Game of Death - Fan Cuts

DT-Nice1988

DT-Nice1988

I' ve been searching some years for fan cuts from "Game of Death". I know, they were uploaded at youtube years ago. I would really like to watch them. 

Titles I know: Game of Death - Alternate, Game of Death 2.5, Game of Death - Final Cut 

Can Anybody help me? 

• Like 1

The best one is yet to come. If your in the NY area next month, you don't want to miss this.

Details in a few days.

Edited by Alan C
  • Like 3

Haven't watched these. The only fan version I have is integral and I didn't like it too much.

I would like to see some fan reconstructions of the original Hong Kong cinema release. I have all the source material to make it possible but not the editing software.

• Like 1

DT-Nice1988

I like shotcut, its for free. I created a german cut based on the integral one. But I'm not happy with it at all. 

I would like to see this fan cuts, that created a new story. Therefore the Editors mixed up footage of Game of Death 1, Game of Death 2 and Enter The Dragon. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Alan C said:

The best one is yet to come. If your in the NY area next month, you wont want to miss this.

Details in a few days.

There’s no way I can be in NY but I’m intrigued 🤔

• Like 1

DragonClaws
On 6/5/2019 at 2:46 PM, DT-Nice1988 said:

Titles I know: Game of Death - Alternate, Game of Death 2.5, Game of Death - Final Cut 

Fellow forum member @makone, created a really good alternative cut of G.O.D. His video was removed from YouTube, along with other fan editions.

• Like 1

Hi, I have all three I think, contact me and we will work something out.

Sorry for not getting back to you before , personal reasons.

• Like 1

On the eve of the 46th anniversary of Bruce Lee's passing, Alan Canvan will premiere a new edit of Lee's Game of Death (Running Time 39:05), a posthumously released unfinished film. Visualized by Canvan, the new cut reframes Lee's famous project by combining John Barry's riveting film score with Lee's extended raw footage to reveal the hidden symbolism and themes within the narrative of Game of Death. The result is a powerful and resonant story that explores classical mythology and Jungian psychology, honoring the artistry of both Bruce Lee and John Barry. After the screening, Canvan will be joined by author Matthew Polly (Bruce Lee: A Life) for a discussion on Game of Death, followed by Q&A with the audience.

Bamboo,Nunchucks.jpg

• Like 3

DT-Nice1988

I saw the fan cut, called "Game of Death 2.5".

But I don't like it.

Footage from "Game of Death" (1978), "Game of Death 2", "Enter the Dragon", a scene from "Fist of Fury, and even Footage of Bruce Le's" Enter the Game of Death" were combined to create a different direction of the "Game of Death" 78 Story. But the new story has many plot holes. 

The Story: Billy Lo is a famous Filmstar, but threatening by Dr. Land and his men. They force him to sign a new protection contract. Billy decline it and decide to go underground. He met his friend, a great Fighter, Chin Ku and the Shaolin Abt. He does for the shaolin abt a favor. He writes a letter for his younger brother Bobby, who got on the wrong way. After that, Chin Ku is killed. At the funeral of Chin Ku, he surprise his murders and kill them. Billy wants to know the reason, why Ku have to die. Chin Ku's stepdaughter gives him a mysterious film on Zelluloid. Billy contact Ann and tells her she has to go underground also. After he finished a movie, he leaves again. Billy gets on contact with an interpol guy. They watch together the Zelluloid film, which contains footage of an island and two guards. Billy decide to work with the interpol. Now he starts to revenge Chin Ku's Death. Therefore he kill Carl Miller, a man of Dr. Land, after a Martial Art Tournament. So The man of Dr. Land kidnap  Billy's girlfriend Ann. After Billy rescued her, he send a message to the interpol guy about his actions and goes to the "Death Tower". He defeats all guards and men of Dr. Land, but came to late for Dr. Land. He already kills himself. 

The Story isn't that bad. But there are scene's, which don't help the story or even gives up more questions. Like the Talk about Billys Brother Bobby with the shaolin abt. There is no connection to the main plot (Footage from "Game of Death 2").The scene, in which Billy kills Chin Ku murders at the funeral, is from "Fist of Fury" (Chen Zhen kills the japanese cooks). It is never mention if there were work for Dr. Land, how they killed Chin Ku and why. The corpes also never got found from anyone. There is no explaning why Billy works for the interpol. Why Ann tries to kill Dr. Land and his men at the Martial Arts tournament with gun? Because Billy had to go underground..For Billys Way to the Tower, the Editor uses Footage from "Enter the game of Death" with Fightscenes. I don't like it. 

The way how the editor cut together all the footage, is very unprofessional. He even uses the whole opening credits of "Game of Death" (1978) unedited Sometimes he cuts away a littlte. dialog, which doesn't work with the new story or in one scene Billy and the interpol guy talk, but the sound is off. He could have done this cut even better. 

I also watch "Game of Death - Final Cut Version". It contains the whole original G.o.D Footage + a new created prolog and a short endscene. For the opening the japanese editor uses Footage of "The Story" film from "A warriors journey", Airport scenes from "Tower of Death" (Korean Version), a phone cell scene with Billy Lo from G.O.D., a scene from "Marlowe", in which Bruce passes a group of people and another scenes from G.O.D.2 (A monk watch with Bobby Lo the zelluid film). The sad thing about it is, that the speaking language is a asian one and the only subtitles are japanese. So I understood nothing. 

For the end sequence, the editor shooted a scene with a guy, dressed like bruce, at the original pagoda area. It shows how Bruce leaves the pagoda + a close up of Bruce's face. 

Edited by DT-Nice1988
  • Like 2

DT-Nice1988

Now I saw two other fan cuts. 

The first one was an unnamed fan cut from a Japanese guy. 

The cut only includes the international version of "Game of Death" (1978), but edited it on a way, the whole film feels more like a "Bruce Lee" film. In fighting scenes he use always the real fighting yells of Bruce Lee. In scenes Billy Lo is seen without sunglasses, the editor cuts in more or alternate close up's, so you more less than before can't discover it is not Bruce Lee who played Billy Lo. The first two fight sequences Billy is originally beaten up by Dr. Lands Men. We all know Bruce was never beaten up in his films. So the Editor had cut the footage, before that happened. In the first fight sequence (on the street) the footage jumps suddenly to Steiner, who tells Billy and Ann, they have time to response until tomorrow. In the fight sequence at the chinese opera, Billy leaves the room through a door. This was done with footage of Marlowe (After Bruce destroys Marlowe's office. The Death of Dr. Land was also changed in this cut. Land stands at the final on the roof. Billy follows him and throw a wooden arrow in his back. Then Land fells off the roof to his death. 

But the best Fan Cut is clearly Makone's "Game of Death - Alternate Version". 

I will write about it tonight. 

• Like 1

DT-Nice1988

Here my thoughs on the great "Game of Death - Alternate Version" 

The Story is nearly the same as the one from "Game of Death 2.5". But makone made everything better. 

Story: Billy & Ching Ku are best friends. A Syndicate, leads by Dr. Land, try to rekrute Chin Ku, but he decline it. So they sent Slick to kill him. Billy wants revenge. But fist speaks with Chin Ku's stepdaughter, who gives him a Zelluloid film. His master, the shaolin abt, tells him to contact an interpol guy named Braithwaite to show the film. The man tells Billie, that Dr. Land and his gang are hiding in a pagoda and he also want to catch him. Around the pagoda area is a security system. It can detect any kinds of guns and close the pagoda door, in the case somebody near the pagoda has one. The interpol man don't have a martial arts expert, who is good enough to beat the guards. So Billy Lo is his best chance to catch Dr. Land and proves for his criminal actions. The man gives Billy two men for the mission (played by James Tien and Chieh Yuan) Billy knows one of them, but seems not to like him that much (James Tien). So the three men fights trough the tower and only Billy survives. Dr. Land already kills himself after noone of his men are left. At the very end Billy leaves the pagoda. 

This cut is so great. He edited all the different footage on a way... It feels like it belong together. The opening credits is a big highlight, for itself. In this he changed nearly every foootage, that was edited in. Instead of the Bruce Lee Vs. Norris Footage, he replace it With G. O. D Footage. .To create a story without plotholes, he used an easy trick. All the footage has an asian speach dub, so the most viewers don't know what the actors are speaking. He creates english subtitles. On this way he could say the actors, what he want them to say. He uses in the hole film the John Berry Game of Death Main Theme and he used the right parts on the right scenes. An example is a scene, in which Billy sees the dead body of Chin Ku at the temple and The slow Billy Lo Funeral variation starts and makes the whole scene more emotional and sad. What I am also like is the way he brings in James Tien and Chieh Yuan (So he doesn't have to cut them out). They are introduce as interpol guys, who wants to help Billie. 

Makone creates even a great scene, that gives us a reason, why Lee comes later to the pagoda fights (Tien and Yuan has to fight Dan Inosanto alone at the beginning of the footage). He combines the graveyard scene from "Enter The Dragon" with an Graveyard scene with James Tien (I don't know from Which film the footage cames from). On this way Lee and Tien have a little conversation. Lee/Lo tells him he comes later next day, he has do to one think first... And that's to kill Carl Millee after the Martial Arts Tournament. After that the film brings us, with really great footage from the original Pagoda area, to the original G. O. D Footage.

Like in the G. O. D. 2.5 Edit, he changed the Death of Dr. Land. The fake suicide is here also a real one. But there was no other way, because the originally following footage woul reveal, that Dr. Land could not hiding all the time in the pagoda (You know in the '78 Robert Clause Version, Dr. Land and his men are in the red pepper restaurant). The film ends with the self shooted scene from "Game of Death - Final Cut" (Bruce leaves the Pagoda)and some Air footage from the Area. 

• Like 1

Sounds cool. Is Makeone still sharing the film? If so, please send me a link via PM. I'd be interested to take a look at it. Thx

• Like 1

DragonClaws
On 6/17/2019 at 9:57 PM, DT-Nice1988 said:

Here my thoughs on the great "Game of Death - Alternate Version" 

The Story is nearly the same as the one from "Game of Death 2.5". But makone made everything better. 

On 6/18/2019 at 4:03 PM, Alan C said:

Sounds cool. Is Makeone still sharing the film? If so, please send me a link via PM. I'd be interested to take a look at it. Thx

Thats the only fan-cut I've sat all the way through, and it was really good. Far better than what Robert Clouse and Co did with th 1978 film. That said, as fans we have the benefit of hindsight, and perhaps ore knowledge on the film.

Edited by DragonClaws

Just watched this edit before the site went down! 

I loved it! You have to have a low tolerance for plot holes and other such technicalities, but let your imagination take over. At the end of the day, it was amazing. I like the fact that the Billy Lo character went to avenge Chin Ku instead of Chin Ku being a big baddie. 

PS. Does anyone know where I can get all of the GOD II soundtrack in good quality?

• Like 3

Drunksnake
On 6/7/2019 at 11:22 PM, makone said:

Are there any copies available on dvd?

• Like 2

Drunksnake
On 11/22/2019 at 9:15 AM, DT-Nice1988 said:

He’s done a great job on this, far more entertaining than the 1978 version! I like how he’s got around Bruce getting to the tower after James Tien And Chei Yuen. I’d like to own a copy of this. Just waiting for Redux now.

• Like 3

Duel to the Death
2 hours ago, Duel to the Death said:

Here is a fan edit i found the other day. He mixes some of Game of Death 2 with Game of Death and adds the reconstruction to it. I can't recall if someone posted this in one of the forums or if i found it randomly. I'd hate to not give credit but i don't remember. 

There was another fan edit someone shared on another forum recently. But looks like they deleted it. Luckily i downloaded it for myself. 

1 hour ago, makone said:

I made this, funny thing is it was first called game of death redux but I changed it when I remade the title credits.

1 hour ago, Duel to the Death said:

Also funny is I just found the thread this was mentioned in last year. I was about to message you about it. Is your personal copy any better quality than what is on YouTube? Because I would love to have a copy of it from the source himself. :) 

1 hour ago, makone said:

Sorry I don’t have it anymore, my computer decided to blow 3 hdds earlier this year and I lost loads of stuff.

l did dl this one just so I have a copy.

1 hour ago, Duel to the Death said:

That is a big shame. Sorry to hear. Maybe someone here has a copy that you may have sent them. And i'd take a copy as well if someone does :)

If i may make a friendly critique of the movie so far, once in a while the subtitles are a little hard to read and blend in with the background. I think a small black outline around them would of helped. 

57 minutes ago, makone said:

The original version I did wasn’t stretched like that.

it had white and yellow subtitles 

critique as much as you like, I could find lots I would change.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:22 PM, makone said:

I thought i'd bring this conversation over here to not clog up the Criterion thread.  Does anyone here have an original copy of this in particular fan cut? I would love to have it. 

As far as critiques go, i can't think of anything major. It is darn well near perfect how the story and scenes meld together. On the minor side there was at least 2 scenes where there was complete silence and complete silence is always awkward. There should be some sort of background noise. But i am curious what you would change.

Oh 1 thing i noticed is you chose to not show Kareem's red eyes. I like when they show his eyes but only how they did it in A Warriors Journey. Not a fan of the Lizard eyes they added in the later edits. 

• Like 1

Duel to the Death

Looks like i downloaded this just in time. Sorry they terminated your channel. Those bastards. Some companies are nicer and just demonetize your videos and make money off you (which is smart). But some are just jerks and file copyright strikes. 

On 11/22/2019 at 4:15 AM, DT-Nice1988 said:

• Like 1

When I first made it, I put the title credits on first then the whole thing.

l got copyright strikes within a few days. So he lasted a lot longer than I did, it’s a shame because he had some good stuff on.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2020 at 11:13 PM, Duel to the Death said:

As far as critiques go, i can't think of anything major. It is darn well near perfect how the story and scenes meld together. On the minor side there was at least 2 scenes where there was complete silence and complete silence is always awkward. There should be some sort of background noise. But i am curious what you would change.

Oh 1 thing i noticed is you chose to not show Kareem's red eyes. I like when they show his eyes but only how they did it in A Warriors Journey. Not a fan of the Lizard eyes they added in the later edits. 

I don’t like the whole red eyes thing personally if I had to pick one it would be the warriors journey look because I can’t stand the lizard eyes.

there are lots of things I would change or tighten up.

I would cut quite a bit out of the original footage (I know blasphemy right) 

i would like to try different footage from other movies like Dragon Tamers and Devils Treasure maybe even Longstreet but that would change some of the storyline.

• Like 3

Duel to the Death

I'm not familiar with Dragon Tamers or Devils Treasure. Longstreet was that tv show he was on right? I've only seen clips in documentaries. 

Edited by Duel to the Death
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 6:22 PM, makone said:

Because of the redux release, I did a search on game of death fan edits just in case some one did one. YouTube searches have to be so precise. I heard about the Integral edit but never found it. Someone posted your edit but his channel was shutdown. Thankfully I downloaded it 2 days before it disappeared. I have a few fan edits from other movies. So I'm a fan of them.

You did a great job my friend. GOD and GOD 2 are my guilty pleasures. The Redux brought up a lot questions in forums about how lame the 78 version us until Bruce shows up at the end.

You've created a simple version that makes sense. The edits and use of the John Barry music is brilliant. The music works a little better than the redux version in my opinion. I've seen 1 and 2 so many times, I'm very familiar with the footage and story. You did a great job.

I confess I've watched it over ten times already and again last week.

I've done some edits and I kniwvits s lot if work. Been thinking about doing a Longstreet fan edit using the lee footage and Ironside.

The opening to your edit was great too. I posted the opening to my YouTube channel looking for any info on the edit. I decided to Google it and see if there was any info on it and I came across the forum.

The edit is now on my favorites list of Lee work.

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1