 tigers of kwantung and 5 deadly venoms.

Oh ok. It's been so long since I've seen those two movies.

• Like 2