Question about the Modern Era...

Guest moviegyrl

Guest moviegyrl

To WHAT or WHOM can the popularity of mid '80s-'90s HK cinema be credited?

- Directors/Producers (Woo, Lam, Hark, etc.)?

- Actors (Yun Fat, Jackie, Jet, Michelle, Donnie, Moon, Leslie)?

- Action Choreographers (Sammo, Corey, Woo Ping, etc.)

- Genres (Heroic Bloodshed/Gangland flicks, Male/Female Supercop flicks, Historic biopics, Swordplay Fantasies, Horror)?

I find it hard to settle on one, definitive answer.8o How about you?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

thats because there is no real definitive answer.

but i think it can be attributed to a different shift in action cinema. the oldskool era was great and all, but crowds were getting bored. not to say that present day actioners didnt already exist....but they were given a real facelift in terms of plot, acting, intensity, direction, etc.

Guest Beat TG

Actors/directors/producers of the 80s:

-Jackie Chan

-Sammo Hung

-John Woo

-Tsui Hark

-Ringo Lam

-Chow Yun Fat

-Yuen Biu

-Yuen Woo Ping

-Tony Ching

-Johnny Mak

-Corey Yuen

-Dickson Poon

-Michelle Yeoh

-Roy Cheung

Actors/directors/producers of the 90s:

-Johnnie To

-Tsui Hark

-Jet Li

-Tony Ching

-Chow Yun Fat

-Tony Leung

-Donnie Yen

-Andrew Lau

-Wilson Yip

-Ekin Cheng

-Lau Ching Wan

-Simon Yam

-Roy Cheung

I could go on in the latter era...

Guest D1 Ma

I agree with the opinion that there were three main reasons that helped to form "Modern Era":

New action choreography by Sammo

John Woo (Triad films and themes)

Tsui Hark - themes, production values

They made the biggest impact and then were followed by many talents of HK cinema

Guest kungfusamurai

Modern Actioners probably really took off with Police Story and Yes Madam. But I still think Sammo kinda kicked it off with earlier movies like Carry On Pickpocket and Winners & Sinners. It's hard to say if Lau Kar Leung also foresaw the trend when he did Lady Is The Boss. But I'd say '85 was the year that it blew up big time, which then really hit overdrive the following year with Woo's Better Tomorrow.

Yeah, the audiences had gotten tired of the period pieces, and I guess criminals and gangsters were big in the news, so it only made sense to make movies about cops vs gangsters in modern day HK. Then the pendulum swung back to period movies for several years starting in '91 when Tsui Hark did OATIC, I guess in anticipation of HK going back to China and all that.

Edit: I should have added that it was Sammo's behind the scenes work that really pushed the genre forward. He was one of the producers of Yes Madam, and I think a lot of what Jackie did was from watching how Sammo worked.

KFS

Guest BKarza

Sammo, Tsui Hark and Dean Shek. Cinema City and Golden Princess were responsible for a lot of the herioc bloodshed, comedies and dramas that made up the modern era. They spawned the core of hk strong filmakers and crews as a whole.(directors, cinematographers, scorers)

Sammo produced so much and got work for so many it's ridiculous. From the action style, to action directors, to action actors and even scorers(Lowel Lo).

I'd say those 3 were the core. Yuen Lau was too expensive in execution and ideas and too free for anyone to copy him.

Archived