Battle of the Planets (TBA) - Joe and Anthony Russo to Produce

AlbertV

Joe and Anthony Russo, the directors of the highest-grossing film in box office history, Avengers: Endgame, announced they will be producing a live-action adaptation of Battle of the Planets, the Sandy Frank-produced version of the 1971 Japanese anime Ninja Tai Sentai Gatchaman. They were big fans of the series as kids and with the success of their Marvel slate, they are ready to produce a live-action version of that particular film.

battle-of-the-planets.jpg?w=681&h=383&crMV5BMWYwNTg3YjItMTAyOC00OWEzLWE4MjMtNjEz

• Like 2

intriguing 🤔

If they get in James Gunn on directing duties I'm sold ( He seems to manage to handle outer space shit pretty well based purely on the GOTG movies)

could do without 7-Zark-7 being resurrected though - the absolute bullshit filler robot sequences made for the US market release.

• Like 2

I'm sure it will be better than the 2013 Japanese live-action Gatchaman movie. It had its moments, but was a bit sluggish for me, plus I wasn't too keen on the changing of specific plot points.

gatchaman-movie.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

https://collider.com/magic-the-gathering-netflix-update-battle-of-the-planets-movie-joe-russo/ from April 22, 2020

Joe Russo gave a few updates on his and Anthony Russo's live action movie adaptation project of Battle of the Planets as well as info on other projects he has in the works.  "It's not going to be a direct adaptation of the series... It's going to be our own story that we tell surrounding a group of genetically altered kids who are involved in a space war... That could take months of gestating and trying to figure out what the new mythology is. And then we commit that to a bible, and then from that bible we do some artwork as exploration, and once we have artwork that we're inspired by we then commit that to a script. So we're in the bible phase for Battle of the Planet at the moment."

• Like 2

Kin and F9: The Fast Saga scribe Daniel Casey has been hired to write the screenplay for the film. Even more the better, The Russo Brothers are collaborating with Tatsunoko, the Japanese anime house that unleashed the original series, Kagaku Ninja Tai Gatchaman. Casey will be working with both the Russos and Tatsunoko to help mold the script. 

https://www.darkhorizons.com/f9-scribe-to-pen-battle-of-the-planets/

• Like 2

Yeah, this should be approached with extreme caution. American adaption's of Anime don't have the best track records. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Yeah, this should be approached with extreme caution. American adaption's of Anime don't have the best track records. 

True, but I think the Russos can pull it off.

• Like 3