The Internet Guide to Chinese Wire-Fu and Fantasy

DrNgor

Okay, here's a compilation of reviews from around the internet (with an emphasis on old Kung Fu Cinema reviews) of wire-fu fantasies and period pieces made from 1987 (the year A Chinese Ghost Story came out) to 2000 (when Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon came out). There are probably a lot of obscure Taiwanese and PRC films missing from this one so far, so feel free to let me know what's missing.

This one is more or less completed, so download and have fun!

The Internet Guide to Wire-Fu and Fantasy.pdf

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
17 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Okay, here's a compilation of reviews from around the internet (with an emphasis on old Kung Fu Cinema reviews) of wire-fu fantasies and period pieces made from 1987 (the year A Chinese Ghost Story came out) to 2000 (when Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon came out). There are probably a lot of obscure Taiwanese and PRC films missing from this one so far, so feel free to let me know what's missing.

This one is more or less completed, so download and have fun!

The Internet Guide to Wire-Fu and Fantasy.pdf

I miss the early days of internet fandom, where there seemed to be so many more Asian film site's. Then everyone began switiching from their own website, to MySpace or Facebook.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

I miss the early days of internet fandom, where there seemed to be so many more Asian film site's. Then everyone began switiching from their own website, to MySpace or Facebook.

The Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive was an important tool for this, especially now that I can access the old Kung Fu Cinema site.

To be honest, I think the only important Asian film site that I didn't consult was the now-defunct Kung Fu Cult Cinema.

And for the record, users here that have reviews in this particular volume are:

@ShaOW!linDude, @One Armed Boxer, @KenHashibe, @Drunken Monk, and myself.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

I remember when I started my original REAL website back on Christmas Eve 2004, 'shaolinchamber.com', there was a point where I was spending a good 10-12 hours a day doing 1 movie review per day. It took so long because of everything I included in the reviews, screencaps, video clips, audio clips, and more. This was prior to YouTube even existing yet. Those were the days. 

6 minutes ago, SMK said:

I remember when I started my original REAL website back on Christmas Eve 2004, 'shaolinchamber.com', there was a point where I was spending a good 10-12 hours a day doing 1 movie review per day. It took so long because of everything I included in the reviews, screencaps, video clips, audio clips, and more. This was prior to YouTube even existing yet. Those were the days. 

That was you? I loved that site! I still have several of your old clips on my computer! Whenever I need to watch the greatness of the finale of Shaolin Raiders of Death or Dragon Fight, they're right there!

DragonClaws
13 hours ago, DrNgor said:

And for the record, users here that have reviews in this particular volume are:

@ShaOW!linDude, @One Armed Boxer, @KenHashibe, @Drunken Monk, and myself.

With you using older reviews from around the web, wont there be quite a lot of different author's to list?.

13 hours ago, SMK said:

The days when you spend that much time on a review, only for videos to not encrypt properly. There were a lot of very individual looking sites back then too.

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

With you using older reviews from around the web, wont there be quite a lot of different author's to list?.

Well, I'm not going to use the Kung Fu Fandom thread to do an entire bibliography. You just need to download the book and the author is named at the end of each review. I was just giving a heads up to *members of the KFF* that something they wrote made it to the compilation.

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Well, I'm not going to use the Kung Fu Fandom thread to do an entire bibliography. You just need to download the book and the author is named at the end of each review. I was just giving a heads up to *members of the KFF* that something they wrote made it to the compilation.

Cool bean's @DrNgor, and thanks for clearing that up for me.

Archived