Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (USA, 1982)

chazgower01

chazgower01

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (USA, 1982) Amazon Prime 3/5

As a fan of crime noir and of Steve Martin, I've always loved this movie's dialogue. It bombed hugely at the box office... this wasn't 'Wild and Crazy' Steve Martin, but rather leading man Steve Martin delivering smart ass dialogue in a monotone unemotional voice... "I hadn't seen a body like that since I solved the Case of the Missing Girl with the Big Tits." Sort of how I'm NOT a huge fan of Jim Carrey's over the top Ace Ventura stuff, but LOVE the Cable Guy.

The big deal with this flick is that they incorporate old movie footage into the story... so Martin actually seems to be interacting with Cary Grant, Alan Ladd, Ava Gardner, Barbara Stanwyck, etc., while trying to solve the sexy-as-hell Rachel Ward's bizarre case. The story isn't great... it's convoluted as hell... it's a device to show off the way they incorporate those scenes into it. But the dialogue is smart and funny. Directed and written by Carl Reiner (with Steve Martin), I can't really rate it any higher than a 3 (I've rewatched it PLENTY of times), because as a movie, it's actually pretty weak, but as a movie with funny dialogue throughout it's a winner. 

deadmenplaid.jpg

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived