June 1974 : UK premiere Way of Dragon

Coliseum1972

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws

Hi @Coliseum1972, the Hong Kong Legends R2 DVD release of WOTD, featured some U.K Radio Spot for Way of The Dragon. The only one I can find online, is for the later re-issue paired with Fist of Fury(1972). The British T.V trailer below, I've seen on any offical DVD release

DragonClaws

Now thats a real movie double bill, even if the print of WOTD was missing about fifteen minutes of fight footage. They then gave it an X-Rating, despite the censors turning it into a PG  rated fim.

P3041515.jpg

Talking of double bills from the 70's, i'm a fan but still can't believe that ETD was the second half of a double header with a Bruce Li movie 🙄

dragon.jpg

18 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Turning nunchucks into clubs...what a depressing era.

The Front Row UK VHS of 'The Way of the Dragon' was risible.

The BBFC went a bit too nanny state every time Bruce lifted a leg.

DragonClaws

1 hour ago, chen lung said:

The BBFC went a bit too nanny state every time Bruce lifted a leg.

The nunchaku were not banned on-screen in the U.K, when Enter The Dragon and Fist of Fury were first released. By the time Way of The Dragon was classified by the BBFC, they had received a lot of negative feedback in regards to BL films. They changed their policy on Martial Art's weapons's, and WOTD was one film to get hit really bad by the change.

19 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Dark days indeed. The first copy of ETD that I bought, featured the censored cover art. Yet the uncensored version appeared in Martial Arts magazines of the time.

17 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The nunchaku were not banned on-screen in the U.K, when Enter The Dragon and Fist of Fury were first released. By the time Way of The Dragon was classified by the BBFC, they had received a lot of negative feedback in regards to BL films. They changed their policy on Martial Art's weapons's, and WOTD was one film to get hit really bad by the change.

Yes, I think it was about 1986.

What I meant was the other stuff (sorry, my quote suggests I was referring to nunchaku stuff) - see details. With a portion of the film missing, I'm assuming the tape was sold at a reduced price?:D

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, chen lung said:

I'm assuming the tape was sold at a reduced price?:D

I picked up that exact same version from a kid at school, that print wasnt even worth giving away.

3 hours ago, chen lung said:

Yes, I think it was about 1986.

The nunchaku ban was already in place by mid 1974, effecting the then still unreleased WOTD. All later re-issues of FOF & ETD, were cut to fit the new policy.

Coliseum1972

Martial arts films were prolly shown uncut in Denmark , they even bragged about TX Chainsaw being shown there on the movie poster ("banned in several countries , legal in DK")

Coliseum1972

Going bit OT , 2 scenes were cut from Way italian VHS :

-entire bank scene

- "Wherever Tang Lung goes he will always travel by himself" , that line was cut

They did use some HK music in Coliseum fight

sifu iron perm
On 6/9/2019 at 11:49 PM, Killer Meteor said:

i always athought it was a french bread stick. 

Coliseum1972

Way italian (premiere january '74 , re-issue june '74 , then many more cinematic re-issues)

Omni Dragon
19 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

i always athought it was a french bread stick. 

Did the designer ba forguette to include the chain?

DragonClaws

Original U.K Theatrical trailer(minus nunchaku).

Another much shorter 190's U.K promotional trailer.

sifu iron perm
On 6/29/2019 at 11:14 PM, DragonClaws said:

bruce-lee-cathay-films-poster-1.png

Wish i could rewind back time man!!

On 8/13/2019 at 6:05 PM, Killer Meteor said:

The butchery of the film by the BBFC should have seen James Ferman in jail!

WOTD was the most censored of all BL's films in the U.K. A good ten minutes edited out, censoring every single fight sequence to some degree. With the complete removal of some fights altogether.

s-l1600.jpg

51zzD4IvVRL.jpg

098d31f398ef4c75fec83f24a44bffaa.jpg

Killer Meteor

One thing I wondered about Way: Is Unicorn's character being called "Jimmy" a dig at Wang Yu? I don't know if he was using that name at the time, but it does seem to fit. The character is boastful about his karate, but proves not up to the challenge.

Lo Wei and Wang Yu fought with Bruce over actors Lee Quin and Nora Miao for Way and A Man Called Tiger, and I bet if Lo Wei worked with Bruce on Way, the head waiter would have been James Tien, not Unicorn.

Strangely this was cut in the USA as well-but not the fight sequences.Stuff like the opening airport sequence was cut from Return Of The Dragon on USA release.

Archived