Hard boiled HK Blu-ray

mark187

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I will definitely be picking this up. I've wanted a good Blu Ray of this film for forever. 

Rodolphe Dux

I can’t see an improvement over the dragon dynasty version. I will get it for the True Hd 24/96 audio track, that can’t be anything but a delight, the sound effects in hard boiled are incredible.

Drunken Monk
27 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

I can’t see an improvement over the dragon dynasty version. I will get it for the True Hd 24/96 audio track, that can’t be anything but a delight, the sound effects in hard boiled are incredible.

I'd read the Dragon Dynasty Blu Ray was shitty. Or was that The Killer?

Rodolphe Dux

It was upscale shit indeed, so it seems to be the same master on this one I’m afraid. But I only read true-hd, if it’s a new sound remastering, that can be cool, but it’s not very likely. Let’s hope the « remaster » is a real one this time.

It's being distributed by CN Entertainment... Known for only featuring enhanced 5.1 Dolby Digital audio tracks. I'm ok with them doing this with releases of Hong Kong movies made between the late 90s and onwards. But for older titles, I'd go with IVL and Panorama.

Get the HKR version of the movie instead. It's the best treatment the movie has received to date.

2 hours ago, DiP said:

It's being distributed by CN Entertainment... Known for only featuring enhanced 5.1 Dolby Digital audio tracks. I'm ok with them doing this with releases of Hong Kong movies made between the late 90s and onwards. But for older titles, I'd go with IVL and Panorama.

Get the HKR version of the movie instead. It's the best treatment the movie has received to date.

So from your experience have they added new sound effects (like gunshots or knive/fist strikes)?? Somebody on the Full Contact thread claimed that Mei Ah only works with the original audio for their HD remasters but I’m skeptical. the Blu-ray has the Mei Ah logo on it as well as the CN one 

I remember watching their bluray release of God of Gamblers and was overly impressed with the video quality (being genuine HD, of course) while the audio tracks, which were standard Cantonese and Mandarin 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, left me quite disappointed in that they sounded "hollow".

Haven't watched their releases of Wild SearchUndeclared War and Full Contact but none of them have the original audio tracks so I think they sound the same with their respective 5.1 Dolby TrueHD tracks.

I bought Undeclared War and watched it recently but I’d only seen the full film once before and it was a rental so I don’t remember if it was original Mei Ah dvd or the remastered. Something like Hard Boiled though, that I’ve seen countless times over the years, it’ll be annoying if the audio sounds different because I’m used to hearing the 2.0 original mono so any tinkering would be noticeable 

Rodolphe Dux
9 hours ago, DiP said:

For sure, here’s the details from From Yes asia. & dddhouse

184A9EB6-2BE2-481B-B157-899F28591A23.jpeg

1E51DF66-0A04-4B98-AC02-A43A4C05A9C2.jpeg

The Japanese blu-ray of Hard Boiled has quite a good video transfer, makes me wonder if they've used that for this release.

Archived