Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) - Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tessa Thompson, Christian Bale

AlbertV

masterofoneinchpunch

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022: Taika Waititi): this was almost a by myself theater watch except for the couple who came late and sat way in the back corner.  Overall, this was not good. Here is a good example of how to destroy moments in a film with attempts at humor.

The Guardians of the Galaxy start to the film works OK with the humor (which I felt should be treated like a cold opening in television), though it was starting to get grating.  By the end there was so many attempts at jokes that fell flat the film became obnoxious.  It was like the director had no idea of when to put a joke and where and though heck I’ll just put it everywhere regardless of how good it is.  Some of the action scenes are marred by this obnoxiousness.

I felt that the potential for the antagonist was wasted.  Christian Bale is a good actor and he is fine here, but you needed better direction and a better script for him.  Here he is Gorr (OK he needed a better name too and a better character design, but he does look a little like The Mechanic gone mad) a God Butcher with a very unique sword that kills gods (kind of makes the gods seem a lot less powerful doesn’t it).

And you have his old love interest return in Dr. Jane Foster (Natalie Portman).  All the scenes of melodrama and pathos are cut with humor which grates.

Why the director felt the need to put his rock character is so much is such a good example of Narcissism.  And they did a Groot with the character as well at the end.  I’m like please kill off this character and I normally don’t feel that way.

The special effects were OK.  The plot had promise.  But the awful overdone humor (some jokes worked, most did not), the OK CGI, the OK fight scenes, the should have been better dramatic moments (also ruined by “humor”), and I hated the whole ending kids charge sequence.  This movie was really made for kids wasn’t it?

Not much in this film is interesting and has not been done several times before in the MCU.  OK so you bring in the Greek Gods (and others) and have the goofiest looking bunch you could create.  This was another wasted sequence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

The Guardians of the Galaxy start to the film works OK with the humor (which I felt should be treated like a cold opening in television), though it was starting to get grating.  By the end there was so many attempts at jokes that fell flat the film became obnoxious.  It was like the director had no idea of when to put a joke

1 hour ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

All the scenes of melodrama and pathos are cut with humor which grates.

That's pretty unfortunate. A villain with a title like "God Butcher" deserves a dark, somber movie. Your criticism also reminds me of the complaints about the second Thor movie, in that everything that came out of Kat Denning's mouth was a punchline.

• Like 2