Undercover Punch and Gun (2019)

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

Philip Ng and Andy On star in a film that was made in 2015 and is only now getting a release. Not a good sign. With that said, the trailer makes it look like mildly interesting...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, laagi said:

Is this actually available anywhere right now? I'd love to watch it...

It doesn't seem like this one got a lot of attention so hopefully it'll be fast-tracked to Blu Ray.

• Like 1

What the hell did I just watch :rofl There's so many things in this movie which are laughably bad at best. BUT there's also some nice action and stunt work on display.

And I can't help but wonder what happened to the likes of Philip Ng and Andy On. I wouldn't mind seeing them back on the "big screen".

Also I didn't expect Vanness Wu to bust some moves. I guess if you're just here for the action it's entertaining enough.

• Like 2

Nice entertaining movie to me. Exactly the 90’s action throwback movie I expected. But more like a sidaris movie than a an Hk movie. Goofy enough, I only regret the lack of blood and violence...

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:16 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

This is $30 - 40 on Amazon. Think I'm gonna wait a while.

$14 (admittedly without shipping) on dddhouse dude!  Support the local HK retailers, any HK disc sold on amazon will be through a 3rd party seller (so you'd also have to pay postage as well).

https://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=17260&LanguageID=0

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:00 AM, laagi said:

What the hell did I just watch :rofl There's so many things in this movie which are laughably bad at best. BUT there's also some nice action and stunt work on display.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:18 AM, Rodolphe Dux said:

Nice entertaining movie to me. Exactly the 90’s action throwback movie I expected.

I got through watching this one recently, and definitely concur with the above comments!  I gave it the full review treatment over at COF -

https://cityonfire.com/undercover-punch-and-gun-2019-review/

• Like 3

I enjoyed this one too. There are a lot of things wrong with it but I think it's a fun little nod to the 90's era of kung fu cinema. Phillip Ng handles the choreography well and I think Vanness Wu genuinely shines.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think Vanness Wu genuinely shines.

In a sun shining directly into your eyes kind of way?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

:monk_laughing:

Barely recognized the guy when watching IP Man 4. But he's pretty solid in it, I guess. Is he a Martial Artist or just acquired the skill as part of his acting resume? I know he's supposedly a big name in cantonese Soap Operas and a member of a boyband if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I know he was Dean Shek’ing it up but I honestly liked him. I thought he was a fun little goof and exhibited genuine charisma.

My wife thought he was a pain in the arse though.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Snagged a copy at Walmart earlier this week and watched this last night. 

Not gonna lie. I had reservations about this movie because Philip Ng has never impressed me as a screen fighter. Seems like anything I've ever watched him in required him performing with a lot of wire assistance. I'm happy to say there is very little in this. And I'm equally happy to admit that he really impressed me in this. He sells his fights and pulls off some nice combos. Considering he took on the duties of choreographer, too, he showcases himself and his costars well. 

I like Andy On, who never really seems to catch a break as an action star. His & Ng's chemistry is good. I really liked On's character. A touch of eccentricity, a trait he appreciates in others, and very ruthless. In the finale, an act against one of his own people caught me completely off guard. I was verbally surprised because that's not what I thought was about to happen.

Vanness Wu impressed me. I found him nowhere near Dean Shek's level of annoyance. He strikes me more as the Chinese version of Dax Shepard. But the guy performs some neat stuntwork, handles his fight scenes really well, and is stupid dexterous with a balisong knife.

Luxia Jiang shows up as a henchwoman. She's looking a little buff, and she and Ng have a really nice fight scene. This makes me want to go back and watch Coweb and Bad Blood now.

Solely from an action/fight choreography standpoint, this movie is solid. There is some impressive stuntwork. But the fight scenes are well done in choreography, framing, and editing. There are definitely segments that are reminiscent to the 80's actioners out of HK. Honestly, I'm surprised at how surprised I am for enjoying this. 

Dadgum, I hope this did well at the Chinese box office. I might actually get thrilled about the state of the genre if more like this came down the pike. And I encourage y'all to support this effort. This is the stuff we should be getting out of China. A serviceable premise with solid action & stuntwork, not "cops & robbers" movies with stupid wuxia styled effects. If Ng had been making movies like this, I would have watched him long ago. Hopefully he'll stick to this.

• Like 6

Fun fact: The Chinese title for this movie translates as "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon." The Mandarin title for the 2000 film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is 臥虎藏龍, or Wò hǔ cáng long. The Mandarin title for this movie is 臥虎潛龍, or Wò hǔ qián lóng. The characters 藏 (cáng) and 潛 (qián) are synonyms.

And what is up with film production in the 21st century that about about 15 production companies are cited before the movie starts, while some 38 individuals are given producer credits as well: 13 executive producer credits, three co-executive producers, ten co-producers, three producers, two supervising producers, two associate producers, three administrative producers, and two more names in the “Produced by” credits?

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1