Top 10 best Shaw Brothers kung fu movies of all time vs. Top 10 best non-SB kung fu flicks of all time

IrWan

Name your top 10 fave kung fu flicks from SB of any era...compare em against 10 NON-Shaw Bros., including those from other countries of any period...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have come to conclusing it`s impossible to name 10 fav Shaw flicks. There is too wide selection and sometimes when revisit movie which have not seen several years it turns out to be super-superb and one best Shaws...just a few absolute favorites can name ( golden swallow, masked avengers, shaolin temple and 5 shaolin masters). Must have/recommendation lists are much easier...

Of non-Shaw it would look like in no particular order;

- secret rivals 2

- snake in eagles shadow

- incredible kung fu mission

- last hurrah for chivalry

- eagles claw

- iron monkey ( chen kuan tai )

- dance of drunken mantis

- snuff bottle connection

- one armed boxer

- broken oath

"indie list" was actually very easy. Haven`t seen that many as don`t do "tubewatching" and likely there are dozens which don`t have proper official release(or I have missed it..)

In no particular order Shaw Brothers (taken from another thread)

1.  Avenging Eagle

2. 36th Chamber of Shaolin

3. Five Venoms

4. King Boxer

5. Shaolin Temple (1976)

6. Shaolin Mantis

7. Boxer from Shantung

8. Blood Brothers

9. The Duel

10. The Master

Non Shaw Brothers:

1.  Last Hurrah for Chivalry (1979)

2. Seven Grand Masters (1978)

3. The Young Dragons (1974)

4. Iron Monkey (1977)

5. The Prodigal Son (1981) Although Yuen Biao's martial arts skills get better in the mid 80s

6. The Way of The Dragon (aka Return of The Dragon) (1972)

7. Magnificent Butcher (1979)

8. Warriors Two (1978)

9. Duel to The Death (1983)

10. Fist of Legend (1994)

Iron_Leopard
On 6/22/2019 at 5:23 AM, Tex Killer said:

Have come to conclusing it`s impossible to name 10 fav Shaw flicks. There is too wide selection and sometimes when revisit movie which have not seen several years it turns out to be super-superb and one best Shaws...just a few absolute favorites can name ( golden swallow, masked avengers, shaolin temple and 5 shaolin masters). Must have/recommendation lists are much easier...

Of non-Shaw it would look like in no particular order;

- secret rivals 2

- snake in eagles shadow

- incredible kung fu mission

- last hurrah for chivalry

- eagles claw

- iron monkey ( chen kuan tai )

- dance of drunken mantis

- snuff bottle connection

- one armed boxer

- broken oath

"indie list" was actually very easy. Haven`t seen that many as don`t do "tubewatching" and likely there are dozens which don`t have proper official release(or I have missed it..)

Agreed. There is just no way I could narrow down to ten movies from Shaw Brothers. I cant even narrow down Chang Chehs top 10 movies.

Maybe one day I'll be able to but not right now.

According to the thread's title, I had understood that it was 10 kung fu Shaws' against 10 non kung fu Shaws' movies...

17 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

According to the thread's title, I had understood that it was 10 kung fu Shaws' against 10 non kung fu Shaws' movies...

I think the latter part is non-Shaw Brothers kung fu films.  So, kung fu movies not produced by Shaw studio.

Chu Liu Hsiang

Ah pity, I have not seen that many non kung fu/ wuxia Shaw movies yet but really enjoyed most of them!

Archived