Zatoichi (Katsu era) English dubs?

Omni Dragon

Omni Dragon

Has anyone seen/heard or know of English dub versions of the Zatoichi movies with Shintaro Katsu? (I think there might be a dubbed version of Kitano's 2003 Zatoichi).

I ask the question because Ted Thomas has mentioned dubbing Zatoichi in a couple of interviews, I'd love to hear an Axis International dub of Zatoichi movies, though I guess these are hard to find and may not even exist anymore? 

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

There may be a one off somewhere, but I kind of doubt it. Zatoichi was shown in art house and Japantowns, so subs and original language only. By the time the international martial arts boom hit, Zatoichi was winding down, and the movies were too slow for urban audiences. Now, I like them fine, but if you're going to put a movie on a triple bill with SuperFly TNT, and the Thing With Two Heads, it better be action packed.

The Baby Cart from Hell/Lone Wolf were all dubbed in English however, as they were gory and had more action.

Edited by NoKUNGFUforYU
spelling
  • Like 4

Omni Dragon

Below is what Ted Thomas has said about Zatoichi in interviews:

From https://vantagepointinterviews.com/2017/05/17/man-of-a-thousand-voices-hong-kong-voice-actor-ted-thomas-on-his-prolific-dubbing-career/ 'MAN OF A THOUSAND VOICES! Hong Kong Voice Actor Ted Thomas on His Prolific Dubbing Career!' by Brett Homenick :

(BH=Brett Homenick and TT=Ted Thomas) 

BH: On the subject of working with Toho from Japan, did you find them difficult to work with? A lot of companies have.

TT: I didn’t. Normally I’d work through a Chinese intermediary, but a couple of their guys did come to the studio one day to watch the film dubbing. They were very silent and very pleasant and everything. In fact, they took us out for dinner later.

At this time, it wasn’t just monster movies from Japan. We had … what was his name? The blind swordsman.

BH: Zatoichi.

TT: Zatoichi, yeah, we did all his movies...

BH: On the subject of the Toho and Godzilla movies, do you have any specific memories of dubbing any of those films?

TT: Yes. We all liked doing the swordsman, the Zatoichi films. I thought they were very original. They were very imaginative movies. And I think the character, although in a way preposterous, in another way was quite plausible.

At around 06:16 for about a minute in the video below, Ted Thomas talks about dubbing Zatoichi and other Japanese movies. (Even though he confuses Zatoichi with The One Armed Swordsman. I assume he was fundamentally referring to Zatoichi).

• Like 3

Yeah, I had the same question too when I first listened to Ted Thomas's interview.

I would love to hear the English dubs as he mentioned enjoying working on the dubs for those films.

BTW, there is a beautifully remastered bluray box of all the Zatoichi films (minus the one from 1989) from Criterion. Of course, there are no English dubs because Criterion likes to keep their releases true to the original, though they do sometimes include English dubs as in the case with Rashomon and Police Story.

• Like 4

I am just starting the 25 movie blu ray set - I have seen Zatoichi meets the One Armed Swordsman because I wanted to see Chang Yi...who was gone before the credits! I do however live the Lead actor and I am about to watch the 24 + movies that are next to be seen!

So lucky to be able to see these in such quality as the Critereon set, only with there were Ted Thomas dubs!!!!!!

Let's see how long it takes to watch them all  😨

• Like 5

Does anyone know what release could have had an English dub? All the legit DVD releases were in Japanese, as were all the VHS releases I've seen. Only other choice would be a dub for a theatrical release. Is that possible? I'd be really interested in hearing an English dub for these films.

• Like 4

If dubs do exist for Zatoichi, it would probably feature the same voice actors we often heard. I have few dubbed Japanese films that features those same voices. However, I didn't watch many dubbed Japanese films growing up, so when I do across one, it doesn't give off that nostalgic feeling even if it's same voice actors from the kung fu movie scenes.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 5/29/2019 at 2:03 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

There may be a one off somewhere, but I kind of doubt it. Zatoichi was shown in art house and Japantowns, so subs and original language only. By the time the international martial arts boom hit, Zatoichi was winding down, and the movies were too slow for urban audiences. Now, I like them fine, but if you're going to put a movie on a triple bill with SuperFly TNT, and the Thing With Two Heads, it better be action packed.

The Baby Cart from Hell/Lone Wolf were all dubbed in English however, as they were gory and had more action.

I've only seen one 70's dub for Lone Wolf, which was LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH (not counting SHOGUN ASSASSIN). I wonder if the others ever got prepared by Toho for English markets, even if they didn't get released.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I've only seen one 70's dub for Lone Wolf, which was LIGHTNING SWORDS OF DEATH (not counting SHOGUN ASSASSIN). I wonder if the others ever got prepared by Toho for English markets, even if they didn't get released.

All the lone wolfs are dubbed. I have them. 

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
7 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Is that the Aniemgo releases? I thought they were new dubs.

You might be right. I think I got it off CG. That being said,Baby Cart From Hell the River Styx was dubbed and shown at the grindhouses in 1980. 

Edited by NoKUNGFUforYU
  • Like 3

On 10/7/2019 at 8:28 PM, Gaijin84 said:

Does anyone know what release could have had an English dub? All the legit DVD releases were in Japanese, as were all the VHS releases I've seen. Only other choice would be a dub for a theatrical release. Is that possible? I'd be really interested in hearing an English dub for these films.

The latter option seems the most probable to me, as like you I'm not aware of a home media release with an English Dub either. 

On 10/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, AlexanderFu said:

I'll tell you what, they should get Ted Thomas in the studio to do some more dubbing before it's too late!

The most recent Ted Thomas dub I'm aware of is the new dub for Wheels on Meals. I assume that was done around 2006.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Or you could learn Japanese....

Even if I was to learn Japanese the English dub would still have a different character to it.

As an analogue there are movies with more than one English dub and sometimes I like to hear the differences. Same goes for subtitle scripts. The different words and performances can give a different experience. Even if it is only a slight difference, it is a difference none the less.

But for now Japanese audio with English subtitles will do.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 2/17/2020 at 11:18 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

You might be right. I think I got it off CG. That being said,Baby Cart From Hell the River Styx was dubbed and shown at the grindhouses in 1980. 

That was Shogun Assassin,right?

• Like 3

Omni Dragon
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Were there ever English dubs for the Lady Snowblood films?

I think I heard about an English language version called Kill Bill or something...:coveredlaugh 

Not what you asked but there was English dubs for the Crimson Bat series Not sure if there has been any official home media releases though?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

dionbrother

That release of ZATOICHI ON THE ROAD was released dubbed and played New York theaters, sometimes double billed with the Green Hornet compilation movie FURY OF THE DRAGON.

• Like 3

Omni Dragon
On 6/5/2021 at 1:43 PM, Killer Meteor said:

American poster for ZATOICHI THE BLIND SWORDSMAN, a re-titled ZATOICHI ON THE ROAD

20 hours ago, dionbrother said:

That release of ZATOICHI ON THE ROAD was released dubbed and played New York theaters, sometimes double billed with the Green Hornet compilation movie FURY OF THE DRAGON.

Thank you for mentioning that, it's intriguing.

• Like 3

odioustrident
On 2/17/2020 at 6:18 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I know Baby Cart to Hades was dubbed and released around '77 / '78 to circuits like Jamaica, the Middle East and US Army bases. I assume this dub is different from Columbia Pictures dub which was supposedly commissioned for the US release in 1973 ? I think Toho is the source of the international dub.

Edited by odioustrident
  • Like 3

dionbrother

Likely the same dub, which was a Toho export dub.  Not particularly well done either, and the worst Baby Cart movie to import first.

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 6/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, Killer Meteor said:

American poster for ZATOICHI THE BLIND SWORDSMAN, a re-titled ZATOICHI ON THE ROAD

314608%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=url

On 6/5/2021 at 6:55 PM, dionbrother said:

Well I doubt it played with that poster, because I drew that artwork of Zatoichi for Merlin of Samurai Video around 1994-1995! :tongue: I forgot that I ever even did this until I saw somebody selling a poster of it a few months ago on eBay. I did not draw the silhouetted figures at the bottom, but I drew Zatoichi cutting the leaf and maybe that smaller jumping figure too. Not sure about the jumper.

It's so odd that I did so many drawings and sculptures which I sold or gave away when I was younger- stuff that I don't have photos or copies of. We had to use actual film to take pictures back then, and it wasn't cheap to buy nor to get it developed. So if I didn't have film in my camera and I sold something, that was it. I rarely ever saw or thought of it again. Occasionally I'll run into people that will mention stuff of mine that they got long ago, and it's kind of a trip when they describe it and I'm able to retrieve the memory of it.

• Like 2