Mackenna's Gold (USA, 1969)

chazgower01

chazgower01

Mackenna's Gold (USA, 1969) dvd 2.5/5

I'm not a huge fan of the Western genre, though it certainly has its share of great movies... so I figured any Western with Gregory Peck, Telly Savalas, Lee J. Cobb, Julie Newmar, Omar Sharif, etc., HAD to be halfway decent.

Not really. Peck sleep walks through this, a lot of the stars are in very small roles, and considering this came out the same year as 'The Wild Bunch', it just looks cheap and tame. It DOES have a few things going for it though. The scenery is amazing, Omar Sherif is unintentionally funny as the bad guy who kidnaps Peck to show him where the buried treasure is ("I'll never understand you Gringo's!"), and Julie Newmar has a peek-a-boo nude scene as an Indian girl (previously involved with Peck's character) who goes swimming in the buff. (She's quoted as saying that at the last minute she whipped off her loin cloth and really did do the scene fully nude).

Older school fans (I'm a 70's kid) of the genre may like it better than me, as it'll remind them of the Hollywood glory days, but Peck's bland performance throughout really is distracting.

s-l300.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.08.21 AM.png

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived