The Hidden Sword: Huang Gi, Summer Xu-Qing, Chen Kuen-Tai, Chen Xia (2019)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

It's been awhile since this movie was first announced. Here's the trailer for the mster's latest work. While I've seen this movie mentioned in other thread's, it doesnt appear to have one of its own?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Drunken Monk
13 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Anyone here on the forums, looking forward to this one?

The trailer didn't grab me but then Hu Xaofeng's films rarely do. It's only when I finally watch them that I'm interested. It's 50/50 with me though. I disliked Judge Archer but enjoyed The Final Master for the most part.

• Like 2

Rodolphe Dux
27 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Anyone here on the forums, looking forward to this one?

I’m a big fan of Final Master and basically everything Hu Xaofeng does, I like his story telling and cinematography. Plus swords fascinate me. So I can’t wait! 

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 2

Hell yes I am ready. Though the “era” of the film isn’t as interesting to me, I know* it’s going to be good. I am a fan of Xu’s. I would be excited if it came to town.

*(keep fingers crossed)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

film has been canceled due to "market reasons."

which prob means more censorship in disguise

• Like 2

China rains on our parade again.   Here's one trailer still on Youtube, since the movie was pulled - 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 1

Well, it could work for the film if they advertised it as "Banned in China" 😀. Maybe that means we will get a quicker release here in the States or an alternate path for this movie. Probably won't see a HK blu-ray release though. So, guess we gotta wait for Welgo to get it in the theaters or on home video. Or, maybe even a Netflix or some kind of similar digital release. As long as it sees a blu-ray release at some point. 

• Like 1

Several films in China have been postponed for "technical reasons" lately including the Hidden Blade and The 800 (which is China's first film be shot entirely in digital IMAX cameras). 

This year marks the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China and it's pretty obvious that these two films pertain to themes during WW2 where they glorify the KMT, the former government of China. As a result, the Chinese government is more likely to show more harmonious-friendly films that showcases lighter or gloried aspects of China and the Party.

My guess is that these films will eventually be released but very likely after Oct. 1st, 2019, which is the October National Holiday (AKA when 1.3 billion people all go on vacation for a week and is pure nightmare across the country).

I was looking forward to Hidden because Xu Haofeng is definitely a fan of kung-fu films. And if you're a fan of old school kung-fu, he films long takes of fight sequences (more than 5 seconds) instead of the rapid quick cuts that are more common today that came from 90s HK kung-fu films.

However, Hidden was previously screened about two years ago at an international film festival so there should be some reviews of it

• Like 2