VCI starts Martial Arts blu ray collection

saltysam

The film also had one of the best intro sequences IMO. I later learned that one of the two brother fighters was Wong Yiu, who along with Peng Kang, was one of the first members of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team. 

• Like 5

OpiumKungFuCracker
14 hours ago, kevenzz said:

nice price… I have no idea if this movie is rare or wanted or whatever… I don't even know what this film is about :P

I just know I wanted some spaghetti western on vhs last year for some fandub project and those were selling for 100 euro each.

yep, I bought a bunch of spaghetti western tapes from Israel awhile back and the sombitch got damaged from the rain during transport. luckily, the tape still plays but the clamshell is all fucked. I'm trying just to sell the tape itself if anyone is interested?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thekfc said:

He use both hands & legs and his ground kicking was excellent in the movie.

Thx, I had feeling had forgotten something important about movie but could not locate it. Groundkicks was villains game indeed.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

Optional subtitles would be handy as the ones on these old theatrical prints can sometimes be hard to read and poor English.

• Like 2

Iron Head Rat
On 6/13/2019 at 2:41 PM, thekfc said:

It is a good film.

Yep, the comedy was irritating - that is the main thing that I didn't like about the movie and I could usually stand comedy. 

The main villain (Kang Peng) has a dual role (he also played the villain younger brother at the beginning of the movie). He use both hands & legs and his ground kicking was excellent in the movie.

Exactly, good old school movie.. Kang peng indeed has great ground kicking in this not to mention Hsia Kuang Li's very acrobatic & flexible kicking. Stylish too.

I wonder how people compare Hsia's kicks to say Freddie Wong's aunt in Drunken Master(Linda Lin)

• Like 4

I support any label that supports our love for these movies, especially here in the States. Germany gets the awesome media books and the UK has 88 Films and Eureka Region B goodness. The US needs similar labels. (I need a region free player asap Lol!!!) I hope the Pearl collection is amazing and I will fully support and purchase every last one of them. Hopefully they sell well and we get many Independant kung fu classics on Blu-ray. Thumbs up to Michael Worth and anyone else who is putting this collection together. I hope the announcement of future classics will be - EAGLES CLAW, SECRET RIVALS, A FIST FULL OF TALONS, SHAOLIN VS LAMA, CALL ME DRAGON, BUDDHA ASSASSINATOR, 7 STEPS OF KUNG FU. My list would go on forever. Come on October!!!!!

• Like 4

Secret Rivals 1 and 2 already have great dvds by Soulblade featuring 35mm print.

I agree about the others :) I checked eBay for some kung fu on 35mm and they cost like $500-$1000 per film…. and that's not counting the scanning price and restoration price...

I would like to do some myself but it's too expensive for one person.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

There are old theatrical prints for MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING and SHAOLIN VS LAMA out there (they turn up at events sometimes) which would be top of my list.

• Like 7

AlexanderFu
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, Drunken Monk said:

This is exciting news. I'm not sure about that cover but a 2K restoration sounds nice. I'm not sure I've even seen this film. Is it worth picking up?

Hell yes, it's worth picking up!

One of the 1st Tan Tao-liang movies I ever saw, have since seen almost all, always like whatever he is in.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU
10 hours ago, Jay Stone said:

I need this. Every version I’ve ever seen looked like garbage

Yes, some of the latest remasters make some previously unwatchable movies by today's standards a different movie.

• Like 5

Not a VCI release but Dark Force are releasing a "drive-in" double feature in August,  (blu-ray) one the films is Dragon Vs Needles Of Death (aka Needle Avenger) i have the Code Red DVD which is nice but i may upgrade.Unfortunately Dark Force sell direct and their website is rarely open (there's a crazy thread all about them on BD.com)

• Like 5

TheKungFuRobber
On 10/5/2019 at 10:51 AM, saltysam said:

Caps from the blu ray

LEG1.png

LEG10.png

LEG2.png

LEG3.png

LEG4.png

LEG5.png

LEG6.png

LEG7.png

LEG8.png

LEG9.png

Looks damn amazing if you ask me. Here's hoping they include optional removable subtitles with borders to obscure the hardsubs.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
4 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Looks damn amazing if you ask me. Here's hoping they include optional removable subtitles with borders to obscure the hardsubs.

That's how it looked in theaters. There's something to be said sometimes with these old school flicks, see them like they were in the cinemas. Not always, but it's nice to have some variety.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

That's how it looked in theaters. There's something to be said sometimes with these old school flicks, see them like they were in the cinemas. Not always, but it's nice to have some variety.

True, but in some cases (especially CHOI LEE FUT KUNG FU), the subtitles were barely there!

I'm not saying hide the originals, just provide new subs as an alternative.

I'll buy it either way, I'm weak!

• Like 5

the subtitles are burnt in and there's no option to mask them. For the most part they are clear and legible, except when against a light background. didn't bother me, i enjoyed the experience, good movie!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, saltysam said:

the subtitles are burnt in and there's no option to mask them. For the most part they are clear and legible, except when against a light background. didn't bother me, i enjoyed the experience, good movie!

I don't have the fund's to get this at the moment, but it's a definite future purchase.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

I wouldn''t want to mask them, they are what they are.

• Like 3