The Old Guard (2020) - Charlize Theron, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Veronica Ngo

AlbertV

Netflix and Skydance Productions are teaming up to adapt the graphic novel series The Old Guard, which will be directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood.

"Based on Greg Rucka’s graphic novel series, the story follows a small covert group of immortal mercenaries who must fight to keep their team together when they discover the existence of a new immortal and their extraordinary abilities are exposed."

The film will star Charlize Theron, Kiki Layne, Marwan Kenzari, Matthias Schoenarts, Luca Marinelli, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Harry Melling, and Veronica Ngo.

Shooting has just begun in London.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/ejiofor-melling-ngo-join-netflixs-old-guard/

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I watched this one this evening and it’s a dud. There’s some great hand-to-hand stuff but not nearly enough of it. 
Unfortunately, every other aspect of the film is dull: from the plot to the performances.

• Like 2

I'm hearing a lot of positive things online and how it's on point with the comic. A few people have been saying it would have been better as a series than a film.

• Like 2

I'm with @Drunken Monk it's not a very good movie. I'd probably even go as far as saying it's actually pretty bad. I can't compare it to the comic since I've never read it.

For a 2 hours vehicle which apparently cost $70 Million it falls flat in almost every department. The action is mostly below average with the exception of a short one on one fight scene at the very end. Charlize Theron (no surprise) is the stand out but that doesn't really say much either. The plot... think I missed that one :coveredlaugh The main villain is more of a bad joke. Also the whole thing just unfolds like a very poor scavenger hunt.

I might be too harsh on this one or maybe just couldn't connect enough but for me it's a definitive miss! You may want to give it a try but I can't recommend it.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, this was...this was...this was...really nothing special.

Never read the comic, and the source material may be better.

This was like Highlander meets John Wick...sort of.

I don't remember recognizing any of the choreography/stunt people that were named in the credits.

The action is hit and miss; sometimes it looks good, others it's a hot edited mess.

But the #1 problem with this is maybe a whopping 5 minutes of screen time of Veronica Ngo. Lame.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 3:59 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

But the #1 problem with this is maybe a whopping 5 minutes of screen time of Veronica Ngo. Lame.

Lame indeed. That ending hints she might be returning in the sequel though. If that ever happens, it could mean more screen time for Ngo. As for the movie itself, it's a rather enjoyable watch, but instantly forgettable.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
On 12/17/2020 at 6:21 AM, weier78 said:

I haven't seen this movie yet, but with the lack of love shown above I can delay watching for another 6 months :laluot_06:

6 months, 6 years, 6 decades. Player's choice. You've got a lot of delaying options.

• Like 3