VCI starts Martial Arts blu ray collection

saltysam

Killer Meteor
On 10/26/2019 at 5:32 AM, Yihetuan said:

My friend bought this blu ray and invited me over to watch it. I haven't seen this in years but where there always this many frame cuts? Otherwise, it was a nice looking & sounding print. My friend let me borrow it, so I'll give it a re-watch with the audio commentary from Michael Worth.

It's a very good presentation of a very mediocre film - I really hate that Ding-Dong character!

My only beef - it could do with optional new subtitles. Most of the originals are pretty decent for their type, but occasionally are hard to read, and the opening text scroll was only written in Chinese. As 88 Films and Eureka have done, maybe VCI could look at getting fan help with new subs.

• Like 1

Again, I wrote a few months ago that I would be happy to help out with subs but didn't get a reply.

I'm a native English speaker and fluent in Mandarin Chinese and helped out with a few titles before for fans. Anyone knows who to contact?

Michael

• Like 3

Not VCI but i just got the 4k UHD of Suspiria from Synapse and in the coming soon for 2020 catalogue they mention The Dragon Lives & Steel Fisted Dragon as coming.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 10/30/2019 at 3:09 AM, gskmeva said:
56 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Not VCI but i just got the 4k UHD of Suspiria from Synapse and in the coming soon for 2020 catalogue they mention The Dragon Lives & Steel Fisted Dragon as coming.

Don't forget CROCCODILE!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

For those who bought Leg Fighters on bluray, how was it? 

I'm not a technical spec guy but I thought it looked stunning for an old school martial arts movie. The picture was beautiful. Fun film too. A little too much goofy comedy for my liking but I'm happy to have it in my collection.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, saltysam said:

Again not VCI but Dark Force have announced a release of what they claim is a restored version of Chinese Hercules early next tear.

Fantastic news, can you tell me any more details regarding this release?.

Hat's off to who-ever decided to put out a restored version of this classic Bolo Yeung movie.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Fantastic news, can you tell me any more details regarding this release?.

Hat's off to who-ever decided to put out a restored version of this classic Bolo Yeung movie.

They've literally announced it and claimed it's restored and will be out early 2020. Also mentioned there will be a cool bonus extra on there as well. Will post more info when i come across it 😀

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 11/26/2019 at 1:30 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

For those who bought Leg Fighters on bluray, how was it? 

Very good transfer, poor film.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2019 at 6:27 AM, saltysam said:

Again not VCI but Dark Force have announced a release of what they claim is a restored version of Chinese Hercules early next tear.

The trailer is 90% Bolo punching the shit out of people. I may have to pick this one up...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The trailer is 90% Bolo punching the shit out of people. I may have to pick this one up...

Those clips are mostly taken from the finale, but it'snot an entirely a fight fest. At least by the time the plot moves into the middle section. Chan Wai-Man hero vows never to fight anyone again, so spend a lot of the runtime fighting with his own anger/temper. In temrs of story its very similar to the Big Boss, but set in a small coastal dock. Rather than an ice factory in Pak Chong Thailand. I'm not trying to put your off purchasing this movie, but the trailer is very mis-leading. It's was purely cashing on on Bolo appearance in ETD just months before. That said, if you like the Basher style of choreogrpahy. The big brawl at the end, is certainly an epic one.

I currently have the RareScope DVD release, which I did a review of many moons ago.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Those clips are mostly taken from the finale, but it'snot an entirely a fight fest. At least by the time the plot moves into the middle section. Chan Wai-Man hero vows never to fight anyone again, so spend a lot of the runtime fighting with his own anger/temper. In temrs of story its very similar to the Big Boss, but set in a small coastal dock. Rather than an ice factory in Pak Chong Thailand. I'm not trying to put your off purchasing this movie, but the trailer is very mis-leading. It's was purely cashing on on Bolo appearance in ETD just months before. That said, if you like the Basher style of choreogrpahy. The big brawl at the end, is certainly an epic one.

I currently have the RareScope DVD release, which I did a review of many moons ago.

I'm distinctly anti-basher so I may not love this one. Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm distinctly anti-basher so I may not love this one.

If you don't like that style, it's best you give it a miss. That said it's a must see for fans of Bolo Yeung or Chain Wai-Man. Top Asian actor Fong Yau is also on top creepy villianous form, letting Bolo character crate all the carnage as he sit back and looks on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Jackie Chan is in it too, for a micro second!

Thats right, it one of only two movies where he shared the cast with Bolo Yeung. The other ne being My Lucky Star's(1985), where Bolo get's a cameo role.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
18 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Very good transfer, poor film.

It had to be the comedy that brought the film down I'm guessing? That's understandable, it can be cringey at times. 

• Like 2

On 11/25/2019 at 2:09 PM, saltysam said:

I saw a post on their facebook page dating from january 2018 annoucing The Dragon Lives & Steel Fisted Dragon as coming out soon… so don't expect it until 2025 I guess :)

https://www.facebook.com/synapsefilms/posts/happy-new-year-from-synapse-filmsthanks-to-all-who-supported-us-throughout-2017-/1888841267810536/

• Like 2