Bamboo, Nunchucks & Dirty Footprints

Alan C

6 minutes ago, leon00 said:

The Log scene was trimmed from the original GAME footage. It's in the GAME reel which HK actor/director Stephen Au Kam-Tong discovered it around 2006. So, it wasn't lost. Why it was not release? I guess a lot have to do with the copyright the issue with the Estate.

There's been no proof whatsoever that he has it. 

Let's say he does have it (which I doubt) and he is just keeping it for himself then it may as well be lost as the fans will never get to see it anyway.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fabhui said:

Let's say he does have it (which I doubt) and he is just keeping it for himself then it may as well be lost as the fans will never get to see it anyway.

It's lost to the public for now, but may just be in the hands of a private collector like him.

• Like 1

There's an interview with Alan C in the latest BL Review magazine, he mentions he's working on an upgraded version of the Redux and will have Chris Kent (who supplied Bruce's war cries for the 78 version) on board.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, saltysam said:

There's an interview with Alan C in the latest BL Review magazine, he mentions he's working on an upgraded version of the Redux and will have Chris Kent (who supplied Bruce's war cries for the 78 version) on board.

Thats right, he also mentioned this 2.0 version at the end of the Daisuke Beppu YouTube interview.

I posted the video interview in this thread and other's, back in November.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 11:47 AM, DragonClaws said:

Thats right, he also mentioned this 2.0 version at the end of the Daisuke Beppu YouTube interview.

I posted the video interview in this thread and other's, back in November.

Hmm, that will be interesting...

• Like 2

On 12/19/2020 at 9:44 PM, saltysam said:

Does anyone know why specifically Chris Kent? Why not a professional voice actor that can do an accurate impression of Bruce's voice and war cries?

I think most of us are agreed that Chris doesnt sound like Bruce, so I dont really understand this? 

Maybe hes planning to attach this footage to the 78 cut, a lot like Game of Death Integral, and wants Chris' voice for continuity reasons? 

Plus wont Chris' voice sound older because its been over 40 years, so it wont match anyway? 

I wish him luck on this but this decision seems to create it's own myriad of problems🤔

Edited by Josh Baker
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

I think most of us are agreed that Chris doesnt sound like Bruce, so I dont really understand this? 

When I first watched the 78 version, I had no idea it was Chris Kent who had dubbed the war cries. Until I learned about it online year's later. He did a great job in my opinion.

• Like 2

Unless there's unseen footage to be seen then I don't understand the need for a redux; or a redux of the redux. I've said it before, but, what we want is more BL footage not less. And, it still amazes me that people are still excited about the Redux since it was less footage. I remember how I felt when the "lost" Lee cut first appeared for GOD. It was extremely exciting to see unseen footage of Bruce. And, it was good stuff too. Since Bruce is gone and there will never be a completed GOD, just show us the footage. I don't really care about pacing, etc. Had Bruce lived, it's possible the footage would have been trimmed or different shots, re-shoots, etc. We shall never know. So, since anyone of us can re-edit the footage how we want, there's no point to Redux.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, reason108 said:

Unless there's unseen footage to be seen then I don't understand the need for a redux; or a redux of the redux. I've said it before, but, what we want is more BL footage not less. And, it still amazes me that people are still excited about the Redux since it was less footage. I remember how I felt when the "lost" Lee cut first appeared for GOD. It was extremely exciting to see unseen footage of Bruce. And, it was good stuff too. Since Bruce is gone and there will never be a completed GOD, just show us the footage. I don't really care about pacing, etc. Had Bruce lived, it's possible the footage would have been trimmed or different shots, re-shoots, etc. We shall never know. So, since anyone of us can re-edit the footage how we want, there's no point to Redux.

Yeah who needs pacing and storytelling.. No need for Artport and Warriors Journey either, yes? Let's Just look at the 90 minute dailies, with no sound or music. Good? 🙄

Edited by CliveReston
  • Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

I'm sick of this Game of Death malarkey. I've been a fan of Lee's since January 1974 (which gives you some idea how old I am) and yes, at one time this film WAS a mystery but since we saw it all 20 yrs ago it's become a stone around some of your necks. 

Here's my honest (controversial) opinion : The footage is rough, most of the choreography is sloppy, Lee is posing and showboating, speaking "hip" dialogue that was out-of-date even then. They may have spoke like that in L.A. but HK? Forget it. This was a vanity project with a capital V that he started and couldn't figure out. They consensus then was this was going to be his best film. I say bollocks. The plot had been done to death (kidnapping- hero having to do something to win back the kidnapped). It looks like a widescreen "home movie" and it's no wonder Robert Clouse  didn't want to use a lot of it in 78.

I've not seen Redux (Region B territory and not made of money) but anything that improves on the pacing, cuts out the embarrassing stuff and adds John Barry's good score has to be an improvement on Warrior's Journey or Artport. In fact my favourite is and has always been the nice quick edit by Alan Patillo….until something better comes along...Redux.2?

Edited by shukocarl1441996347
  • Like 5

On 12/27/2020 at 8:29 AM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Here's my honest (controversial) opinion : The footage is rough, most of the choreography is sloppy, Lee is posing and showboating, speaking "hip" dialogue that was out-of-date even then. They may have spoke like that in L.A. but HK? Forget it.

Some fans have claimed it was just rehearsal footage?, whats your opinion on this theory?.

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Some fans have claimed it was just rehearsal footage?, whats your opinion on this theory?.

I don't think it's rehearsal footage. I think it really was filmed for the project. I just think it wasn't  thought through. We're led to believe that Way of the Dragon had a huge amount of planning before the cameras even rolled, and it shows. Instead of kicking his heels after that he grabbed the footage in a haphazard way.  Calling two friends over to HK to make  fight scenes and then some footage with the third fighter (Ji Han Jae) because he was available does not strike me as a well planned production.

Then we have James Tien and Chieh Yuan's costumes. Did Lee tell Tien to just show up in what you have on ("don't forget your tennis pumps James!") and Yuan to gab his gi and get to the studio. Lee had already told Taky Kimura to bring his old blue Gung fu suit for the unshot scene. Now Inosanto  said he brought his costume with him with the red headband. Jabbar had his UCLA shorts on with some crazy robe/shirt that had probably been made for him by the wardrobe dept...and it looks to be honest...rubbish. He should have gone bare chested like in all the publicity stills. Ji's golden trimmed gi and belt looks really good and some thought had gone into that costume. Now we have the (in)famous yellow catsuit/trainers. Was it to make Lee stand out from the rest of the cast? Obviously. It's become so recognisable now as probably his most famous outfit and it does look good if self-indulgent. He was supposed to be saying to the audience "look at me, the NEW groovy god of free-form martial arts". Would they have figured that out? I doubt it very much if the film had been released back in '73. I think it might have even become his first flop?...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Calling two friends over to HK to make  fight scenes and then some footage with the third fighter (Ji Han Jae) because he was available does not strike me as a well planned production.

You made some solid points in your post @shukocarl1441996347

I think Bruce Lee had put more thought into than people realize. With G.O.D we have very little to go on even now. He went to Korean to take pictures of the possible locations he wanted to use. That shows, he was giving it more thought. Most of us on the forum know the haphazard way Hong Kong films were made. I think Bruce Lee was attempting to put more effort into his films. Look how he planned out the finale in Way of the Dragon, and how long he spent shooting it. Many Hong Kong films were shot within a week.

Then we have James Tien and Chieh Yuan's costumes. Did Lee tell Tien to just show up in what you have on ("don't forget your tennis pumps James!") and Yuan to gab his gi and get to the studio.

The costumes might have made more sense in the context of a finished film, rather than a semi completed one.

Now we have the (in)famous yellow catsuit/trainers. Was it to make Lee stand out from the rest of the cast? Obviously. It's become so recognisable now as probably his most famous outfit and it does look good if self-indulgent. He was supposed to be saying to the audience "look at me, the NEW groovy god of free-form martial arts". Would they have figured that out? I doubt it very much if the film had been released back in '73. I think it might have even become his first flop?...

Remember that the original outfit was all black with a yellow stripe. They only changed it so he could use the visual of Kareems massive foot covering his upper body. I don't think the jumpsuit had any big hidden meanings?. Other than it matched up with his character's Yellow Faced Tiger nickname.

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

You made some solid points in your post @shukocarl1441996347

I think Bruce Lee had put more thought into than people realize. With G.O.D we have very little to go on even now. He went to Korean to take pictures of the possible locations he wanted to use. That shows, he was giving it more thought. Most of us on the forum know the haphazard way Hong Kong films were made. I think Bruce Lee was attempting to put more effort into his films. Look how he planned out the finale in Way of the Dragon, and how long he spent shooting it. Many Hong Kong films were shot within a week.

The costumes might have made more sense in the context of a finished film, rather than a semi completed one.

Remember that the original outfit was all black with a yellow stripe. They only changed it so he could use the visual of Kareems massive foot covering his upper body. I don't think the jumpsuit had any big hidden meanings?. Other than it matched up with his character's Yellow Faced Tiger nickname.

The catsuit was supposed to represent that he wasn't tied to ANY traditional style or method - even Linda Lee (god that woman can talk) has confirmed this - that he was free of all styles and therefore had no uniform (or form?). As a statement that sounds good but  unless it was explained on-screen somehow, its pretty vague. Anyhow I hope ther'es going to be some sort of way I can get to  eventually see Redux 2.0 when it's finished...it's got me intrigued. All power to Alan Cavan's elbow! ;-)

• Like 2