Steel Rain 2: Summit (2020)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Joining Jung with actor Kwak Do-Won, Steel Rain sees a North Korean soldier forced to pair up with a South Korean diplomat when a coup in the North ensues a nefarious doomsday plot. As of this week, it appears a sequel, tentatively titled Steel Rain 2: Summit, is in development with a storied focus on the recent geopolitical climate between both Koreas and the U.S.

Source- https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/steel-rain-2-jung-woo-sung-eyes-return-for-espionage-action-thriller-sequel/

Steel Rain(2017)

180613-axe-steel-rain-hero_uqvpiv

• Like 3

Oh man... I wasn't a big fan of the first "Steel Rain" but this, I don't know where to begin. Trump haters are gonna have a hoot and a holler!

Using the geopolitical and historical tension of the korean peninsula, this ends up being an overly long movie (ab)using propaganda and nationalism.

It takes a wooping 90 minutes for something interesting to happen. Up to this point is just a lot of talk and use of stereotype to portray the "devils" including China, Japan and the US. Especially the latter gets it's fair share. US President Smoot (WTF!?) is a clear mockery of President Trump, including an awful fart joke, as well as some cringeworthy dialogue. Generally the portrayal of the US is more satire than anything else.

In the second half the movie suddenly shifts its full attention to submarine warfare, which truth be told made it at least bearable.

It may come as no surprise that Steel Rain 2 topped the boxoffice in Korea even dethroning Peninsula. Whilst I'm aware this is still to be considered entertainment a more sober approach to this obvious sensitive topic would be welcome.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, laagi said:

US President Smoot (WTF!?)

Great name choice.  There was an American Football player Fred Smoot who loved smack talk.  One thing I remember him saying: "7/10th of this world is covered by water, the rest is covered by Smoot."  If this Smoot says this in the movie, then it will immediately become my favorite movie of all time.     

Please tell me he says this...

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 8/25/2020 at 5:45 AM, laagi said:

Whilst I'm aware this is still to be considered entertainment a more sober approach to this obvious sensitive topic would be welcome.

We felt quite differently about this one, as I considered the sequel to be superior to the original in almost every way, albeit for very different reasons than most would expect. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/steel-rain-2-summit-2020-review-ii-sequel/

• Like 1