June 1974 : UK premiere Way of Dragon

Coliseum1972

2 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

One thing I wondered about Way: Is Unicorn's character being called "Jimmy" a dig at Wang Yu? I don't know if he was using that name at the time, but it does seem to fit. The character is boastful about his karate, but proves not up to the challenge.

I've never looked at it that way before, in regards to the possibe Jimmy Wang Yu dig.

Was Jimmy just his character name in the English dub?, or did Bruce Lee write it like that in the original script?.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
7 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Strangely this was cut in the USA as well-but not the fight sequences.Stuff like the opening airport sequence was cut from Return Of The Dragon on USA release.

I suspect the US distributors felt the film took too long to get to the fights...or that the out-of-focus gurreila film-making would give everyone eyestrain!

Killer Meteor
6 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I've never looked at it that way before, in regards to the possibe Jimmy Wang Yu dig.

Was Jimmy just his character name in the English dub?, or did Bruce Lee write it like that in the original script?.

He's called Jimmy in the Mandarin version as well. Tony, Thomas and Robert have the same names as the actors who play them.

Killer Meteor

Roger Ebert's review of Way - https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/return-of-the-dragon-1974

" I wedged my way into the theater just in time for a mighty roar as Lee eliminated three bad guys with one sweep of his mighty fist, disarmed a Mafioso and sent him head over heels into a pile of packing crates, and zapped a couple more goons with his finger of vengeance. It didn't take me long to figure out the plot. "

Sounds like he was 20 minutes late!

Interesting how he assumes the final graveyard scene has Tang Lung visiting Colt's grave, given it's more likely for the dead waiters.

Come to think of it, was Thomas killed or just knocked out by Bob (or Fred, as the credits have it!)?

2 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Interesting how he assumes the final graveyard scene has Tang Lung visiting Colt's grave, given it's more likely for the dead waiters.

It's for the waiter's, I cant see the other two characters caring about Colt?. Wasn't this scene filmed in Hong Kong?.

3 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Come to think of it, was Thomas killed or just knocked out by Bob (or Fred, as the credits have it!)?

I'm not sure, you assume the evil uncle takes care of him with the knife?.

8 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

He's called Jimmy in the Mandarin version as well. Tony, Thomas and Robert have the same names as the actors who play them. 

You might have something with the Jimmy Wang Yu reference @Killer Meteor.

10 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

I suspect the US distributors felt the film took too long to get to the fights...or that the out-of-focus gurreila film-making would give everyone eyestrain!

Remember thinking how low budget this looked when I first watched it. I've viewed film's that makes WOTD look like a Leone masterpeice since then.

Killer Meteor

"I'm not sure, you assume the evil uncle takes care of him with the knife?."

Dunno, he's still lying still on the ground at the end.

Archived