What Shaw's Related Titles most NEED to be Restored and re-released on DVD/BluRay??

LiuYiLong

Evening All,

So I'm currently working my way through some of the excellent 88films Blu Ray releases of various Shaw Brothers movies and really enjoying having commentary tracks and the option of original language and English dubs on the same disc etc..and am very aware of the rights issues relating to 88 films releasing more Shaw's titles (Dragon Dynasty and Studio Canal+ own the rights to all the most well known titles) 

But thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we can put forward ideas on Shaw's related titles that are desperately in need of a make over (and may be a little easier to get the rights to, though assuming original negatives could still be found to do a decent transfer from of course!)

My top initial ideas/'wants' are:

1) Shaolin Vs Wutang (1983)- Gordon Liu's excellent directorial debut ( and the only time he ever directed a movie to my knowledge) Starring Adam Cheng  and produced by Lau Kar Leung.

The Vengeance films DVD version of this is horrendous, in 4:3 with no original language and hard burned subs

2) NInja in the Deadly Trap / Ruthless Tactics - (1981) - easily my favorite of the post Shaw's Venoms flicks, 

Directed by Philip Kwok/Kuo Chui and produced by Chang Cheh, starring three of the Venom's ( Kuo Chui / Lu Feng and Chiang Sheng ) along with Ti-Lung and Yasuaki Kurata ( Heroes of the East)

Only DVD i know of out there is the Tai Seng R1 version which is long out of print ( but did have a commentary track on it by Ric Meyers - no idea on picture quality)

Its currently on Amazon Prime but again only in 4:3 and in appalling quality..

3) Fists and Guts (1979)- Another Lau Brothers production - directed by Lau Kar Wing, starring Gordon Liu and Lo Lieh with cinematography by the incredible Arthur Wong

Another only available on Tai Seng DVD, and once again only in 4:3 with English dubs.

4) Warrior from Shaolin / Carry on Wise Guy ( 1980) - Another Lau Kar Wing directed classic

also available on Amazon Prime but again only in 4:3 and Eng dubbed.

5) Shaolin Drunken Monk 1982 - Directed by Tsai Yang-Ming

Another chance to see more of Gordon Liu's 'Drunken Boxing' similar to the choreography we saw fleetingly in Heroes of The East - in both cases showing us Lau Kar Leung's take on the Drunken fist.

Anybody else have any other titles to add to the above ?

( or any info on better quality versions of them that may be out there already in other markets)??

Thanks for reading :)

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 11.56.49.png

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 11.56.22.png

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 11.55.37.png

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 11.51.15.png

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 12.05.35.png

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree on all of them.

ANd in the " Gordon Liu's series ", I would add The warrior from shaolin and Shaolin drunken monk. I would love to see all these movies with Mandarin language and English subtitles...

Archived